Painting rear lockers/BT tube area/Gas Locker

Featured Posts

Hi All, Now I've done the engine compartment I'm looking to paint the other ones, mainly the two lockers under the Semi-trad seats (where i store chains/pins etc), the Bow Thruster tube area and the Bow Gas Locker. None are too bad but need a bit of rust treatment (lots of 'ok' existing paint). I just used plain bilge paint in the engine bay but thinking i maybe need something a bit robust on these or it'll get very easily chipped especially in my chains locker?  I've read about Jotamastic 87 but this seems quite expensive.....   any other suggestions?  not fussed about colour etc

thanks!!!

rob

The other thing to do once you've painted the bottom of lockers is cut a piece of rubber scraper mat to fit. They're only a few quid from wilko but they need to be the ones with dimples on the underside to let water escape. 

A can of Jotamastic 90 will set you back around 70 quid but that's 4.5 litres including the hardener which is enough for 2 boats lockers, engine room bilges and as a primer for decks if they're ever taken back to bare steel. There's really no substitute for areas subject to standing water like lockers which flood. 

IMG_20220807_180110.jpg

• Greenie 2

I used ordinary gloss paint, still OK in the gas locker, not so good in other places but I do like Blackrose's suggestion of that rubbery mat stuff,, if there was a gas leak a bottle standing over the drain hole might just stop the gas draining away. 

• Greenie 1

On 07/08/2022 at 15:10, robtheplod said:

Hi All, Now I've done the engine compartment I'm looking to paint the other ones, mainly the two lockers under the Semi-trad seats (where i store chains/pins etc), the Bow Thruster tube area and the Bow Gas Locker. None are too bad but need a bit of rust treatment (lots of 'ok' existing paint). I just used plain bilge paint in the engine bay but thinking i maybe need something a bit robust on these or it'll get very easily chipped especially in my chains locker?  I've read about Jotamastic 87 but this seems quite expensive.....   any other suggestions?  not fussed about colour etc

thanks!!!

rob

I have  used Hammerite for locker interiors after wire brushing and suitable rust treatment, and over the years have found this works very well.

Howard

• Greenie 1

21 hours ago, blackrose said:

The other thing to do once you've painted the bottom of lockers is cut a piece of rubber scraper mat to fit. They're only a few quid from wilko but they need to be the ones with dimples on the underside to let water escape. 

A can of Jotamastic 90 will set you back around 70 quid but that's 4.5 litres including the hardener which is enough for 2 boats lockers, engine room bilges and as a primer for decks if they're ever taken back to bare steel. There's really no substitute for areas subject to standing water like lockers which flood. 

IMG_20220807_180110.jpg

Those mats are a good idea...  So you'd always recommend the Jotamastic 90?  does the metal need to go back to bare with this?

I've got a tin of blacking which I was going to use in the gas locker, but I think I'll buy a tin of that Ballistic as I need to coat the stern deck and the well deck. It'll not be a good, back to metal job.

Edited by LadyG