Fresh Drinking Water Supply L&L.

Nightwatch

Featured Posts

We are venturing eastwards from Skipton to Bingley Five Rise. We won’t do the The Five Rise in case they close them. Anyway, Are there are water supplies, apart from Boatyards twixt the two locations that I haven’t detected.

The two I saw, which you may be aware of, are as follows :- One is on the right hand bank, just after the small pedestrian swing bridge at the marina just before Bingley. The other is outside the Bingley Five Rise Cafe at the top of the locks.  Hope this helps.

Ken

OK.  We made Bingley to Skipton in one day so didn't need a refill until then.  I can't think of any others en-route, and had other boaters asking us the same question during the day, so it may be that the only other options would be Boatyards.  Hopefully somebody local has better knowledge.

We are not going from A to B on a journey but we are filling/wasting time in or around Skipton until theLocks reopen after a great deal of rain fall. Sadly this is uncertain presently.

I was hoping someone with more local knowledge may know of a tap tucked around a corner or similar. I don’t mind using boatyards, I’d rather not bother them.

Theres only two that I know off between Skipton and the Bingley Five.

Edited by Nightwatch

OK - don't hold me to this but I'm sure I've seen a very anonymous tap in the wall to the right (Eastbound) literally just after the Bar Lane bridge in Riddlesdon. That was a wee while ago and it could be non-functional - I didn't need water so didn't need to try it out. 

Assume you have spotted the two locations in Skippy. Snaygill is a non-starter at the moment - rely on a borehole which is running dry.

13 minutes ago, Opener said:

OK - don't hold me to this but I'm sure I've seen a very anonymous tap in the wall to the right (Eastbound) literally just after the Bar Lane bridge in Riddlesdon. That was a wee while ago and it could be non-functional - I didn't need water so didn't need to try it out. 

Assume you have spotted the two locations in Skippy. Snaygill is a non-starter at the moment - rely on a borehole which is running dry.

We will be full when we leave Skipton, but we will be away from here for a period of time. Maybe longer as we have just discovered our engine water pump has issues. We could stay here in Skipton but been here for some time and want/need a change of scenery.

2 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

We are not going from A to B on a journey but we are filling/wasting time in or around Skipton until theLocks reopen after a great deal of rain fall. Sadly this is uncertain presently.

I was hoping someone with more local knowledge may know of a tap tucked around a corner or similar. I don’t mind using boatyards, I’d rather not bother them.

Theres only two that I know off between Skipton and the Bingley Five.

Skipton to Bingley is only 5 hours so even if you are tucked up somewhere in the middle its not far to go for water

1 hour ago, hamsterfan said:

if it was Me I'd be looking to get on a section with a tap and stay put as the situation is getting worse day by day with more closures imminent, the last thing you want is to be stuck without water 

Correct. That’s what we want to achieve.

But as Brian has said, we are not far from Skipton and groceries and water and diesel etc. Just want a break from Skipton now and then.

Thanks for the info chaps. Especially the tap location in Riddelston.

9 minutes ago, LadyG said:

I bought water from one of the hire bases, £2.50, and very helpful, catching the boat etc, theye dropped the charge when it became an emergency situation. :)

You seam to turn every situation into an emergency, even buying water????

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, Midnight said:

The tap after the first bridge at Riddlesden was there last time we passed about 5 years ago.

Did you actually use it. I recall it not working 19 years it more ago after the cottage it's attached to was sold.

1 hour ago, PaulJ said:

Wow! You have a bloody good memory (Im envious) 😀

Should always check before posting. I have a finger problem with my phone in that I press 0 and invariably get 9.

So should be 10 years or more. Just checked my diaries and definitely not working 2011. The chandlery that used to be there said not working for a while.

1 hour ago, PaulJ said:

Wow! You have a bloody good memory (Im envious) 😀

Memory is a funny thing.

I can clearly remember my childhood and college days even after fifty odd years.Ask me what I did last week,and I would be stumped!

I've heard that memory is like a bucket.Once it is full, it overflows.  😳

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, pearley said:

Did you actually use it. I recall it not working 19 years it more ago after the cottage it's attached to was sold.

Hey-ho. Told you not to trust me! My sighting probably goes back about five years. Even then it looked a bit lonely and neglected - I did not need to use it. Would be useful to have up to date confirmation on status.

Ahhh! Puffer Parts - sadly missed. A right little Aladdin's Cave.

8 hours ago, pearley said:

On 08/08/2022 at 10:44, Mad Harold said:

Memory is a funny thing.

I can clearly remember my childhood and college days even after fifty odd years.Ask me what I did last week,and I would be stumped!

I've heard that memory is like a bucket.Once it is full, it overflows.  😳

I was asked yesterday which way we came up from Banbury to Skipton. I can picture all the junctions in my head but could I remember the names of the canals? Nope, not a chance. 

22 hours ago, Opener said:

Hey-ho. Told you not to trust me! My sighting probably goes back about five years. Even then it looked a bit lonely and neglected - I did not need to use it. Would be useful to have up to date confirmation on status.

Ahhh! Puffer Parts - sadly missed. A right little Aladdin's Cave.

Puffer parts was indeed the best for just about anything. He was Ian iirc? they eventualy sold out and I suppose it went downhill. Always called in when I was passing either in early short boat ownership, or in later years by car. Spent lots there for delivery, when I fitted out my new shell.

23 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Puffer parts was indeed the best for just about anything. He was Ian iirc? they eventualy sold out and I suppose it went downhill. Always called in when I was passing either in early short boat ownership, or in later years by car. Spent lots there for delivery, when I fitted out my new shell.

And did he not live opposite with a NB moored outside?

Was the boat called mingulay or something like that.

. Always called in when I was passing either in early short boat ownership, or in later years by car. Spent lots there for delivery, when I fitted out my new shell.

Puffer parts was harder to find by road than canal, but worth the effort always had just about everything you could want...

Edited by jonathanA
Sp

4 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Not sure they 'sold out' - round about our last visit we were asked to sign a petition relating to a proposed nearby housing development which would have prevented car parking/access. I recall a ladder/stile to access their entrance from the cut.