Odd payments to CRT

Arthur Marshall

Featured Posts

9 minutes ago, Goliath said:

I understand some street beggars have card readers now?

Or is that a load of tosh?

Big Issue sellers have them I believe, as so many people used to say "sorry mate, don't carry cash".

Now they whip out the card machine! 

• Happy 1

10 minutes ago, MtB said:

Big Issue sellers have them I believe, as so many people used to say "sorry mate, don't carry cash".

Now they whip out the card machine! 

They certainly do in Bristol.

1 hour ago, MtB said:

I'd be fascinated to hear how you know so much about my business terms of payment!

Because you are wrong. I only accept payment by debit or credit card, and have for a decade or more. 

I had no idea of what your business terms are until you revealed them here. In my post the "like yourself" statement refered to your status as an independant tradesman. If I had meant to suggest that you still only take cheques or cash,  I would have said  "A lot of indepedant tradesmen, still only take cheques or cash, like yourself"

Edited by David Schweizer

6 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

I've resentfully come round to using the card almost all the time, rather than cash. I don't like the record it keeps or the targetted advertising it throws up. Most of my life I've used cash only, basically because that's how I got paid. Still don't own a smartphone, though the one I've had for the last fifteen or so years thinks it is one.

The only cash I have is a one pound coin for the supermarket trolley :). I don't care that my card provider knows I've been to the supermarket or even the filling station. I've never had any targeted advertising though - how does that work?

Incidentally, my only contactless means of payment is my smartphone - if the phone's out of battery then all my physical cards require a PIN. I ditched one of my credit cards when they refused to issue me with a non-contactless card.

1 hour ago, George and Dragon said:

The only cash I have is a one pound coin for the supermarket trolley :). I don't care that my card provider knows I've been to the supermarket or even the filling station. I've never had any targeted advertising though - how does that work?

Incidentally, my only contactless means of payment is my smartphone - if the phone's out of battery then all my physical cards require a PIN. I ditched one of my credit cards when they refused to issue me with a non-contactless card.

It doesn't matter in the slightest that your card provider knows w!hat you buy, knows where you go and what you like to get up to in your spare time. But it's vital information for the companies who buy that information from them, or pick it up from tracking cookies. And it's awfully handy for the odd miscreant who buys the knowledge of what you own, and when you're likely to be out of your house and miles away, where you keep your car and how to crack the entry code...

Of course, if you've got Alexa or Siri or whatever listening in then I agree, you've already given away any privacy you ever had, and with that newfangled internet door camera they can watch you leave the house, just to make sure.

It amazes me that anyone bothers to lock their doors any more.

Edited by Arthur Marshall
  • Greenie 3

Cards are so yesterday - can't remember the last time I used card or cash for anything! Contactless on phone all day long. Only 1 thing to carry then and does everything.

Anyone that won't take card usually get paid via PayPal or bank transfer. BCNS had the last 3 cheques I wrote, and that was all for BCN Challenge entries before Richard and Sue took up organising it and accepting modern payments!

9 hours ago, Jerra said:

We have been taking cards at agricultural shows since the days of put the card in the machine and impress it onto paper and haven't had any problems.  I am not up on the technology but I have a suspicion the machine a bit like emergency calls uses the one with best reception.  However if all else fails cash is still available.

Not from me! Almost anyone insisting on cash without warning well in advance will simply lose the sale. I very rarely use cash and even rarer, carry it! But I do usually have a bag carrier who keeps it more than  I do.

I sent my debit card back to the bank and asked them to remove the contactless side of it, and carry cash, just in case I don't like the looks of the seller; use cash for most small purchases. 

Edited by Higgs

9 hours ago, Mike Todd said:

Not from me! Almost anyone insisting on cash without warning well in advance will simply lose the sale. I very rarely use cash and even rarer, carry it! But I do usually have a bag carrier who keeps it more than  I do.

Which is why we have been taking cards since way back!   Incidentally I am in the same position with regard to not carrying cash and having a bag carrier.  My brother keeps asking if I think I am royalty as they are the only people he can think of who doesn't carry money.

I read an article yesterday that said the Post Office had seen a rise in people taking out cash in July.  They believe this might be people moving away from cards, in order to keep a tighter control on personal finances.

14 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

I have been told by friends that some ladies of the night use credit card readers - - - - all day long!

There was (I think Jack Reacher / Lee Child?) a novel where the first claim was "PDQ in her handbag, must have been a hooker"

11 hours ago, Tom and Bex said:

Cards are so yesterday - can't remember the last time I used card or cash for anything! Contactless on phone all day long. Only 1 thing to carry then and does everything.

That's great until your phone goes t*ts up on week 2 of a 7 week cruise. Even then, unless paying a fortune for designer phones, not all phones are compatible with contactless payment. 

I always recall with a wry smile when one of my boiler service customers had a Hive installed, and when I had to isolate the power to replace a valve, I asked him how to switch back on, standing right by the controller he had no signal. The big manual button still worked.

• Greenie 1

18 minutes ago, Ex Brummie said:

.........., standing right by the controller he had no signal. The big manual button still worked.

If I understand correctly the 'signal' doesn't go direct from the phone to the Hive controller.

The signal goes  from the phone to the internet and then wirelessly from the router in the property  to the Hive controller.

3 hours ago, davem399 said:

I read an article yesterday that said the Post Office had seen a rise in people taking out cash in July.  They believe this might be people moving away from cards, in order to keep a tighter control on personal finances.

But it may also be switching to those traders who only accept cash for taxation reasons.

On 08/08/2022 at 09:22, Alan de Enfield said:

Paying money into the bank by cheque costs a lot less than paying in cash.

My Nat West account charges 0.7% to deposit my own money into my own account, whilst they only charge 70p to deposit a cheque.

Automated charges (Direct Debit, debit cards etc etc) are charged at 35p per transaction.

If I pay £5000 in cash into the bank, by bank charges are £35, if I pay a £5000 cheque into the bank the bank charges are £0.70.

Must be a business account?

I don't pay any bank transaction charges (with Natwest) for my personal account .

4 hours ago, MartynG said:

Must be a business account?

I don't pay any bank transaction charges (with Natwest) for my personal account .

It is a business account and I referenced the charges as (presumably) C&RT have a banking 'business account' and it is C&RTs charges we were discussing.

I did explain this on page 2 of the thread,

36 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

It is a business account and I referenced the charges as (presumably) C&RT have a banking 'business account' and it is C&RTs charges we were discussing.

I did explain this on page 2 of the thread,

So you did. I missed that.