Odd payments to CRT

Arthur Marshall

Featured Posts

21 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

Which "People" are they?

I take the view that my bank is holding a significant amount of my money in my current A/C for which I get no interest, and that the interest they make from that, more than adequately covers the few payment transactions I make directly from the account..

A business could take that attitude as well but it still cost in fees.

1 hour ago, Higgs said:

Ok, so they've got us cheque-paying mugs subsidising those other kinds of nice people. I don't think any has much to do with the payment method, more to do with (stick) encouraging people to have an electronic account with CRT.

And taking that a bit wider trying to coerce everyone to do electronic transactions (banking) so life becomes easier for the fraudsters, less easy for ordinary people and make more profits. Before anyone says electronic banking is easier I gave up trying to get £400 paid to my account because the bank simply refused to accept payments, the same data had been used for yeas without any problems. Then there is the advice that if you pay by electronic transfer you transfer a small amount first, check if it arrived, and the make the main payment

30 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

A lot of indepedant tradesmen, like yourself, still only take cheques or cash.

Most I know right down in size to the folk in the craft tent these days accept cards and in fact prefer them.

1 hour ago, Jerra said:

A business could take that attitude as well but it still cost in fees.

But MtB specifically referred to "People with only personal accounts" as not understanding how banking works.

Edited by David Schweizer

Just now, Lady C said:

Don't forget that the banks want to do away with both cheques and cash.  To this end, they set their charges to encourage digital banking.  

Whilst failing to do enough to protect customers from fraud and when it does occur do all they can to wriggle out of doing what they agreed they should do. The government has apart to play in this as well.

Once upon a time I had a wee gardening business and asked for cash or bank transfer, one insisted he should pay by cheque. I explained I would have to charge £1.50 for the bank transaction and £5.00 for my time visiting the bank.

My terms were cash or bank transfer. He had no idea about trivial costs, having been a finance director for forty years! He thought I should be charging £9.00 per hour as that was the wages of a plumber at the time. I explained I had to run a vehicle, work seasonally,  and pay for all my tools and material.

Another told me he wanted to pay by cheque in case I was fiddling the income tax and he would have to pay mine, lol.

These guys all got a receipt, as that was my bookkeeping system.

Edited by LadyG

Sorted. Phoned CRT to find no trace of any action on the DD.  Finally worked out that it's nothing to do with the the DD at all, it just looks like it on my bank statement.  It's purchases from the CRT shop at the Harecastle tunnel, which only takes card payments and not cash.  All a big fuss over nothing. Hey ho.

I don't think my brain is functioning properly yet after all the hassle of getting home through the T&M stoppages!  There again, the bank could have told me it was card payments, not the DD, which might have helped.

Edited by Arthur Marshall

1 minute ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Sorted. Phoned CRT to find no trace of any action on the DD.  Finally worked out that it's nothing to do with the the DD at all, it just looks like it on my bank statement.  It's purchases from the CRT shop at the Harecastle tunnel, which only takes card payments and not cash.  All a big fuss over nothing. Hey ho.

I don't think my brain is functioning properly yet after all the hassle of getting home through the T&M stoppages!

It's tricky is it not, I've started checking my statements weekly, amazing how some strange transactions pop up, but they are all genuine, just unfamiliar names.

9 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

I don't think my brain is functioning properly yet after all the hassle of getting home through the T&M stoppages!  There again, the bank could have told me it was card payments, not the DD, which might have helped.

I'm with Lloyds and that is indicated on the statement  DEB for a card and DD for direct debit. I just checked and there was a payment to CRT for £10. head scratch, double booking for the lift.

3 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

Well something useful came out of this thread, I had no idea there was a CRT shop at Harecastle tunnel. What sort of stuff do they sell?

I think its ice cream and coffee

10 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I think its ice cream and coffee

I can't see Ivor Batchelor doing that when he was Harecastle Tunnel Keeper!  😁

1 hour ago, Jerra said:

Most I know right down in size to the folk in the craft tent these days accept cards and in fact prefer them.

And what happens when their card reader won't work because of poor Internet connection? which has happened to me on more than one occassion. Good job I still carry a bit of cash at Outdoor events.

53 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

I can't see Ivor Batchelor doing that when he was Harecastle Tunnel Keeper!  😁

And what happens when their card reader won't work because of poor Internet connection? which has happened to me on more than one occassion. Good job I still carry a bit of cash at Outdoor events.

We have been taking cards at agricultural shows since the days of put the card in the machine and impress it onto paper and haven't had any problems.  I am not up on the technology but I have a suspicion the machine a bit like emergency calls uses the one with best reception.  However if all else fails cash is still available.

1 hour ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Occasionally, my one-off purchases from companies via PayPal are designated as direct debits on my Barclays account.

1 hour ago, Jerra said:

We have been taking cards at agricultural shows since the days of put the card in the machine and impress it onto paper and haven't had any problems.  I am not up on the technology but I have a suspicion the machine a bit like emergency calls uses the one with best reception.  However if all else fails cash is still available.

I was talking about mobile electronic card readers, which started to appear in the UK about ten years ago. The old press and print system, which I remember, worked mechanicly. The impressesd slips were processed in much the same way as cheques, and still had to be signed and mailed to, or payed into, the bank by hand. They also required the vendor to have a small machine process them.

Mobile card readers have appeared in much greater abundance since the Covid pandemioc started and, ironically, have made a much bigger contribution to the Bank's plans to discontinue cheques than any their efforts to persuade the general public.

They sell ice cream, milk, a few other bits and pieces. They offered to do any shopping we needed when we were stuck there. Card only,  no cash I assume for security reasons.

I've resentfully come round to using the card almost all the time, rather than cash. I don't like the record it keeps or the targetted advertising it throws up. Most of my life I've used cash only, basically because that's how I got paid. Still don't own a smartphone, though the one I've had for the last fifteen or so years thinks it is one.

2 hours ago, David Schweizer said:

I was talking about mobile electronic card readers, which started to appear in the UK about ten years ago. The old press and print system, which I remember, worked mechanicly. The impressesd slips were processed in much the same way as cheques, and still had to be signed and mailed to, or payed into, the bank by hand. They also required the vendor to have a small machine process them.

Mobile card readers have appeared in much greater abundance since the Covid pandemioc started and, ironically, have made a much bigger contribution to the Bank's plans to discontinue cheques than any their efforts to persuade the general public.

I realise that.  You clearly either misunderstood or didn't notice the "we have been taking cards since......"  We have used electronic card readers for a number of years.

7 hours ago, David Schweizer said:

A lot of indepedant tradesmen, like yourself, still only take cheques or cash.

I'd be fascinated to hear how you know so much about my business terms of payment!

Because you are wrong. I only accept payment by debit or credit card, and have for a decade or more. 

5 hours ago, Jerra said:

That's exactly what my card terminal does. It scrolls through all the service providers and logs onto whichever one handshakes first. 

It appears to change protocols too if it can't get a secure connection initially.