Odd payments to CRT

Arthur Marshall

Featured Posts

10 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

I'm thinking of cancelling the DD and reinstalling it just before licence date.

Why not make a card payment via  your account on the C&RT website  and  do not allow the card details to be saved ?

1 minute ago, Arthur Marshall said:

I have a vague memory that you get more discount if you pay by DD. I need to check...

Yes, you're discriminated against, if you pay by cheque. There's a reduction in early payment discount - that must qualify as an administration cost.

On 07/08/2022 at 08:42, Higgs said:

They shouldn't take anything but what was agreed specific, at the point of setting the account up. I still pay them by cheque. 

Likewise. You know where you are with cheques.

3 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

It really doesn't matter. It's easy enough to miss nuances on the net.

I can't see how it can. There's no reason whatsoever for them to take any money this or next month. And the amounts are daft - it must cost them more in admin than they're taking.

Your probably right as the amounts don't seem to fit. I have checked back and the process I was thinking of is used by PayPal and is for 0.01p. 

27 minutes ago, Higgs said:

Yes, you're discriminated against, if you pay by cheque. There's a reduction in early payment discount - that must qualify as an administration cost.

Paying money into the bank by cheque costs a lot less than paying in cash.

My Nat West account charges 0.7% to deposit my own money into my own account, whilst they only charge 70p to deposit a cheque.

Automated charges (Direct Debit, debit cards etc etc) are charged at 35p per transaction.

If I pay £5000 in cash into the bank, by bank charges are £35, if I pay a £5000 cheque into the bank the bank charges are £0.70.

17 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

My Nat West account charges 0.7% to deposit my own money into my own account, whilst they only charge 70p to deposit a cheque.

Automated charges (Direct Debit, debit cards etc etc) are charged at 35p per transaction.

If I pay £5000 in cash into the bank, by bank charges are £35, if I pay a £5000 cheque into the bank the bank charges are £0.70.

So at most, they should only be reducing my early payment discount by the 35p it costs more to clear a cheque than card or DD? 

Edited by Higgs

4 minutes ago, Higgs said:

So at most, they should only be reducing my early payment by the 35p it cost more to clear a cheque than card or DD? 

If only.

There will be a substantial labour input in opening an envelope and processing the cheque, then walking to the bank!🤣

2 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

If only.

There will be a substantial labour input in opening an envelope and processing the cheque, then walking to the bank!🤣

And shoe leather. At least it helps them get rid of the flat patches in their behinds, from all that office sitting down exhaustion.

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Higgs said:

And shoe leather. At least it helps them get rid of the flat patches in their behinds, from all that office sitting down exhaustion.

I suppose that with many working from home, taking cheques is even more difficult for them.

I find it funny when you phone a company and you can hear the kids playing or the baby crying in the background!

I heard an ice-cream van the other day when I phoned a manufacturer.

5 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Don't forget that if you are paying 'on the drip' it is 35p per transaction (so 12x 35p for a monthly DD)

Ok, so they've got us cheque-paying mugs subsidising those other kinds of nice people. I don't think any has much to do with the payment method, more to do with (stick) encouraging people to have an electronic account with CRT

Edited by Higgs

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

19 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Don't forget that if you are paying 'on the drip' it is 35p per transaction (so 12x 35p for a monthly DD)

What kind of NatWest account do you have that means you are charged for paying in cash or cheques, or for payments by DD.  We are with NatWest, and no such charges apply.

Presumably you get some significant benefit(s) to offst this?

3 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

What kind of NatWest account do you have that means you are charged for paying in cash or cheques, or for payments by DD.  We are with NatWest, and no such charges apply.

Presumably you get some significant benefit(s) to offst this?

Business account, almost certainly. 

People with only personal accounts have this weird idea that banking services cost nothing to supply!

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Athy said:

Likewise. You know where you are with cheques.

1 hour ago, MtB said:

Yes, in the last century

A lot of indepedant tradesmen, like yourself, still only take cheques or cash.

Edited by David Schweizer

57 minutes ago, MtB said:

People with only personal accounts have this weird idea that banking services cost nothing to supply!

Which "People" are they? People with Business Accounts are not the only ones who understand banking practice.

I take the view that my bank is holding a significant amount of my money in my current A/C for which I get no interest, and that the interest they make from that, more than adequately covers the few payment transactions I make directly from the account.

Edited by David Schweizer
  • Greenie 1

57 minutes ago, MtB said:

If you have a business account they even charge you if you go in for change, at least LLoyds did when we were in business.

If I went in with say two £20 notes for pound coins, as they didn't know I was part of the business it was free, if Mrs J went in the account was debited a fee.

A business account - other banks have the same / similar charging.

Being a business I expect C&RT will also have a business account ad be subject to charges.

If anyone gives me cash I pay it into my personal account (no charges) and then pay my business account with a cheque from my personal account.

So If I have £2k in cash patyment it costs me 70p to 'deposit' a cheque, or, if I do BACS it only costs me 35p instead of £14