Odd payments to CRT

Arthur Marshall

Featured Posts

I have given CRT my bank details to collect my licence automatically, which is fair enough. But I've just noticed that I have £1.50 going out of my account to them today, and in June they took £2.25, for no apparent reason. Has anyone else noticed these small chunks of dosh being taken and can explain why?

I have messaged CRT for an explanation.

5 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

I have given CRT my bank details to collect my licence automatically, which is fair enough. But I've just noticed that I have £1.50 going out of my account to them today, and in June they took £2.25, for no apparent reason. Has anyone else noticed these small chunks of dosh being taken and can explain why?

A bit worrying, with the extra licence fee charges upcoming. Nothing dripping out of my bank account.

22 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Is it a 'Fuel Surcharge'

I have had the same from our bin collection company, maybe C&RT are passing on the increased 'surcharge' costs from Biffa.

I always pay over the phone, never by BACS or Direct Debit. That way I can be certain that I'm paying the correct price.  I've had so many mistakes made on my account over the years e.g. no historic discount applied, wrong length of boat charged for, VAT not added to the bill, mooring fees wrongly calculated etc. etc.  

1 hour ago, Arthur Marshall said:

Did you authorise them to take the licence in one annual hit or is it a monthly direct debit and these little ones are extra to the normal monthly DD? Seems strange either way. I'm on monthly for licence and mooring (different dates) but nothing else (touch wood) seems to be leaking out to CaRT.

2 hours ago, BilgePump said:

Did you authorise them to take the licence in one annual hit or is it a monthly direct debit and these little ones are extra to the normal monthly DD? Seems strange either way. I'm on monthly for licence and mooring (different dates) but nothing else (touch wood) seems to be leaking out to CaRT.

No, it all goes at once. I've contacted them by their form a couple of time and I wonder if their charging me for replies...

• Greenie 1

That's the wrong answer from the bank and disgusting

They have fobbed you off like that. The DD code is very clear if you have not been told about the direct debit, the bank should refund it immediately. I would ring them again making it clear that you do not recognise the payment  I would also formally complain about the previous completely wrong information and ask for that to be formally investigated.  

I'll bet its barcalys or santander...

Cross posted with MTB 

Edited by jonathanA
X post

14 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

I have, but they'll just say it's off the DD so I've authorised it. I'll give crt a few days to reply and then cancel the DD.

Quote the "Direct Debit Guarantee" to them.

Direct Debit Guarantee

• The Guarantee is offered by all banks and building societies that accept instructions to pay Direct Debits
  • If there are any changes to the amount, date or frequency of your Direct Debit the organisation will notify you (normally 10 working days) in advance of your account being debited or as otherwise agreed. If you request the organisation to collect a payment, confirmation of the amount and date will be given to you at the time of the request
  • If an error is made in the payment of your Direct Debit, by the organisation or your bank or building society, you are entitled to a full and immediate refund of the amount paid from your bank or building society

My emphasis in the above.

https://www.directdebit.co.uk/direct-debit-explained/direct-debit-guarantee/

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, jonathanA said:

That's the wrong answer from the bank and disgusting

They have fobbed you off like that. The DD code is very clear if you have not been told about the direct debit, the bank should refund it immediately. I would ring them again making it clear that you do not recognise the payment  I would also formally complain about the previous completely wrong information and ask for that to be formally investigated.  

I'll bet its barcalys or santander...

Cross posted with MTB 

It's not the answer from the bank yet - just what I'm assuming they'll say. It's 1st Direct, which is usually pretty good. If I don't get a sensible response I'll phone, at the moment emailing. 

1 hour ago, Arthur Marshall said:

It's not the answer from the bank yet - just what I'm assuming they'll say. It's 1st Direct, which is usually pretty good. If I don't get a sensible response I'll phone, at the moment emailing. 

Which is waht you said in ypur original post.

People just don't read what you actually write - they assume you have written what they think they have read.

43 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

People just don't read what you actually write - they assume you have written what they think they have read.

Well Arthur should write what people think they read then there should be no misunderstanding.

Mind, with your spelling/typing it could be read anyway you want! 😁

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Well Arthur should write what people think they read then there should be no misunderstanding.

Mind, with your spelling/typing it could be read anyway you want! 😁

I'll try harder.... Anyway, the bank have confirmed it's from CRT and asked if they were authorised. I said I'd contact CRT for an explanation and get back to them. It's only four quid, but then it might not be, if you see what I mean.

5 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I think that's a little harsh Alan. Having re read the thread I'd say Arthur was not entirely clear about his communication  with his bank or as it now transpires his ability to see the future and their response. Therefore my response is as equally valid.... I note that that at least one other shall we say 'experienced' forum member did the same. 

Anyway the advice is still valid and correct from Mike and myself.

33 minutes ago, jonathanA said:

I think that's a little harsh Alan. Having re read the thread I'd say Arthur was not entirely clear about his communication  with his bank or as it now transpires his ability to see the future and their response. Therefore my response is as equally valid.... I note that that at least one other shall we say 'experienced' forum member did the same. 

Anyway the advice is still valid and correct from Mike and myself.

I do think I was clear enough - "I have, but they'll say..." implies I'm guessing their response, not stating it. And I was right  too, but of course so are you in saying that money should not be taken on a DD without notification. I wouldn't have picked anyone up on it, the posting of the DD rules was useful and appreciated. No-one has time to study posts unless it's critical stuff, you scan and respond.

It'll be interesting to see what CRT have to say. I'm thinking of cancelling the DD and reinstalling it just before licence date.

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

3 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

I do think I was clear enough - "I have, but they'll say..." implies I'm guessing their response, not stating it. And I was right  too, but of course so are you in saying that money should not be taken on a DD without notification. I wouldn't have picked anyone up on it, the posting of the DD rules was useful and appreciated. No-one has time to study posts unless it's critical stuff, you scan and respond.

It'll be interesting to see what CRT have to say. I'm thinking of cancelling the DD and reinstalling it just before licence date.

To be honest I scrubbed out my DD with them, it wasn't worth the faff. Four years ago they took the licence fee twice (fortunately not putting me into the red, more by luck than judgement) and then the following year failed to take the money at all in May when it was due, then sent me a demand for the full, undiscounted amount in July with the threat of a late payment charge. Managed to sort that out and paid the proper discounted amount, but since then I simply pay online by Credit Card. Haven't had any problems since.

Well we will have to agree to disagree...

But I'll take your reply as agreeing you were harsh 😀

As Arthur has stated the information re DD was valuable and hopefully will be to others which as far as I'm concerned is the important point,  don't you agree ? 

I have had a small number of incidents where a small transaction took place ahead of a scheduled transaction. It was explained to me that these were done to ensure that the main transaction would work when it was submitted, this normaly happens when either a new payment has been setup or payment details have been amended. 

Whether this is happening in your case I've no idea as the incidents, which are few and far between, have only been for pennies. Never been out of pocket with them.

Be interested to know if this applies in you case.

6 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Take what you want, but I do not accept I was 'harsh'. The sentence as written was self explanatory, but was obviously either not read properly or was beyond the comprehension of some.

It really doesn't matter. It's easy enough to miss nuances on the net.

5 hours ago, reg said:

I have had a small number of incidents where a small transaction took place ahead of a scheduled transaction. It was explained to me that these were done to ensure that the main transaction would work when it was submitted, this normaly happens when either a new payment has been setup or payment details have been amended. 

Whether this is happening in your case I've no idea as the incidents, which are few and far between, have only been for pennies. Never been out of pocket with them.

Be interested to know if this applies in you case.

I can't see how it can. There's no reason whatsoever for them to take any money this or next month. And the amounts are daft - it must cost them more in admin than they're taking.

• Greenie 1