Shroppie Canal help, and handy hints required.

jumps

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, Tony1 said:

Ellesmere Port is a teeny bit drab if I'm honest, but the museum basin is a nice peaceful place to moor for a couple of days- although its now £10 per night and you book online via the CRT website. 

Drab is a nice word for it.😂

Surely you still get a free night if paying to get into the museum?

There are VM moorings just before the museum and a few more back through the bridge as an alternative.

On 06/08/2022 at 21:54, Paul C said:

There is also Chester Zoo (expensive though),

I thought so when I booked tickets, but it was a full day out. Arrived as they opened and only left when they kicked every one out. My favourite was the bat cave, with bats flitting round our heads, but that would be a nightmare for some folk! A short walk from the canal.

A longer walk from the canal and up hill is Beeston Castle. Fantastic views on a good day.

On 06/08/2022 at 21:46, system 4-50 said:

Get an icecream or two from Snugbury's - but be careful not to get killed crossing the road.

And visit the Secret Bunker - but check that they are really open before you go.  The do not honour their published opening hours.

1 hour ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

I thought so when I booked tickets, but it was a full day out. Arrived as they opened and only left when they kicked every one out. 

Us too. We were somewhat surprised that it closed at 5pm in the height of summer though, and found ourselves wishing we'd not spent time in their restaurant which might have allowed us to see everything we wanted to. I'd prefer a zoo visit to be a relaxed wander, but Chester needs a bit more effort if you're to leave without feeling you've been despatched early... in my opinion. 

2 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Us too. We were somewhat surprised that it closed at 5pm in the height of summer though, and found ourselves wishing we'd not spent time in their restaurant which might have allowed us to see everything we wanted to. I'd prefer a zoo visit to be a relaxed wander, but Chester needs a bit more effort if you're to leave without feeling you've been despatched early... in my opinion. 

5pm closing is because they have to get all those animals bedded down for the night I reckon. There must be a lot of cleaning and mucking out that the visitors don't see.

9 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

5pm closing is because they have to get all those animals bedded down for the night I reckon. There must be a lot of cleaning and mucking out that the visitors don't see.

5pm is when they let all the animals out of their cages for a run about. 😀

• Haha 1

On 06/08/2022 at 21:46, system 4-50 said:

And visit the Secret Bunker - but check that they are really open before you go.  The do not honour their published opening hours.

That's because the real opening times are a secret. That there are signs in the area giving directions to the bunker is a gross breach of security. 😀

7 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Bristol zoo is the same, worse really as the butterfly house shuts at 4.15 and other areas shut early too. Can be 11.30- 2.30 though. 

Last chance to visit Bristol zoo, BTW, the site shuts for good on Sept 2nd, animals moving to a country park nearby, 201 houses to replace the animal houses in Clifton. 

2 hours ago, Stroudwater1 said:

Bristol zoo is the same, worse really as the butterfly house shuts at 4.15 and other areas shut early too. Can be 11.30- 2.30 though. 

Last chance to visit Bristol zoo, BTW, the site shuts for good on Sept 2nd, animals moving to a country park nearby, 201 houses to replace the animal houses in Clifton. 

That's usually the way with urban regeneration and gentrification. The original inhabitants get priced out. Can't afford the new houses and get shunted out of the city they've lived in, some of them, all there lives. The scheme should have included some affordable animal pens, but the developers bribed the council planning committee. An all too common tale. Rich Cliftonites are speciesist scum, who don't want to live next to a troop of howler monkeys and think it would affect their house prices.

• Greenie 2

The only time I have had to run an engine at full speed for any length of time was on the long straight  North-South embankment of the Shroppie when a strong cross-wind was blowing from the direction of Wales .  Absence of canal-side trees or bushes to provide shelter meant gunning the engine with the tiller held over to proceed along the canal at an angle of around 30° to the direction of travel to prevent beng blown against the tow path.

14 hours ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Rich Cliftonites are speciesist scum, who don't want to live next to a troop of howler monkeys and think it would affect their house prices.

And the Zoo has been ruining the Clifton house prices since 1836, so sellers are in for one heck of windfall! Where are the howler monkeys going though: that's what I want to know! Not In My Back Yard, thank you very much!  :o

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

And the Zoo has been ruining the Clifton house prices since 1836, so sellers are in for one heck of windfall! Where are the howler monkeys going though: that's what I want to know! Not In My Back Yard, thank you very much!  :o

It turns out Bristol Zoo actually does have howler monkeys. @Sea Dog's concerns are real. Where are they going? To quote the web site, "This monkeys howl can be heard up to 5km away".

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies

10 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

AIUI all the animals are transferring to the Wild Place, https://wildplace.org.uk/

Owned by Bristol Zoo, so actually they're moving just a few miles to the west as opposed to being evicted. Much better access being opposite Cribbs Causeway on the M5, which will be good if the elephants want to go to John Lewis or TGI Friday's, to pop for a day at the seaside or, like me, to travel to their narrowboat moored on the Shroppie... bringing us nicely back on topic! :)

• Greenie 1

There are fine visitor moorings in Christleton, I visited last summer. There's also a pub, it looks okay, I didn't visit,  kitchen smelled of  not pleasant deep fat frying oil. There's another pub in the village which is quite nice apparently.