Alternative route to Wigan

Richardcn

Featured Posts

Hi again all.

We're currently plodding our way towards Wigan at a rate of about 5ish hrs every 3/4 days in our 62ft 4in NB. We've just stopped short of Braunston for a couple of days to fix the water pump before proceeding on said journey. However, the route originally prescribed by Canalplan when we set of in June took us north up the Oxford, Coventry, T&M etc. There was me actually looking forward Harecastle when the closures dropped. The thing is I'd carefully planned all our Pets At Home stops to get the cat (prescription ordered in) & dog food and now Canalplan suggests SW on the Oxford at Braunston toward the alternative route north, the Shroppie. Can anybody suggest the best (or a good) route to the Shroppie heading north at Braunston please or is west best?

Richard

There is water aplenty in the Shroppie, not a lot in the Coventry.  Nothing in the T&M or Harecastle tunnel.

You could go wild and go through Birmingham to get to the Staffs& Worcs and the Shroppie but its an awful lot of locks.

21 minutes ago, Alway Swilby said:

Head north as you were going to. At Great Heywood turn left onto the Staffs & Worcester for a bit then right onto the Shroppie and there you are.

Isn't Atherstone locks currently shut...?

Just seen the CRT update and they shut from the 12th August.

Edited by Rob-M
Update details

Time wise I don’t think there’s that much difference between going around Brum (the BCN) or crossing Brum to get from Fazeley Jn to Autherley Jn. 

The choice would be whether you want to see a bit of Brum or want to stick to country. 

It’s possible going around has the edge and is a tad quicker. 

Edited by Goliath

21 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

I think its "just" restricted opening from 6.30 am to 15.30 PM with locking them at 17.00 Rob? Hillmorton are similar but a shade longer 6.30 am to 16.00 PM closure at 17.00 

Edited by Stroudwater1

Last week we did Braunston to Brum via the GU and North Stratford in 3 days and then we would normally do Brum to Autherley junction in a day but this time split it in to two days with an overnight in Tipton.  Great Haywood to Braunston we did slowly over 5 days.

2 minutes ago, Stroudwater1 said:

I think its "just" restricted opening from 6.30 am to 15.30 PM with locking them at 17.00 Rob? Hillmorton are similar but a shade longer 6.30 am to 16.00 PM closure at 17.00 

The water resources email from CRT that I've just received shows Coventry Canal as...

Coventry Canal – closed from Locks 1 – 5 from 12 August

5 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

Last week we did Braunston to Brum via the GU and North Stratford in 3 days and then we would normally do Brum to Autherley junction in a day but this time split it in to two days with an overnight in Tipton.  Great Haywood to Braunston we did slowly over 5 days.

The water resources email from CRT that I've just received shows Coventry Canal as...

Coventry Canal – closed from Locks 1 – 5 from 12 August

Yes its very confusing, which is why I checked as we are near Atherstone the stoppage notices on the CRT site for the two appear to show the restricted openings?  

• Greenie 1

25 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

It is restricted hours at Atherstone not closure, I pointed the error in the email out to CRT on Twitter.

If you want to take your time and don't mind the additional lock count, when go through Birmingham, although the North Stratford lock 17 is currently closed it should be open by the time you get there, and there is still the option to go GU into Birmingham from Kingswood.  Then join the Shroppie at Autherley Junction.  Alternatively go North Oxford, Coventry and T&M to Gt. Heywood then S&W to Autherley Junction.

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, Rob-M said:

I would normally split my journey at Tipton. 
on my own it’s too much to do it in one, especially with all the weed, it recently took 4-5 hours to get from the top of the flight to Tipton. 

And I always forget how long it takes along that main line. 
With a nice little bow wave going and keeping a good pace it still takes its time. 

8 minutes ago, Stroudwater1 said:

Yes its very confusing, which is why I checked as we are near Atherstone the stoppage notices on the CRT site for the two appear to show the restricted openings?  

6 minutes ago, john6767 said:

It is restricted hours at Atherstone not closure, I pointed the error in the email out to CRT on Twitter.

If you want to take your time and don't mind the additional lock count, when go through Birmingham, although the North Stratford lock 17 is currently closed it should be open by the time you get there, and there is still the option to go GU into Birmingham from Kingswood.  Then join the Shroppie at Autherley Junction.  Alternatively go North Oxford, Coventry and T&M to Gt. Heywood then S&W to Autherley Junction.

I made the mistake of assuming the email was the latest accurate information.

We aren't going out for a few weeks so hoping things will be opening up again by then.

Thanks, this is excellent information all round. I always check for stoppages the day before we travel but I'll be extra careful to ensure the route is clear (as far as published info states anyway) next move. If we can get to Gt Haywood to keep our options open then that would be handy indeed.

Many Thanks

Richard

What are you planning once you get to Wigan? 

Excerpt from mail today from crt:

The following canals are temporarily closing to navigation, or have restricted operating times until water levels recover:

• Ashton Canal– open but at risk of closure in near future
  • Caldon Canal – Hazelhurst Flight currently closed, whole canal to close from 8 August
  • Chesterfield Canal – to be closed from 12 August from Lock 41A to Norwood Tunnel East Portal
  • Coventry Canal – closed from Locks 1 – 5 from 12 August
  • Grand Union Canal, Leicester Line – restrictions at Watford and Foxton from 8 August
  • Huddersfield Narrow Canal – closed
  • Leeds & Liverpool Canal – closed from Locks 30 to 85
  • Leeds & Liverpool Canal, Leigh Branch – restrictions in place for booked passage two days a week
  • North Oxford Canal – restrictions at Hillmorton from 12 August
  • Peak Forest & Macclesfield Canals – Marple and Bosley lock flights closed
  • Rochdale Canal – closed from Locks 1 - 45 (pre booked passages to be honoured)
  • South Oxford – restrictions at Claydon from 8 August and Napton/Marston Doles from 15 August
  • Trent & Mersey Canal – currently closed from Locks 41 – 71. Restrictions in place across summit and Stoke Flight until 7 August. Closed from Locks 29 to 40 from 8 August, with summit and Harecastle Tunnel remaining open

9 minutes ago, Ianws said:

What are you planning once you get to Wigan? 

Excerpt from mail today from crt:

The following canals are temporarily closing to navigation, or have restricted operating times until water levels recover:

• Ashton Canal– open but at risk of closure in near future
  • Caldon Canal – Hazelhurst Flight currently closed, whole canal to close from 8 August
  • Chesterfield Canal – to be closed from 12 August from Lock 41A to Norwood Tunnel East Portal
  • Coventry Canal – closed from Locks 1 – 5 from 12 August
  • Grand Union Canal, Leicester Line – restrictions at Watford and Foxton from 8 August
  • Huddersfield Narrow Canal – closed
  • Leeds & Liverpool Canal – closed from Locks 30 to 85
  • Leeds & Liverpool Canal, Leigh Branch – restrictions in place for booked passage two days a week
  • North Oxford Canal – restrictions at Hillmorton from 12 August
  • Peak Forest & Macclesfield Canals – Marple and Bosley lock flights closed
  • Rochdale Canal – closed from Locks 1 - 45 (pre booked passages to be honoured)
  • South Oxford – restrictions at Claydon from 8 August and Napton/Marston Doles from 15 August
  • Trent & Mersey Canal – currently closed from Locks 41 – 71. Restrictions in place across summit and Stoke Flight until 7 August. Closed from Locks 29 to 40 from 8 August, with summit and Harecastle Tunnel remaining open

Well the plan is to visit (whenever we can) and spend Xmas with my step-daughter before heading south in the New Year during the winter stoppages! A glutten for punishment I hear you say :)Anything between arriving at Wigan and Xmas is just floating about on the western L&L really. Hopefully things will be better by then as we're in no rush.

Edited by Richardcn

17 hours ago, Richardcn said:

Well the plan is to visit (whenever we can) and spend Xmas with my step-daughter before heading south in the New Year during the winter stoppages! A glutten for punishment I hear you say :)Anything between arriving at Wigan and Xmas is just floating about on the western L&L really. Hopefully things will be better by then as we're in no rush.

On 05/08/2022 at 17:50, Tracy D'arth said:

There is water aplenty in the Shroppie, not a lot in the Coventry.  Nothing in the T&M or Harecastle tunnel.

You could go wild and go through Birmingham to get to the Staffs& Worcs and the Shroppie but its an awful lot of locks.

Plenty of water on the Coventry below Atherstone through to Fradley. It is the bit between Coventry and Atherstone that is a bit low, but currently passable even with fairly deep draughts boats.