Best small stove

Arthur Marshall

Featured Posts

Just now, MtB said:

Or for economy the Boatman by Northern Fabrications.

Mine was £350 IIRC but that was about ten years ago. I I was not overly impressed with it but I hold it is still excellent value being so cheap. I rote a detailed review of it...

I remember reading your review. 

Ear, did we just get called peasants?

1 minute ago, rusty69 said:

I remember reading your review. 

Ear, did we just get called peasants?

No I think that was pedants. Much the same thing really though, unless you ARE one. 

Might of bin a typo...

• Happy 1

3 minutes ago, Balloon said:

I was calling you a pedant for falling out over smokless/smokeless 😜

Its me N rusty joshing.... we have form for it :D

(Did you hear that Rusty? She WAS calling you a pedant!) 

Link here to the Northern Fabrications "Boatman Stove" for anyone interested. Now £400 for the basic stove so still cheap as chips, plus, plus, plus

http://boatmanstove.co.uk/

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, MtB said:

Its me N rusty joshing.... we have form for it :D

(Did you hear that Rusty? She WAS calling you a pedant!) 

Link here to the Northern Fabrications "Boatman Stove" for anyone interested. Now £400 for the basic stove so still cheap as chips, plus, plus, plus

http://boatmanstove.co.uk/

I definitely saw the word pedants (plural), so yes, I did. Probably pretty accurate though, to be fair.

6 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Chilli penguin is also another stove manufacturer that has been mentioned on here before. See chilli Billie. Not cheap as a boatman though. Erm, I mean not as inexpensive.

I quite fancied one of them with the bread oven in the top for the hovel. But I went for dead conventional in the end as the wooden beam over the fireplace was too low. Getting a Stovax Stockton instead which seems to get good reviews. Or Stovax do anyway. 

11 minutes ago, MtB said:

I quite fancied one of them with the bread oven in the top for the hovel. But I went for dead conventional in the end as the wooden beam over the fireplace was too low. Getting a Stovax Stockton instead which seems to get good reviews. Or Stovax do anyway. 

The bread oven ones look pretty good to be fair. I suppose any small stove is a bit of a trade off though, but if you only have a small boat, its better to have a small stove and run it hard than have a big stove and keep it on low.

I am dreading the day our trusty squirrels pack up. I'm sure I read somewhere that they were to be discontinued, though I can't now seem to find the source.

Edited by rusty69

18 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

The bread oven ones look pretty good to be fair. I suppose any small stove is a bit of a trade off though, but if you only have a small boat, its better to have a small stove and run it hard than have a big stove and keep it on low.

I am dreading the day our trusty squirrels pack up. I'm sure I read somewhere that they were to be discontinued, though I can't now seem to find the source.

Midland Chandeliers claimed to have seven in stock a few weeks ago when I was considering one for the hovel.

https://www.midlandchandlers.co.uk/products/morso-defra-squirrel-1412-stove-hs-030

Today the page says nine! 

How about a Lockgate Refleks (Diesel) then?

4 minutes ago, MtB said:

Midland Chandeliers claimed to have seven in stock a few weeks ago when I was considering one for the hovel.

https://www.midlandchandlers.co.uk/products/morso-defra-squirrel-1412-stove-hs-030

Today the page says nine! 

Maybe I should buy one and keep it in storage just in case.

Edited by rusty69

21 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

but if you only have a small boat, its better to have a small stove and run it hard than have a big stove and keep it on low.

I'm inclined to disagree. I loved my squirrel because I could bank it up, set it to low and it would stay in with no further attention for 48 hours easy, which was great if I was working long hours and home late. The Boatman Stove I replaced it with would barely stay alight for 12 hours without being attended to. 

1 minute ago, rusty69 said:

How about a Lockgate Refleks (Diesel) then?

Maybe I should buy one and keep it in storage just in case.

It would be good insurance. I can only imagine pressure building to discontinue all solid fuel stoves what with global warming etc

You would be entitled to feel insufferably smug if that happened and you had brand new one tucked away in a shed!! 

7 minutes ago, MtB said:

I'm inclined to disagree. I loved my squirrel because I could bank it up, set it to low and it would stay in with no further attention for 48 hours easy, which was great if I was working long hours and home late. The Boatman Stove I replaced it with would barely stay alight for 12 hours without being attended to. 

It would be good insurance. I can only imagine pressure building to discontinue all solid fuel stoves what with global warming etc

You would be entitled to feel insufferably smug if that happened and you had brand new one tucked away in a shed!! 

Well, I suppose it was rather a silly comment, as you (Arthur) are unlikely to have room anyway without altering the existing layout. But, yes, I would agree the squirrel is great at staying in given the right fuel and the right settings. 

I think I would feel smug about having a spare squirrel , erm squirrelled away right up until the point where we are told multifuel stoves have been banned.

We actually have two squirrels on our boat, but very rarely are both going at the same time.

Off on a tangent...

We have a multifuel set up as a woodburner at home (Charnwood something I think), 4kW. This provides secondary space heating in the living room as required (usually evenings) and doubtless saves a great deal of gas being wasted to heat the parts of the house we're not using. The ash only needs emptying about twice per month.

On the boat we have a Morso squirrel which burns smokeless. Stays lit as long as we need and the ashpan can be emptied while it's in use which is a good thing since it needs emptying daily.

Two totally different use cases with two different solutions.

On 05/08/2022 at 19:42, MtB said:

Or for economy the Boatman by Northern Fabrications.

Mine was £350 IIRC but that was about ten years ago. I I was not overly impressed with it but I hold it is still excellent value being so cheap. I rote a detailed review of it...

I agree Mike Jayne has one in the living room works extremely well, I painted it the other year looks like new. It's well over ten years old and going strong

6 minutes ago, peterboat said:

I agree Mike Jayne has one in the living room works extremely well, I painted it the other year looks like new. It's well over ten years old and going strong

The moat annoying thing I found with mine was the way the door handle rusted solid over summer and needed careful coaxing and working back and forth the get the door open come September and I wanted to light it again.

Also the handle gets burning hot when the stove was light so I kept an offcut of copper tube by the stove to slide over it, after burning my hand several times. 

And the spinner over the air port at the bottom unscrews itself off the (seized) bolt if you spin it right open, and runs across the floor....

All trivial complaints at the price, and the Squirrel at twice the price has none of these faults!

31 minutes ago, MtB said:

The moat annoying thing I found with mine was the way the door handle rusted solid over summer and needed careful coaxing and working back and forth the get the door open come September and I wanted to light it again.

Also the handle gets burning hot when the stove was light so I kept an offcut of copper tube by the stove to slide over it, after burning my hand several times. 

And the spinner over the air port at the bottom unscrews itself off the (seized) bolt if you spin it right open, and runs across the floor....

All trivial complaints at the price, and the Squirrel at twice the price has none of these faults!

Oil

16 minutes ago, koukouvagia said:

Years ago we had an Arctic stove in our first boat - a Springer.  These are no longer made, but they sometimes turn up online.  They are ideal for a small boat.

413334312_Arcticstove.jpg.c08f370aa6769f0d34ceb7f5f1c38752.jpg

My parents had one of those on their boat, got so hot one day it set the boat lining on fire.  Fortunately the fire brigade arrived quickly and managed to extinguish the fire before too much damage was caused.  Did end up with white powder everywhere though.

2 hours ago, MtB said:

(snip)

We have had that happen with the Squirrel. Both top and bottom spinners. IIRC, the top one was a bit of a B to fix, as it needed a bit taken off the back of the door to get at the bolt head.

The Squirrel stoves now available from Midland Chandlers are slightly different.  There is only one door and the hinges are on the other side.  Inside looks the same as before and the footprint does not appear to have changed.