Best small stove

Arthur Marshall

Featured Posts

My old Villager Puffin is, I suspect, becoming a danger to health. Any recommendations for an equivalent? I'm not sure they make Puffins any more.

The smaller the better - it's not a large cabin. No boiler required. Even the Puffin gets the boat too hot for comfort unless it's snowing.

8 minutes ago, Arthur Marshall said:

My old Villager Puffin is, I suspect, becoming a danger to health. Any recommendations for an equivalent? I'm not sure they make Puffins any more.

The smaller the better - it's not a large cabin. No boiler required. Even the Puffin gets the boat too hot for comfort unless it's snowing.

We had this (3kw Pipsqueak) - managed to get a 30 foot boat up to 54 degrees but then we gave up on the test and opened all the doors and windows.

The tiles in the photo are 6" square (it is not a large stove - more of a 'twig burner' than a 'log burner'.)

Home of the Pipsqueak Stove – Pipsqueak Stoves (pipsqueak-stove.com)

IMG_20130912_123236.jpg

Edited by Alan de Enfield

2 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Apparently readily available,  Doris .....................

Pipsqueak Small Cast Iron Stove – Pipsqueak Stoves (pipsqueak-stove.com)

I stand corrected. 

I tried to buy one about three years ago and was told it was out of production. I note the copyright date on your link is 2022 so presumably they are back again. 

• Greenie 1

How about a Faversham or Davey hotpot. No experience of either, but they look nice.

I've always fancied one of these too, but last time I asked, they had no UK stockist.

http://www.marinestove.com/sardineinfo.htm

Or a boatman

Or a windy smithy.

Ok, I'll shut up now.

Edited by rusty69

2 hours ago, rusty69 said:

I've always fancied one of these too, but last time I asked, they had no UK stockist.

http://www.marinestove.com/sardineinfo.htm

The Sardine look great but have you seen the price? Last time I looked it was something insane like £3k.

The Boatman is cheap and cheerful Good value but has several shortcomings compared to the more expensive Squirrel.

28 minutes ago, MtB said:

The Sardine look great but have you seen the price? Last time I looked it was something insane like £3k.

The Boatman is cheap and cheerful Good value but has several shortcomings compared to the more expensive Squirrel.

3k. Wow, that's a lot.

16 minutes ago, Balloon said:

I have an Ekol apple pie which I think is absolutely excellent and would recommend! 
https://www.stovesareus.co.uk/ekol-apple-pie-ecodesign-wood-burning-stove.html

happy to answer any questions 

I like your apple pie. Looks cute, and has a decent output.

8 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

I like your apple pie. Looks cute, and has a decent output.

That’s what I like about it. Plus the huuuuuggee glass in this stove is great; you get a very restricted view of the flames in some other small stoves. It’s better than a tv when it’s lit. 

BE9E8532-7287-4C7F-B7B7-13776C3F068D.png

E4E03123-CF55-4058-A90E-A8683ED22028.png

• Happy 1

1 minute ago, Balloon said:

That’s what I like about it. Plus the huuuuuggee glass in this stove is great; you get a very restricted view of the flames in some other small stoves. It’s better than a tv when it’s lit. 

And does the glass stay clean ? We have an Ekol Clarity and the glass in that stays very clean

3 minutes ago, Balloon said:

The question is though, can it stay in for 24 hours a day, wheres the ash pan, and how controllable is it?

3 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

The question is though, can it stay in for 24 hours a day, wheres the ash pan, and how controllable is it?

That's what I like with the Hobbit, ash pan removable whilst the stove is lit and can be closed down to stay in but easy to get roaring again.

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

Here’s the ash pan and the control knob. I don’t keep mine in as I work long hours but it stays in overnight with two night briquettes so I’m assuming it’d stoke up ok again in the morning (I’m always straight off to work) 

245FB269-A74F-4443-A6BF-124B56FB9993.jpeg

B7874CC3-B42A-4D68-96A4-7D84D0CBB719.jpeg

1C6B63F9-96BA-4A67-AE72-2AB964D40CCF.jpeg

It wasn’t till I took this I realised how grubby it is under my stove

BB2AAF13-FBB3-4A2D-8E91-5BBBDCADBBFD.jpeg

2 minutes ago, MtB said:

Point of Order. It's better than most telly when not lit, too 

:D

I only set light our telly once. Don't tell Mrs R.

6 minutes ago, Balloon said:

Here’s the ash pan and the control knob. I don’t keep mine in as I work long hours but it stays in overnight with two night briquettes so I’m assuming it’d stoke up ok again in the morning (I’m always straight off to work) 

245FB269-A74F-4443-A6BF-124B56FB9993.jpeg

B7874CC3-B42A-4D68-96A4-7D84D0CBB719.jpeg

1C6B63F9-96BA-4A67-AE72-2AB964D40CCF.jpeg

It wasn’t till I took this I realised how grubby it is under my stove

BB2AAF13-FBB3-4A2D-8E91-5BBBDCADBBFD.jpeg

Looks like quite a small ashpan. Is it just a woodburner though, or  can you burn smokless on it?

6 minutes ago, rusty69 said:

Looks like quite a small ashpan. Is it just a woodburner though, or  can you burn smokless on it?

I'd say without anything appearing to be a riddle you could but those slots underneath would clog up with ash after a day or so, meaning you'd need to let it go out and clean the grate out annoyingly reguarly. Just a guess though, B'loon will no doubt tell us if it works with your smokless*

* Assuming its a bit like smokeless... 

1 minute ago, MtB said:

I'd say without anything appearing to be a riddle you could but those slots underneath would clog up with ash after a day or so, meaning you'd need to let it go out and clean the grate out annoyingly reguarly. Just a guess though, B'loon will no doubt tell us if it works with your smokless*

Hey, I wasn't offering my smokless. Its in a hidden bunker you know.

So apples are out, sardines are too expensive. Looks like Bilbo baggins is the way to go, though I still like the look of the Faversham. 

5 minutes ago, MtB said:

Just a guess though, B'loon will no doubt tell us if it works with your smokless*

Pedants…🤷‍♀️

anyway. I only burn wood because I find coal gets too hot, the wood is plenty hot enough with that stove as it’s so efficient. But there’s no riddle so I imagine it would be difficult to keep in with coal. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, rusty69 said:

Hey, I wasn't offering my smokless. Its in a hidden bunker you know.

So apples are out, sardines are too expensive. Looks like Bilbo baggins is the way to go, though I still like the look of the Faversham. 

Or for economy the Boatman by Northern Fabrications.

Mine was £350 IIRC but that was about ten years ago. I I was not overly impressed with it but I hold it is still excellent value being so cheap. I rote a detailed review of it...

• Greenie 1