Lister TS3 Crank Handle Clockwise or Anti Clockwise

Joseph Davidson

Featured Posts

Hi all 

I have an old dumper truck with a Lister TS3 engine. 
firstly I’m trying to find a crank handle for it? Before I can find one I need to know if it clock wise or anti clockwise turning? 
see number on engine is 

350 525TS3A07

there was another number stamped on the engine elsewhere

S

203 3100T

any info appreciated and apologies in advance for not being a boater and for being mechanically thick 😬

cheers

Joe 

To find out what sort of handle you need, and which way is anticlockwise according to RA Lister &  Co:

Put the dumper on level ground  in top  gear. Mark the  shaft the handle fits on,  and the engine to correspond.  Put the decompressors down.

Release the brake and push the dumper forward about 5- 10ft.  Put the brake on.

Look to see which way the marked dog  has moved.  That way is Lister's definition of an anti clockwise engine.  Buy a starting handle to suit turning the engine that way.

The crank handle often fits an extension of the camshaft, which is  gear driven, so you may find the handle is turning clockwise but the engine crankshaft is turning anti clockwise.

N

Most Lister crankhandles have a simple spring loaded pin mechanism ,and the pin is reversible by simply lifting and 180deg rotating,or alternatively removing the split cotter ,and replacing........used to be a standard practical joke to reverse the pin in Lister cranks ,because the motor will start in reverse ,and generally set the air cleaner element on fire........Ive owned trucks that would start the engine backwards........bit perplexing the first time it happens.

5 hours ago, john.k said:

Most Lister crankhandles have a simple spring loaded pin mechanism ,and the pin is reversible by simply lifting and 180deg rotating,or alternatively removing the split cotter ,and replacing.

Not sure that is the case for the TS engines. I think the shaft in the engine just has a pin through it, and the appropriately handed starter dog is on the handle.

Genuine%20Lister%20LV,%20TS%20&%20TR%20A

https://www.stationaryengineparts.com/genuine-lister-lv-ts-tr-anti-clockwise-starting-handle-p-n.html

21 hours ago, David Mack said:

Not sure that is the case for the TS engines. I think the shaft in the engine just has a pin through it, and the appropriately handed starter dog is on the handle.

Genuine%20Lister%20LV,%20TS%20&%20TR%20A

https://www.stationaryengineparts.com/genuine-lister-lv-ts-tr-anti-clockwise-starting-handle-p-n.html

That is correct. The handle shown is the correct one for the engine. As it operates on the camshaft, turning the handle anti clockwise will also turn the engine anti clockwise. When Lister give an engine rotation it is always as looking at flywheel from behind. Also the engine must be anticlockwise as To my knowledge the T range were never built as a clockwise rotation.