Man jailed after going on canal boat ride without permission

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

Man, 23, jailed after going on canal boat ride without owner's permission (Photo: GETTY)

Man jailed after going on canal boat ride without permission | Wiltshire Times

A man has been jailed after taking a boat and driving away without the permission of the owner.

Kyron Michael Denmark, of Hill Street in Hilperton, was charged with aggravated vehicle taking - ( initial taker ) vehicle and property damage under £5000, after taking a narrowboat without the owner's permission.

After having unlawfully taken the boat, Denmark drove it around and caused damage as he hit another canal boat.

The incident took place at Hilperton Marina in Trowbridge between October 7 and October 16, 2020.

I believe piracy has to take place on the “high seas.”   A youth who upended a minor off the beach, and took his canoe for a joyride, was charged with piracy.  There is also the question of which Court it should be tried in, as it comes under Maritime Law.

• Greenie 1

46 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

A quick look at a map suggests that Hilperton Marina is roughly 40m above sea level. That's much higher than the high seas, so just makes the piracy worse. 😀

I was wondering about a different aspect. I've heard of the "high seas", but I've never heard of any seas classed as "low seas". 

What is a high sea anyway? What makes a sea "high"?

It sounds like a legal term actually. Why wasn't he charged with "piracy on the high canals"? So many questions! 

• Greenie 3

1 hour ago, MtB said:

I was wondering about a different aspect. I've heard of the "high seas", but I've never heard of any seas classed as "low seas". 

It sounds like a legal term actually. Why wasn't he charged with "piracy on the high canals"? So many questions! 

I think your spelling may not be correct ; 

We have a Middle C so it is quite reasonable to have High C's and Low C's is it not ?

(FYI - Middle C is the fourth C key from left on a standard 88-key piano keyboard)

And thanks to google

In vocal music, the term High C (sometimes less ambiguously called Top C) can refer to either the soprano's C6 (1046.502 Hz; c′′′ in Helmholtz notation) or the tenor's C5; both are written as the C two ledger lines above the treble clef but the tenor voice sings an octave lower. The term Low C is sometimes used in vocal music to refer to C2 because this is considered the divide between true basses and bass-baritones: a basso can sing this note easily, whereas other male voices, including bass-baritones, typically cannot.

28 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

We have a Middle C so it is quite reasonable to have High C's and Low C's is it not ?

(FYI - Middle C is the fourth C key from left on a standard 88-key piano keyboard)

And thanks to google

In vocal music, the term High C (sometimes less ambiguously called Top C) can refer to either the soprano's C6 (1046.502 Hz; c′′′ in Helmholtz notation) or the tenor's C5; both are written as the C two ledger lines above the treble clef but the tenor voice sings an octave lower. The term Low C is sometimes used in vocal music to refer to C2 because this is considered the divide between true basses and bass-baritones: a basso can sing this note easily, whereas other male voices, including bass-baritones, typically cannot.

Surely not. Is it not near the lid lock?

2 hours ago, MtB said:

The Caspian Sea could be considered a low sea. About 70'+ below sea level, and forecast to get lower and shrink. Inland lake or fully fledged low sea has big consequences re international waters.

eta: I think Noah found out what the high seas were, but that's nowt to do with international treaties and conventions on oil extraction, fishing rights, naval movements, drugs/human smuggling, piracy etc. My boating's never going to take me into international waters so not something I need worry about.

Edited by BilgePump

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

an 88 key piano also has a number of intermediate C's....

I've also known it as middle C because it's between the treble and base clefs in terms of notation

For "High Seas" - perhaps it's how high you off off the bottom? In which case, Hilperton Marina and indeed the whole of the K&A really doesn't count! 

3 hours ago, MtB said:

High seas are usually defined as the Open Ocean, and usually outside territorial waters. I've never come across the use of Low Seas and  certainly by that definition the canals do not count.

Howard

Edited by howardang

7 minutes ago, howardang said:

High seas are usually defined as the Open Ocean, and usually outside territorial waters. I've never come across the use of Low Seas and  certainly by that definition the canals do not count.

Howard

Which leads us into one of those discussions about words that have no opposite or obverse. You can have ruthless pirates on the high seas but not pirates with ruth on the low seas.... 

On 04/08/2022 at 19:26, Tim Lewis said:

Was surprised to read that he lost his driving license as part of his punishment!

I suspect the reporter may have misreported this aspect. He can’t be disqualified from driving for something he did on a boat. No road traffic legislation would apply. My guess would be that the dimwit was being dealt with for separate road traffic act matters during the same hearing. Nice to see that he got a custodial sentence, all be it a short one. He must have already had a significant offending history for the Magistrates to hand down a custodial for an offence against property.

On 05/08/2022 at 10:09, BilgePump said:

The Caspian Sea could be considered a low sea. About 70'+ below sea level, and forecast to get lower and shrink. Inland lake or fully fledged low sea has big consequences re international waters.

I see your Caspian Sea and raise lower you the Dead Sea, at -1412' from mean sea level.

32 minutes ago, MichaelG said:

He can’t be disqualified from driving for something he did on a boat.

As it was a narrowboat, not a DUKW, or Amphicar, so definitely not.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, MichaelG said:

I suspect the reporter may have misreported this aspect. He can’t be disqualified from driving for something he did on a boat. No road traffic legislation would apply. My guess would be that the dimwit was being dealt with for separate road traffic act matters during the same hearing. Nice to see that he got a custodial sentence, all be it a short one. He must have already had a significant offending history for the Magistrates to hand down a custodial for an offence against property.

Disqualification  is discretional for an offence against Section 12 of the Theft Act 1968

Section 12 refers to "any conveyance", which would include a boat. 

MichaelG's suggestion is more likely, though :)

Edited by Iain_S

25 minutes ago, David Mack said:

I read once of a cyclist who was banned from driving, even though he didn't have a driving licence.

Its also quite common to read of under-aged offenders being banned from driving even though they are too young to get a license. 

The ban usually commences when they reach 17 IIRC.

2 hours ago, MtB said:

Its also quite common to read of under-aged offenders being banned from driving even though they are too young to get a license. 

At one time, those too young to hold a licence were described as disqualified through age.