Owatrol - Paint Restorer

Featured Posts

So my boat that I sprayed 10 years ago really needed a respray, however I had neither time nor inclination to do it! I have polisher her regular and T cutted it, but this year I bought Owatrol gel coat renovator, painted it on polished it in and it looks great! very easy to do not fading at all for me its a total success. The chap that sold it me said it should last a year before needing to be done again if thats right, its a total winwin for me :)

14 hours ago, Sea Dog said:

Interesting. How long has it been so far and which one was it?

13 hours ago, Fender151 said:

Hi, Can you tell me which Owatrol product you used please.

Thanks

The gelcoat restorer it's what the rep recommends .its been a couple of months so 8 weekly washesdone, it still looks the same as first applied

1 hour ago, peterboat said:

The gelcoat restorer it's what the rep recommends .its been a couple of months so 8 weekly washesdone, it still looks the same as first applied

A bit counter intuitive that it's the gel coat one, so thanks for confirming that.

I believe I've read it might tint cream or white paintwork. Is that something you can comment on?

25 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

A bit counter intuitive that it's the gel coat one, so thanks for confirming that.

I believe I've read it might tint cream or white paintwork. Is that something you can comment on?

I have cream lines on my boat they look just the same, I honestly cant believe the difference in the paint, I would take a picture to show you but I dropped my phone off the wheelhouse roof yesterday and the screen is knackered, I still have the bow to do, so when Jayne brings my other fone I will wipe a section over to show you the difference

peterboat,

This topic has prompted me to think about using it. Could you confirm that you brushed it on as I read that it should be applied to metal surfaces using 000 wire wool. Not sure I'd want to go down that line. If you brushed it what is the true coverage rate? Blurb I've read suggests 18 sq metres per litre.

Thanks

Edited by Slim
typo

• 1 month later...
On 05/08/2022 at 11:12, peterboat said:

I have cream lines on my boat they look just the same, I honestly cant believe the difference in the paint, I would take a picture to show you but I dropped my phone off the wheelhouse roof yesterday and the screen is knackered, I still have the bow to do, so when Jayne brings my other fone I will wipe a section over to show you the difference

You need to tell Jayne to hurry up with that other phone...

;) 

• Greenie 1

Hey, that looks pretty good! So the cabin side has been done over 3 months? That beats the 6 weeks I've had before my polish and waxing efforts are no longer in evidence, and the cream hasn't discoloured either.

Thanks for the update (and congrats on the new phone)! :D

7 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Hey, that looks pretty good! So the cabin side has been done over 3 months? That beats the 6 weeks I've had before my polish and waxing efforts are no longer in evidence, and the cream hasn't discoloured either.

Thanks for the update (and congrats on the new phone)! :D

Samsung Galaxy A90 lovely phone which can do things I don't want it to do!

I think I did the owatrol in late June and its been hot and sunny since then!

On 04/08/2022 at 12:20, peterboat said:

So my boat that I sprayed 10 years ago really needed a respray, however I had neither time nor inclination to do it! I have polisher her regular and T cutted it, but this year I bought Owatrol gel coat renovator, painted it on polished it in and it looks great! very easy to do not fading at all for me its a total success. The chap that sold it me said it should last a year before needing to be done again if thats right, its a total winwin for me :)

What's the length of your cabin please, and how much Owatrol did you need to use on it?

Just now, monkeyhanger said:

What's the length of your cabin please, and how much Owatrol did you need to use on it?

It's a 57 x 12 with wheelhouse which has a painted steel bottom, its a 1 litre can, I have some left which will do one side.

I washed it painted it on with a wide brush then polished it in, the owatrol rep told me to do it that way.

• 10 months later...

Just resurrecting this thread as my paintwork is now pretty dull and it needs attention. I'm guessing a paste type polish is the ideal thing, but i'm not keen on having to repeat every 6 weeks or so!  Also its very difficult to confirm if most products contain silicon or not - I recall silicon being frowned upon by others as it could mess up future paint jobs?

As mentioned above, this: Gelcoat Restorer | Colour Restorer For Boat Gelcoats | Owatrol Direct seems to be a solution.. im wary about having to paint it on?  would it give a ripple effect possibly or am i too concerned... did anyone else use it after the raving review above???

thanks!!!

18 minutes ago, robtheplod said:

Just resurrecting this thread as my paintwork is now pretty dull and it needs attention. I'm guessing a paste type polish is the ideal thing, but i'm not keen on having to repeat every 6 weeks or so!  Also its very difficult to confirm if most products contain silicon or not - I recall silicon being frowned upon by others as it could mess up future paint jobs?

As mentioned above, this: Gelcoat Restorer | Colour Restorer For Boat Gelcoats | Owatrol Direct seems to be a solution.. im wary about having to paint it on?  would it give a ripple effect possibly or am i too concerned... did anyone else use it after the raving review above???

thanks!!!

Its really good honestly, easy to put on and polish in, it's far easier than trying to T cut the paint and do a normal polish which will last a few months at best! I just wash and paint it on every 6 months or so

5 minutes ago, peterboat said:

Its really good honestly, easy to put on and polish in, it's far easier than trying to T cut the paint and do a normal polish which will last a few months at best! I just wash and paint it on every 6 months or so

cross your heart and hope to die?  :)

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, JoeC said:

I was thinking of using Owatrol Polytrol rather than the Gel Coat restorer version on my narrowboat. The sun's UV has got to the red paint and it has faded.

Polytrol | Colour restorer for faded surfaces | Owatrol Direct

same story here.... is there much difference in these two products?

15 minutes ago, robtheplod said:

same story here.... is there much difference in these two products?

I have not asked a shop or dealer but as I don't have a gelcoat on my boat I was thinking Polytrol.

Our boat was looking very 'chalkie' when we bought it. We tried polishing by hand, an electric buffer and various paint restorers that were hard work and not particularly effective. Came across Polytrol and bought a trial size pot which, applied sparingly with a small paintbrush, was enough for one side of the boat (excl the gunnels). It looked great, really shiny and restored the colour so we bought some more. 

Four years later it is a bit patchy in places but still looks better than it did.

My concern was whether it would be a problem if you wanted to paint over it, but we had lots of areas more in need of painting than the sides so decided to go ahead. 

• Greenie 2

15 hours ago, robtheplod said:

I've just emailed them to see what they recommend.... I'll post it back here...

Reply as follows:

"These 2 products are essentially the same and will both restore fading. We recommend applying these products to a clean and dry surface then wiping any excess oil away after 20 minutes."

2 hours ago, Chris T said:

Our boat was looking very 'chalkie' when we bought it. We tried polishing by hand, an electric buffer and various paint restorers that were hard work and not particularly effective. Came across Polytrol and bought a trial size pot which, applied sparingly with a small paintbrush, was enough for one side of the boat (excl the gunnels). It looked great, really shiny and restored the colour so we bought some more. 

Four years later it is a bit patchy in places but still looks better than it did.

My concern was whether it would be a problem if you wanted to paint over it, but we had lots of areas more in need of painting than the sides so decided to go ahead. 

presume as and when you need to paint the sanding process would remove this so should be ok?

• Greenie 2