Thursday 4 Aug Harecastle closed.

Arthur Marshall

Featured Posts

11 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

I always wonder if they would hear a horn sound when they are in their hut.

They did when we had a fire in the middle of the tunnel but I dont know if they were in the hut or not. 

13 hours ago, Arthur Marshall said:

He obviously heard the squeezebox. I got told off years ago for playing the cornet for the same reason - you need two hands for the trombone - but the acoustics are irresistible....

It wasn't you on the other boat, was it? I seem to remember somebody younger... 😉

The acoustics are indeed tremendous if you can cope with a reverb time of several seconds -- combined with the boat spacing, we could only play slow tunes... 🙂

Edited by IanD

On 06/08/2022 at 21:17, IanD said:

When I played the squeezebox in Harecastle -- as a duet with the trumpet player on the boat behind us -- I got told off by the jobsworth at the exit in case the noise would have prevented any use of a horn as a distress signal.

It obviously escaped his attention that we were the last two boats, and perfectly capable of communicating with each other. 

Or maybe he just didn't like the Dambusters... 😉

They ignore ( can't hear distress signal). Front boat in a line of 5 broke down about 1/4 way through. All 5 boats were tooting away, nothing happened and poor bloke in stricken boat pulled through on side wall chains. Took an hour 45, fella was knackered

1 hour ago, Leemc said:

They ignore ( can't hear distress signal). Front boat in a line of 5 broke down about 1/4 way through. All 5 boats were tooting away, nothing happened and poor bloke in stricken boat pulled through on side wall chains. Took an hour 45, fella was knackered

Is it true that the tunnel keepers are not allowed to use the rescue boat?

10 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I understand that is the case. They send for a crew

Which comes from miles away.

On 07/08/2022 at 13:20, IanD said:

It wasn't you on the other boat, was it? I seem to remember somebody younger... 😉

The acoustics are indeed tremendous if you can cope with a reverb time of several seconds -- combined with the boat spacing, we could only play slow tunes... 🙂

No,  not me. I was all on me tod in the tunnel.

1 hour ago, Leemc said:

Could the boat behind not have pushed the broken down boat through the tunnel? That is what happened to us when we had a fire in the tunnel. 

13 minutes ago, haggis said:

Could the boat behind not have pushed the broken down boat through the tunnel? That is what happened to us when we had a fire in the tunnel. 

Might be involved in an insurance claim if they dent the rear fender

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, haggis said:

That was my idea, but we were the last boat. Not sure what conversations were had at the front.

11 hours ago, AndrewIC said:

Is it true that the tunnel keepers are not allowed to use the rescue boat?

This is so, they send for a crew.    BUT  the volunteers  park the rescue boat in the north end of the tunnel at night and the Volunteer Tunnel Staff fire it up and move it out in the morning. ( and leave the ignition turned on in error I discovered )

So they are allowed to move it but not use it. Crazy.

1 hour ago, Tracy D'arth said:

This is so, they send for a crew.    BUT  the volunteers  park the rescue boat in the north end of the tunnel at night and the Volunteer Tunnel Staff fire it up and move it out in the morning. ( and leave the ignition turned on in error I discovered )

So they are allowed to move it but not use it. Crazy.

I don't think they do any more. I've been there before opening time and the tug is outside well before anyone turns up.

1 hour ago, Arthur Marshall said:

I don't think they do any more. I've been there before opening time and the tug is outside well before anyone turns up.

It was in the tunnel 4 weeks ago, I think vandalism is a bit of a problem around Kidsgrove. Perhaps one of them is an early starter.

The shower etc. at the north end is exceptional and little used I was told. Shame there is none at the south end where there is more and  quieter moorings. The trains in Kidsgrove are too close.

42 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

It was in the tunnel 4 weeks ago, I think vandalism is a bit of a problem around Kidsgrove. Perhaps one of them is an early starter.

The shower etc. at the north end is exceptional and little used I was told. Shame there is none at the south end where there is more and  quieter moorings. The trains in Kidsgrove are too close.

It’s been a while, but I’ve used the shower there once or twice and it is was a good one.  
Yes would be nice to have them the other end too. 
I use the one at Westport Lake, if I need, or wait til Etruria. 
There’s one at Red Bull too, I’m sure. 
Plus a good washer and dryer. 
So all in all, that stretch is well serviced. 

There’re more services on that small stretch than there is in Manchester. 

9 minutes ago, Goliath said:

It’s been a while, but I’ve used the shower there once or twice and it is was a good one.  
Yes would be nice to have them the other end too. 
I use the one at Westport Lake, if I need, or wait til Etruria. 
There’s one at Red Bull too, I’m sure. 
Plus a good washer and dryer. 
So all in all, that stretch is well serviced. 

There’re more services on that small stretch than there is in Manchester. 

Westport  services are closed ufn and have been for ages.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Cheshire cat said:

I was at the northern end of the tunnel a couple of weeks ago. It was two o'clock and the rescue boat had already been inserted in the portal

I must have caught them at the wrong time!

2 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Westport  services are closed ufn and have been for ages.

Now that was vandalism. The shower got smashed up, then someone bust up the toilet and wrecked the flush on the elsan. It was fine while nobidy knew it was there - as soon as it got a notice, that was it.