Thursday 4 Aug Harecastle closed.

Arthur Marshall

Featured Posts

Try standing on the towpath with your Trombone and play The Acrobat fff and they may make an emergency opening of the tunnel just to get rid of you.

Failing that,show them your Tenor Horn, (no need to play it) and I am sure you will soon be on your way.😂

46 minutes ago, Mad Harold said:

Try standing on the towpath with your Trombone and play The Acrobat fff and they may make an emergency opening of the tunnel just to get rid of you.

Failing that,show them your Tenor Horn, (no need to play it) and I am sure you will soon be on your way.😂

I can't threaten them with the trombone, they've all run away. Oddly, they showed no interest in the euphemism. And when I said OK, I'll just get my squeezebox out then, they said they'd call the police.

So I just moored up quietly.

IMG_20220804_103151.jpg

• Greenie 1

How deep is the Harecastle?   I remember having to take hireboats through in the 60s because the tunnel had sunk and the towpath was not visible under water, so could have damaged the wooden boats.   I believe the towpath was removed later but don't remember how long the under water part was.   Maybe the left the remains of the towpath in the lowered section.

6 minutes ago, JamesFrance said:

How deep is the Harecastle?   I remember having to take hireboats through in the 60s because the tunnel had sunk and the towpath was not visible under water, so could have damaged the wooden boats.   I believe the towpath was removed later but don't remember how long the under water part was.   Maybe the left the remains of the towpath in the lowered section.

I was told that a lot of concrete was poured into the bottom of the tunnel in places, why, I have no idea. It must be remembered that the tunnel is not only sinking but is being squeezed like a toothpaste tube so presumably there are shallow sections.

I tried poling a boat out once and you can find the bottom with a pole in most places.

On 04/08/2022 at 15:59, Arthur Marshall said:

I can't threaten them with the trombone, they've all run away. Oddly, they showed no interest in the euphemism. And when I said OK, I'll just get my squeezebox out then, they said they'd call the police.

IMG_20220804_103151.jpg

What's those caravans for?

We moored at Westport Lake and set off early to arrive at the tunnel before 8am. Were accepted into the group of boats heading north first thing, no worries. This was earlier in the summer though, when it was open from 8am-12noon for non-booked boats.

11 hours ago, Midnight said:

Good luck Arthur let's hope you make it home this time.

Thank you - we made it! Much relief all round.  All the Heritage boats have escaped and I presume the Black Prince ones too. Bit of a duff boating summer and I don't hold out much hope for next year, either.

• Greenie 1

On 04/08/2022 at 15:59, Arthur Marshall said:

IMG_20220804_103151.jpg

When I played the squeezebox in Harecastle -- as a duet with the trumpet player on the boat behind us -- I got told off by the jobsworth at the exit in case the noise would have prevented any use of a horn as a distress signal.

It obviously escaped his attention that we were the last two boats, and perfectly capable of communicating with each other. 

Or maybe he just didn't like the Dambusters... 😉

59 minutes ago, IanD said:

When I played the squeezebox in Harecastle -- as a duet with the trumpet player on the boat behind us -- I got told off by the jobsworth at the exit in case the noise would have prevented any use of a horn as a distress signal.

You should have told him it WAS a distress signal, but nobody came to help....

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, IanD said:

It obviously escaped his attention that we were the last two boats, and perfectly capable of communicating with each other. 

Or maybe he just didn't like the Dambusters... 😉

I always wonder if they would hear a horn sound when they are in their hut.

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

I always wonder if they would hear a horn sound when they are in their hut.

He obviously heard the squeezebox. I got told off years ago for playing the cornet for the same reason - you need two hands for the trombone - but the acoustics are irresistible....