How to narrowboat in Scotland...

The Gravy Boater

Featured Posts

He is great on the piano and entertaining to watch. Surprised he hasn’t one on the roof, hopefully next Vlog and playing it as he boats along, as far better to listen to, then the drone of noisy bagpipes.🎹

Edited by PD1964

1 hour ago, PD1964 said:

He is great on the piano and entertaining to watch. Surprised he hasn’t one on the roof, hopefully next Vlog and playing it as he boats along, as far better to listen to, then the drone of noisy bagpipes.🎹

Not objecting in the least about his singing or  antics on the boat BUT I do object to him creating a breaking wash and publicising it. 

33 minutes ago, haggis said:

Not objecting in the least about his singing or  antics on the boat BUT I do object to him creating a breaking wash and publicising it. 

It wasn’t breaking for that long and with all that foliage growth I doubt it would of had any real impact on washing the bank away affecting the depth, more so if direct to bare banking without any foliage to block and stabilise it. 

12 hours ago, Up-Side-Down said:

I shared the video with Scottish Canal's chief operating officer and we agreed that retaining his deposit might be good starting point. The clown passed my mooring boat this morning on his way back to the hire base at Falkirk.

You Jobsworth Pratt, the guy gives 1000’s of people pleasure through  watching his videos, he’s having a bit of fun, not harming anyone. Far more inconsiderate people speeding on the canals then this guy who aren’t hirers. 
  Just a typical bitter old man. I take it you never said anything to his face? coward.

• Unimpressed 1

24 minutes ago, haggis said:

Don't quite follow the logic 🙂 .  Are saying that anyone who gives people a lot of pleasure can do what they want and ignore the instructions and conditions of using a canal boat no matter the effect on the environment. and other boaters ? I am sure that he wouldn't have been brought to the attention of  Scottish Canals if the flat out speeding he was so proud of in his video was his only misdemeaner.  Word travels fast on the  canals up here. 

There’s far worse then this that happens on Canals, much more by boat owners then hirers. To send the video IMO is a joke, as I said, I take it he never had words with him about it.

I doubt Terry will be bothered what a couple of people on here think of his antics, compared to the 1000’s that’ll watch it on his YouTube channel.

https://youtube.com/user/pianoboogieking

Edited by PD1964

15 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

There’s far worse then this that happens on Canals, much more by boat owners then hirers. To send the video IMO is a joke, as I said, I take it he never had words with him about it.

I am beginning to understand your thought process 🙂 Because he gives pleasure to lots of people and because far worse things on the canals, it is OK to  ignore instructions about canal boating? It shouldn't have been necessary to have words with him. 

Edited by haggis
  • Greenie 1

7 minutes ago, haggis said:

I am beginning to understand your thought process 🙂 Because he gives pleasure to lots of people and because far worse things on the canals, it is OK to  ignore instructions about canal boating? It shouldn't have been necessary to have words with him. 

It obviously bothers you and the other Scottish person, so I put a link to his YouTube channel above, where you can leave a comment that he will read, so please let him know your feelings on the matter. Yes/No? 

Just now, PD1964 said:

It obviously bothers you and the other Scottish person, so I put a link to his YouTube channel above, where you can leave a comment that he will read, so please let him know your feelings on the matter. Yes/No? 

Thank you. I will do so. 

4 minutes ago, George and Dragon said:

I wonder if the comment will be left for others to read?

Just had a quick look and I don't see that video or comments any more but I as I am not a regular You Tuber, it may still be there 🙂 . He had put up a post saying that he had not exceeded 4mph and had not done any damage to the bank or wildlife.  and my comment was to the effect that to produce a breaking wash like that with the speed lever as hard over as it would go he was going too fast and 4mph is only the speed limit when conditions allow.. Or words to that effect. 

In my view someone as well known as he apparently is showing that video will encourage others to think it is a smart thing to do. 

happy if he has taken it down

The video is still there and he points out in his pinned comment that the film is artificially speeded up for effect.

"Thank you for watching my video here on YouTube. The 'boat speeding up' part of this video is a Camera Trick ( The film is sped up - a lot ) - The boat doesn't actually travel more than 4MPH (3.8 Knots) at any time during the making of this short movie. No banks were corroded and No wildlife were harmed during the making of this short video. The liquid in the glass I'm holding is just Apple Juice - Honest!!"

56 minutes ago, haggis said:

Ah, that was his post I responded to!. That breaking wash was NOT caused by speeding up the film 🙂 

Found it! My post is still there.

haggis

Yes he does leave all the comments on both positive and negative, unlike a lot of boating You-tubers.

They are mainly positive and his Videos are very well received in general.

Edited by PD1964

It would of been so funny if he had a piano on the roof of the Narrowboat, playing as he passed the miserable narrowboaters of Scotland. The Scottish Canals Chief Operating Officer would of been swamped with complaints 😂

Seamed to of been appreciated in some parts of Scotland nevertheless and still wearing his Captains hat🎹🎹

Edited by PD1964