Its finally happened

Hudds Lad

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, Balloon said:

I’m going to name and shame (or show and shame!) this guy because he later managed to make me cry in a heated confrontation at a different lock, and therefore shall NEVER BE FORGIVEN 

his T-shirt sums him up

DF4A223B-3FA4-44C4-8827-FC7EBB35B9FB.jpeg

That's BIZARRE. Does he actually think that's a clever and amusing tee shirt? Mebbe another (female perhaps) boater bought it for him and he hasn't figured it out! !

Coming up to Rugeley, just after the Ash Tree pub last week, there were two boats moored on adjacent end of garden moorings and some distance away a boat coming the other way.

He waved me on (kind of him.as he was much further away than me and the obstruction was on his side) and when I was almost past the second boat suddenly veered across the canal, hit my bow and bounced into the moored boat.

Then he shouted that it was all my fault because I had taken longer than he expected me to passing the moored boats!

The strange thing was, that there was enough room for all three boats if he hadn't had suddenly in panicked and slammed his to boat into reverse. 

24 minutes ago, cuthound said:

Coming up to Rugeley, just after the Ash Tree pub last week, there were two boats moored on adjacent end of garden moorings and some distance away a boat coming the other way.

He waved me on (kind of him.as he was much further away than me and the obstruction was on his side) and when I was almost past the second boat suddenly veered across the canal, hit my bow and bounced into the moored boat.

Then he shouted that it was all my fault because I had taken longer than he expected me to passing the moored boats!

The strange thing was, that there was enough room for all three boats if he hadn't had suddenly in panicked and slammed his to boat into reverse. 

It's surprising how many boaters seen to think they need several feet spare between them and another boat to go past.

1 hour ago, TheBiscuits said:

I do wonder how some of them manage to get into narrow locks.

Very strange is it not?

I rarely hit anything, and if I do it's due to lack of concentration, but yesterday I was holding a gate open for a NB to enter a lock, his own boat, charged at the gap, hit the wall and the other gate, I just threw my hands up in the air, he went in to the lock, hitting the side of that as well, and the door, up the ladders, through the lock in a matter of minutes, but damage to lock and to his own boat, this would be normal.

I also got put through a lock by a boater, and their fairly experienced crew a few days ago, they just opened up the paddles, fully, and we were both thrown around, this is completely mad, it might save two minutes per lock, but it's just not professional and gives one little confidence in the shoreside crew, again, this was considered completely normal.

36 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Bow thruster

This is what I fail to understand, if they just point at the gap the boat will go straight in, yet they seem to feel obliged to put the boat in the wrong place and then correct with the auxilliary device. I can see a bow thruster will occasionally come in handy , but not often just entering a lock.

2 hours ago, LadyG said:

This is what I fail to understand, if they just point at the gap the boat will go straight in, yet they seem to feel obliged to put the boat in the wrong place and then correct with the auxilliary device. I can see a bow thruster will occasionally come in handy , but not often just entering a lock.

If you aim a boat alongside a wall on one side only, with a free expanse of water on other side- as in trying to enter a broad lock through one gate - the boat will have a tendency for the front to push away from the wall because of the difference in pressure caused by the different speeds at which water is being displaced along each side. The faster the approach the worse this tendency. This might explain what you observe. It isn't necessarily a failure to point the boat in a straight line.

Edited by Captain Pegg

2 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

If you aim a boat alongside a wall on one side only, with a free expanse of water on other side- as in trying to enter a broad lock through one gate - the boat will have a tendency for the front to push away from the wall because of the difference in pressure caused by the different speeds at which water is being displaced along each side. The faster the approach the worse this tendency. This might explain what you observe. It's isn't necessarily a failure to point the boat in a straight line.

This was before the bow was in the lock.