CROPREDY CAR PARKING QUESTION

Athy

Featured Posts

For many years there was a dedicated Boaters' Car Park at the Cropredy Festival - it was a smallish canalside field on School Lane. But from memory, that closed after the 2018 festival, and I can't remember where Mrs. Athy parked for the 2019 event. She will need to park from Wednesday afternoon onwards, and the public car park won't be open until Thursday morning.

I have just phoned Iconic Media who a lot of the festival's organisation, and they don't know. Does anyone here have that information, please?

Thanks. The one on Williamscot Road is indeed 24-hour, but doesn't open until Thursday morning, but Mrs. Athy will be arriving after work on Wednesday. 

The other one looks like a possibility. I'm going down, as usual, a couple of days beforehand to tidy the boat up and get stores in, and I don't want Mrs. Athy to arrive and not know where to go.

I'll try that contact.

9 minutes ago, Athy said:

Thanks. The one on Williamscot Road is indeed 24-hour, but doesn't open until Thursday morning, but Mrs. Athy will be arriving after work on Wednesday. 

The other one looks like a possibility. I'm going down, as usual, a couple of days beforehand to tidy the boat up and get stores in, and I don't want Mrs. Athy to arrive and not know where to go.

I'll try that contact.

Could the caravan site be of assistance if you asked?

3 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Could the caravan site be of assistance if you asked?

Thank you for that thought. There is indeed a caravan site just through the hedge from our mooring. I suspect it will be ram jam full, but I'll try to discover their contact details so I can have a word with them.

Well, two e-mails to the person suggested by rgreg have elicited no reply as yet. I tracked down a phone number for the Bridge Meadow caravan site, explained our situation, and a brusque voice said "We don't do parking". What a charmer.

Lots of people moor their boats in and around the village before the festival, and presumably many of them return to their boats by car. It appears that none of them belongs to CWDF, otherwise I might have found the answer by now. 

5 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Have you tried asking Pearsons Farm?  Or Old Dairy Farm on School lane?

No I haven't, and thank you again for the suggestions.

But my point is that there is doubtless an official parking place for boaters, arranged and sanctioned by the festival organisers. It's just that they appear to be keeping it a secret, which doesn't help people very much.

6 minutes ago, Athy said:

But my point is that there is doubtless an official parking place for boaters, arranged and sanctioned by the festival organisers. It's just that they appear to be keeping it a secret, which doesn't help people very much.

The 2 official parking areas are on the map but they will not open till Thursday 11th. In the meantime could you not park in the Council house roads, Cup and Saucer etc?

1 minute ago, Tracy D'arth said:

The 2 official parking areas are on the map but they will not open till Thursday 11th. In the meantime could you not park in the Council house roads, Cup and Saucer etc?

We had thought of that - but even the side roads like Roundbottom, Creampot Lane, Cup & Saucer etc. are generlly festooned with No Parking bollards.

The Old Dairy Farm, incidentally, was later known as Field 8 and is now the Cream Of The Crop. It does private camping and was apparently sold out by last November.

9 minutes ago, Athy said:

We had thought of that - but even the side roads like Roundbottom, Creampot Lane, Cup & Saucer etc. are generlly festooned with No Parking bollards.

The Old Dairy Farm, incidentally, was later known as Field 8 and is now the Cream Of The Crop. It does private camping and was apparently sold out by last November.

Can you do a deal with a taxi firm to bring you in from outside?  Williamscot?  Little/Great Bourton?  The Bell Inn?  Barnstones Caravan Park?

1 minute ago, Goliath said:

ok , didn’t know 

only been through by boat and stayed a few days,

there must be at least a daily bus to/from somewhere?

No daily bus, I think its down to one a week on Saturday and an odd minibus one day a week. The problem always was that if you got the bus out, the return was only a couple of hours later so it was useless.

31 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

No daily bus, I think its down to one a week on Saturday and an odd minibus one day a week. The problem always was that if you got the bus out, the return was only a couple of hours later so it was useless.

20+ years ago that was the situation at several villages in North Yorkshire. The weekly bus service ran to Malton on market day with the return leaving town at 12:30...

24 minutes ago, Goliath said:

Just googled, seems one’d have to walk half hour to the bus stop at Williamscot Turn.

A walk which I know well! I go to the boat a few days before the festival, using 'buses and trains, and the last part of my journey entails walking down to the canal from the A361 through Williamscot. Luckily it's mostly downhill. I'm not sure it takes half an hour but it's over a mile.

2 hours ago, Athy said:

But my point is that there is doubtless an official parking place for boaters, arranged and sanctioned by the festival organisers.  

Why should there be? If I went by boat I wouldn't take the car and if I went by car I wouldn't take the boat

Edited by ditchcrawler
  • Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Why should there be? If I went by boat I wouldn't take the car and if I went by car I wouldn't take the boat

Well, a couple of reasons. Firstly, as I explained in an earlier post, many boaters arrive a couple of weeks early to bag a mooring spot. Pleasant though the area is, they may not wish to stay there for a fortnight until the festival weekend, or they may not be able to do so because of work commitments. So they go home, and come back later by car.

Secondly, Cropredy has extensive CART long term moorings. A good number of the moorers live aboard, and the better-off ones have cars or vans. These they park along the roads in the village, down School Lane or in the public car park at the cricket ground - none of which they can do during the festival period. So they need a boaters' car park.

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

I was going to question the idea of a Boaters’ Car Park 😃

But It may well be someone’s annual trip out of the local marina.

You wouldn’t want them without a car, would you? 😂

17 minutes ago, Goliath said:

I was going to question the idea of a Boaters’ Car Park 😃

But It may well be someone’s annual trip out of the local marina.

You wouldn’t want them without a car, would you? 😂

For the same reason, Cropredy Marina has a car park, because lots of boaters also have cars, yes.  It's quite a way from the festival field though.

39 minutes ago, Goliath said:

I’m sure it’s the idea of a temporary Boaters’ Car Park that the oddity. 

Which ever way I’m sure you’ll work something out. Enjoy 👍

Thanks, we usually do - and this year looks set to be the first one in a long time for which we shan't need waterproof clothing!

I did, I think, explain the need for a temporary boaters' car5 park three or four posts ago.