New water tank placement

Featured Posts

Hello, 

I've just prepared the bow area for the new water tank to be placed in, but before I put it in, we were just wondering if it should sit on something. 

I'm thinking about air flow and condensation so I'm guessing it could sit on a couple of wooden beams maybe? Or would plastic be better? 

Thanks. 

The sheath off 2.5 mm twin and earth is good if you can't  get PVC window frame.  Wood goes rotten when the condensation gets it.  Treated timber takes longer.q

Give the outside of the tank a layer of Kingspan well ally taped together and that will fix the condensation.

N

• Greenie 2

I was just going to ask what the tank is made from. 

I have a plastic tank up front too. 
I’m not going to say condensation won't happen but in my experience I have not had any trouble with condensation on my plastic tank. 

Is there plenty of room around the tank? Lots of ventilation and plenty of draft?

Then it maybe ok. 

I found the most important thing was what the tank was sitting on. 
When I took my tank out, I found it had been sitting on sterling board which had turned to mush. Not through condensation but trapped water through ingress. (Rain, over filling the tank, doing locks). 

My tank now sits on treated wooden planks, which rest on iron ballast, which rests on an epoxy painted base. 

The point being I tried to create as much ventilation under the tank as I could and allow any water to drain and dry, but not trap and collect. 

I have easy access to my tank so I can see condensation is not a problem (for me).  

I’m learning nothing is ever perfect on a boat, you can only do the best you can at the time. 

And it’ll do no harm insulating the tank..but it might not be necessary. 

Just make sure the tank is supported flat and any water can’t get trapped underneath,

that would be my non expert advice. 👍

Edited by Goliath

2 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

With a plastic tank, do the makers say it must sit on a base that supports all the bottom? Some do. Sitting on a few battens may cause failure.

Could be sat on a piece of kingspan possibly.

40 minutes ago, SweetPromise said:

Oh OK, cool, I'll look into finding something to sit it evenly on. 

Interesting about the lack of condensation on your plastic tank too. There will be a lot of space around it. Maybe I'll get away with it as is. 

You ought to make sure it’s secure and somehow wedged in tight.