The truth behind raw sewage in Chester's River Dee as swimmers fall violently ill.

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

If sewage released into the river (and diluted 1000's of times) can cause illness, why do 'Waterless toilet' owners think that there is no risk in dumping 'non-composted' 'human droppings' into waste bins ?

Anyway :

0_Untitled-design-10.jpg

The truth behind raw sewage in Chester's River Dee as swimmers fall violently ill - Cheshire Live (cheshire-live.co.uk)

Dr Dunn was speaking to Cheshire Live in the light of news that a number of people who had been in the river around The Groves in recent weeks had been ill for 24 hours or so afterwards as a result. He said that the infrastructure used to handle things like flooding was not capable of coping with our modern way of life, with water companies needing to invest in adapting to be able to address this in future.

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

If sewage released into the river (and diluted 1000's of times) can cause illness, why do 'Waterless toilet' owners think that there is no risk in dumping 'non-composted' 'human droppings' into waste bins ?

Anyway :

0_Untitled-design-10.jpg

The truth behind raw sewage in Chester's River Dee as swimmers fall violently ill - Cheshire Live (cheshire-live.co.uk)

Dr Dunn was speaking to Cheshire Live in the light of news that a number of people who had been in the river around The Groves in recent weeks had been ill for 24 hours or so afterwards as a result. He said that the infrastructure used to handle things like flooding was not capable of coping with our modern way of life, with water companies needing to invest in adapting to be able to address this in future.

If you took a swim in the Canoe Course at HolmePier Pont Nottingham the centre there used to advise you to drink flat Coka Cola to kill any bugs that you may have just got

2 minutes ago, Tonka said:

If you took a swim in the Canoe Course at HolmePier Pont Nottingham the centre there used to advise you to drink flat Coka Cola to kill any bugs that you may have just got

Presumably with exactly the same amount of factual evidence behind it as Trumpian claims about various drugs for Covid had i.e. none...

3 minutes ago, IanD said:

Presumably with exactly the same amount of factual evidence behind it as Trumpian claims about various drugs for Covid had i.e. none...

That maybe true but I do know people who drank coke were not ill and yet people who swam at the same time and did not drink coke were ill.

2 minutes ago, Tonka said:

That maybe true but I do know people who drank coke were not ill and yet people who swam at the same time and did not drink coke were ill.

Which is of course no proof at all, as I hope you realise... 😉

Please don't post false or misleading advice about anything medical, because there's a chance that somebody who doesn't understand all this will take notice and be harmed as a result. 

1 minute ago, IanD said:

Please don't post false or misleading advice about anything medical, because there's a chance that somebody who doesn't understand all this will take notice and be harmed as a result. 

No we are OK Prof Justin Smith stays on the political pages.

Just now, Tonka said:

No we are OK Prof Justin Smith stays on the political pages.

So your post about drinking flat Coca Cola to avoid catching something from bacteria-laden water doesn't count then? Please explain why...

4 minutes ago, IanD said:

So your post about drinking flat Coca Cola to avoid catching something from bacteria-laden water doesn't count then? Please explain why...

I dis not say that and you know it. 

16 minutes ago, Tonka said:

I dis not say that and you know it. 

You posted it, you own it.

If you'd added a comment about this being bollux that would be different, but you just posted it as was.

Would you care to add such a comment, or do you believe in what it said?

1 hour ago, IanD said:

I am not sure it is false.  I have had medics advise flat Coke for minor stomach upsets.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, dmr said:

I don't drink tea or coffee so have some coke everyday to get my caffeine fix. I have not had covid yet, case proven   😀

Ah, but have you  got any teeth left?

When we were scout leaders (10+ yrs ago) drinking flat coke was popular after swimming - no idea if it did any good but didn't have any problems with tummy bugs. However, as the UK's only 100% outdoor based (in a woods) scout group our kids were pretty rufty-tufty and regularly exposed to all manner of dirt and germs.

• Greenie 2

15 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

So, it is proven that coke does nothing but 'getting Brahms& Liszt' kills the bugs - there you go.

Interesting they say the vinegar had an effect probably owing to its pH and yet vinegar and coke are both in the pH 2-3 range.  Personally I would much prefer to drink coke than either vinegar or olive oil.

1 hour ago, dmr said:

I don't drink tea or coffee so have some coke everyday to get my caffeine fix. I have not had covid yet, case proven   😀

You may be on to something there. Can't stand coke so don't drink it, had Covid more than once. Looks like coke with bleach chasers was the answer all along.

• Haha 2

On the, fortunately rare, occasions when I have had vomiting sickness, I have long found that fizzy Coke (or Pepsi) is the best thing to drink that stands a chance of staying down. The high sugar content of regular coke provides energy when solid food doesn't stay down. 

Lucozade used to have the same effect, but since it went 'healthy' by reducing its sugar/glucose content, it is no longer as effective as it was for restoring a diabetics' sugar balance, roughly twice as much new stuff required for the same effect as the old stuff. When I was a first aider I used to keep a tin of traditional coke available to deal with any emergencies suffered by our diabetics.

Edited by Ronaldo47
typo

2 hours ago, IanD said:

You posted it, you own it.

If you'd added a comment about this being bollux that would be different, but you just posted it as was.

Would you care to add such a comment, or do you believe in what it said?

See I did tell you right. 

52 minutes ago, Jerra said:

Interesting they say the vinegar had an effect probably owing to its pH and yet vinegar and coke are both in the pH 2-3 range.  Personally I would much prefer to drink coke than either vinegar or olive oil.

The hydrochloric acid in the stomach tends to bring stomach contents to that sort of pH anyway.  

Just now, alias said:

The hydrochloric acid in the stomach tends to bring stomach contents to that sort of pH anyway.  

True, however I was wondering what sort of investigation would prove one PH worked against the bacteria and the same Ph didn't.

47 minutes ago, Ronaldo47 said:

On the, fortunately rare, occasions when I have had vomiting sickness, I have long found that fizzy Coke (or Pepsi) is the best thing to drink that stands a chance of staying down. The high sugar content of regular coke provides energy when solid food doesn't stay down. 

When I regularly travelled in the developing world Coke and Pepsi were the usual way of getting through a bout of Delhi Belly or similar for exactly that reason - and Coke at least was near universally available, albeit at a price. 

10 minutes ago, Jerra said:

True, however I was wondering what sort of investigation would prove one PH worked against the bacteria and the same Ph didn't.

Given the number of potential variables involved in who picks up an infection and who doesn't, and whether any particular countermeasure mitigates it, I suspect this would need a very large and expensive trial.  I doubt anyone would fund this.

It seems obvious that it's undesirable to have waste getting into watercourses, and also obvious that the costs of changing the (now privately owned) infrastructure to do something about it would be huge. Stories of post immersion illness have been numerous and sometimes high profile (e.g. Walliams in the Thames) but until a suitably large numbers of bodies pile up I doubt action will be taken. That seems to leave individuals to manage their own risk. Where have I heard that before. 🙃

The proper answer to the hazard for an organised venue like HolmePier Pont is to check water quality regularly, and monitor for incidence of disease in competitors, which they now seem to do: https://britishcanoeingevents.org.uk/freestyle2022/water-quality/