How many is too many?

CIEL

Featured Posts

I've got six, one that came with the boat all them years back, a long throw lightweight one my wife wanted, and GoWindlass I treated myself to a couple of years ago. All the rest were found lurking in the undergrowth, as were all my mooring pins and piling hooks apart from the two longhandled ones Jason of Bargus made for me. The fenders were contributed by other boaters via the canal.

4 hours ago, rusty69 said:

We only have a couple of steel ones. I did find a lovely aluminium one at a lock once, but at the very next lock chucked it from one side, attempting to get it to Mrs Rusty on the other side, and the damn thing fell in the water.

Someone gave me this the other day (not the tape measure). Its a lovely looking thing, but not sure how practical it would be

IMG_20220802_113341904_MP.jpg

I’ve got 2 of these one with a large Grand Union size socket? and one with an Oxford size. Sure they came from a WRG stall at a rally years ago. They aren’t really useable but polished up they make a decoration. I have a long throw steel one which somebody drilled the hole out from a solid piece of metal and which was very useful up t North.

Used my brass GU one  a lot, (Thanks Jan) it’s the best as Hands don’t get troubles others cause :

For me steel ones cause blisters aluminium cause dark staining on hands and the rotating ones can catch my hand in between the plastic and metal. 

As for longer windlasses how annoying on some lower gate paddles. I seem to skin my knuckles regularly but the short windlasses are too short to get ground paddles up sometimes. 

We do have a number of miniature brsss windlasses we give to friends and family who crew for us as a memento 

Cant see anyone has mentioned their C&H spikes yet 🤣