Starts At: Lock 10 Hazelhurst Top Lock
Ends At: Lock 13 Cheddleton Top Lock
Up Stream Winding Hole: Cheddleton
Down Stream Winding Hole: Hazelhurst

Monday 5 September 2022 08:00 until Friday 24 March 2023 17:00

Type: Navigation Closure 
Reason: (Re)Construction

Original message:

Please be advised we will be closing this section of the canal to facilitate the building of a new bridge.

Further information about the project can be found here:

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/news-and-views/news/gbp2-million-hazelhurst-bridge-restoration-work-to-begin-early-august

You can view this notice and its map online here:
https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notice/22950/bridge-37-hazelhurst-bridge-caldon-canal

You can find all notices at the url below:
https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notices

Indeed they did: I read about it in their magazine and was amazed.

But I don't think it had to conform to Grade 2 Listed regulations regarding design, construction and re-use of old stonework which the Caldon one does.

Even so, it does sound excessively lengthy.

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

Cotswold canal Trust had a railway bridge put in over Christmas

And the railway was closed for a very few days. But the canal through the site was dewatered for quite a lot longer both before and after the railway possession.

It can be done a lot faster, however the cost increase is not linear, more like a square law. The other problem is all the listed consent problems, oh and now they have discovered newts! On top of that, 24/7 access still has to be provided.
The real problem here is that this was a self inflicted wound in the first place, and if someone had been on the ball, it could have been a much cheaper job.

48 minutes ago, Ian Mac said:

It can be done a lot faster, however the cost increase is not linear, more like a square law. The other problem is all the listed consent problems, oh and now they have discovered newts! On top of that, 24/7 access still has to be provided.
The real problem here is that this was a self inflicted wound in the first place, and if someone had been on the ball, it could have been a much cheaper job.

Its the drying time on lime mortar that has to be used. Although why they can't build with Portland cement in the core and point up with lime mortar is beyond me.

Newts are everywhere, HS2 just fence an area, evict what are there by stripping the top soil, filling ponds and stop them getting back in.

20 minutes ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Its the drying time on lime mortar that has to be used. Although why they can't build with Portland cement in the core and point up with lime mortar is beyond me.

Newts are everywhere, HS2 just fence an area, evict what are there by stripping the top soil, filling ponds and stop them getting back in.

Totally illegally.  I don't know why such a fuss is made over |Newts.   Frogs, Toads, Adders, Slow worms and Lizards have the same protection.

19 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Modern cements are fine where you have modern foundations which are unlikely to move. With heritage structures, this is not the case, and slight movement, particularly when there are extremes of weather, is to be expected. Lime mortar allows for this slight movement, while modern mortars crack, and when it's cracked, it's f**ked.

• Greenie 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/08/2022 at 17:26, David Mack said:

And the railway was closed for a very few days. But the canal through the site was dewatered for quite a lot longer both before and after the railway possession.

Thats right though that was to mostly make good improve or build the towpath, the whole thing was scaled down massively - as the canal wasnt navigable is what I was advised. It could if pressed have opened very much faster. It was dewatered for 6 weeks before though that could have been much shortened too. 

As an aside there has been a leak since the reopening, however it seems the source has new been identified. 

• 6 months later...

But...

"10/03/2023 15:42 

Passage will be available through the site twice per day 9.00am to 10pm & 1:30pm to 2:30, Monday to Friday. For boats travelling west, our contractors will facilitate the operations of the adjacent lock so that boaters do not have to get off their boats. Travelling east, boaters should be able to operate the lock adjacent themselves.  Unrestricted passage will be available evenings from 5pm and mornings until 7:30am and throughout weekends and bank holidays, including the full Easter Weekend. The contractors will leave the site so that boaters can operate the locks from both directions without assistance"

Am I looking at the right place?

On 12/03/2023 at 19:23, Arthur Marshall said:

But...

"10/03/2023 15:42 

Passage will be available through the site twice per day 9.00am to 10pm & 1:30pm to 2:30, Monday to Friday. For boats travelling west, our contractors will facilitate the operations of the adjacent lock so that boaters do not have to get off their boats. Travelling east, boaters should be able to operate the lock adjacent themselves.  Unrestricted passage will be available evenings from 5pm and mornings until 7:30am and throughout weekends and bank holidays, including the full Easter Weekend. The contractors will leave the site so that boaters can operate the locks from both directions without assistance"

Am I looking at the right place?

Yes you are, its taken a lot of beating up of the contractors, but they have agreed that the canal can be open for 2 one hour periods during the day whilst they are working.
I also have heard a rumour that the  local authority heritage advisor, has had significant input to the bridge works. Not sure if this is good or bad. Just wish the contractors had not scored a home goal in the first place!.

--

Ian Mac

I am planning a trip up to Froghall from the main line first week in May - does anyone locally understand what's going on and whether I will be able to go up and down during the designated time slots and /or out of working hours as well - as CaRT stoppages site suggest?

Don't put the CaRT before the horse - and keep the boat behind

T