Ballast Removal

Featured Posts

Over the years, I accumulated a large amount of change, ie coins, in bottles etc which I have brought back from my boat and now need to dispose of.  I only have an online bank account so I can't use a bank.  The Post Office are reputed to take cash, does anybody have experience of trying to do this?  Do they need it sorted, bagged and if so in what quantities, etc? Do they have a maximum hit in one visit? Yes, I've visited the website - no help at all.  I could visit in person but I am not confident the staff will admit to being able to do anything unless I stand on my rights. 

If you have a bank account, ask your bank branch for bags and what they will take, counted & bagged up.

I suspect the PO are the same, ask them?

I pour my change into the self service supermarket checkouts.

Don't use the change machines in the entrances of supermarkets, they take 15% off you.

If you have a real lot of coin, I will come and take it away for free if it helps you out. Do I need a big van or a lorry?

Our local supermarket has a coin counting machine which counts them and issues a ticket which can be used against your shop or exchanged for cash at the checkout 

The downside is they take a commission of 5%.

You will need to bag it.  The banks/ Post Office will supply the bags but you may need to give warning.  Which coin  goes in each bag, and the value is on the bags.  The bank/PO will then weigh them. Some banks have automatic coin sorters  though you still have to bag to the right value.

Try to persuade them to swap coins for notes, though they do not have to do that.  If using  the PO you will need to fill in a paying in slip, then it all goes in an envelope.  Takes about 48 hours to get to your bank.  Banks will only want a paying in slip and the moola.

N

At school aged about 17 I was involved in organising a sponsored walk. Afterwards lots of the money raised was dumped on us organisers as mixed coins. We had a pile of bank coin bags, but not enough, so we carefully counted it all out and put £10 worth of 1p and 2p coins in bags marked £5 total, thinking the bank clerk would tip out half, weigh it, add or subtract coins to get a £5 total then check weigh the remaining coins in the bag. But no. He emptied all of our bags onto one big heap on the counter, then moaned continuously about how long it was taking him to count it all out again!

Last time I tried to get rid of me big jar of change at a bank they refused it. 
Was my bank too. 

Took me weeks to get rid of it in the pubs.
What ever the pennies were over the nearest pound they got in 1p, 2p and 5p’s. 
They were happy of the change

…to a point 😃

Edited by Goliath

1 hour ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Before I retired I used the self service checkouts in Boots (where I bought my meal-deal lunch) to get rid of the surplus change in my pockets.

3 hours ago, cuthound said:

Our local supermarket has a coin counting machine which counts them and issues a ticket which can be used against your shop or exchanged for cash at the checkout 

The downside is they take a commission of 5%.

I'll do the same for notes: give me a table, and I will count your banknotes for you. For every hundred quid I only charge a fiver and give ninetyfive back. Good value imho

• Haha 2

I feed all my change into the self checkout at the supermarket.  Pay by cash, then just keep shovelling it in.  When it's all gone, press the go back icon and pay the balance by card. Job done. With the price of food you could get rid of loads.

• Greenie 2

4 minutes ago, Peanut said:

I feed all my change into the self checkout at the supermarket.  Pay by cash, then just keep shovelling it in.  When it's all gone, press the go back icon and pay the balance by card. Job done. With the price of food you could get rid of loads.

This is JEANIOUS!!

I never realised you could do that, thank you!! 

the late SWMBO used to keep two jars on the hallstand.  Any change that might prove useful for slot machines, parking meters, etc. went in one, and periodically taken out and kept in the car ready for use; everything else (up to the value of 10p) in the other.  The local charity shop was always happy to take the contents of the second jar.

Small local shops are usually more than happy to exchange a few bags of coins for notes. As a student, my daughter worked in the Village shop and they were always glad of more coins for change, as many of the older regular customers seemed to insist on paying with notes.

2 hours ago, Peanut said:

That that means using the self checkout. Why not just give it to the lady maybe  man on the till?

3 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

That that means using the self checkout. Why not just give it to the lady maybe  man on the till?

Because there is a maximum amount of coinage per denomination that is 'legal tender' the person / shop can refuse to accept payment if you 'tender' above the legal amount.

1 pence coins > up to 20 pence

2 pence coins > up to 20 pence

5 pence coins > up to £5

10 pence coins > up to £5

20 pence coins > up to £10

50 pence coins > up to £10

£1 pound coins > any amount

£2 pound coins > any amount

You may be interested to know that £1 and £2 coins are legal tender for any amount – even if they are in a block of ice or a bucket of rice pudding.

2 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Because counting half a kilogramme of loose change will take the average spod on the till blooming ages while you stand there like a lemon, holding everyone up! 

7 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Because there is a maximum amount of coinage per denomination that is 'legal tender' the person / shop can refuse to accept payment if you 'tender' above the legal amount. .... 1 pence coins > up to 20 pence ...

My plastic creditcard isn't legal tender, either. But shops often choose to accept it ...

• Greenie 1

My local NatWest had a coin counting machine in public area which Nat west customers could use to deposit coins. Don’t know if it still there as it’s years since I’ve been into a bank branch

On 31/07/2022 at 17:06, Tracy D'arth said:

If you have a bank account, ask your bank branch for bags and what they will take, counted & bagged up.

I suspect the PO are the same, ask them?

Don't use the change machines in the entrances of supermarkets, they take 15% off you.

If you have a real lot of coin, I will come and take it away for free if it helps you out. Do I need a big van or a lorry?

Seem to remember that the one time I used a supermarket coin counter that the  ‘commission’ went to charity

14 hours ago, Tim Lewis said:

Seem to remember that the one time I used a supermarket coin counter that the  ‘commission’ went to charity

I very much doubt it renting out the space for coin counting machines, key cutting/dog tag machines etc is a nice little earner for the supermarket. I used to have the problem of connecting them to t'internet etc for Tesco...

Edited by jonathanA
Clarify