Gearbox PRM 125 V 150 ?

Featured Posts

Hi

looks like i'm going to have to get a new gear box....furious........ currently have  a prm120.

its a 36/38hp iZSuzu thonreycroft. tink was standard early 2000's Liverpool boats to fit a 120.

i could replace like with like and get the 125 whihc has replaced the now defunct 120.

i just wanted to check that im not being foolish by not fitting the hydraulic  150, i'm aware theres a little adjusting to do to fit them but comrades on here have done it.

obvs 125 cheaper but dont want to regret this moment of opportunity 

i'm a continuous cruiser live aboard.

with a small engine is it worth it ?

what difference would it make?

are the 125's being well liked?

am i missing another option?

thanks for your time and effort

hamish

Canal boating is hard on gearboxes , because of the high number of gear changes and greater use of reverse when compared with most boats.  You don't  say why your 120 failed, but in any event a 150 is a better gearbox with greater margins for canal work. If you can afford it, and do the necessary adjustments etc. I would go for a 150.

Nq

• Greenie 1

Yes the PRM 150 is a much better gearbox. I’ve looked into this particular issue myself as my PRM 90 is slipping.

The problem is you could probably spend £900ish on a new PRM125 and replace it yourself. Or you could spend £1350ish on a PRM150 plus £100 for the oil cooler (required on the PRM150) and then probably have to pay someone to fit it all as the engine will require realignment…..annoyingly the PRM150 isn’t an exact drop in replacement due to it’s differing dimensions. Not sure what an engineer would charge for this work…..say £300? So the total bill is circa £1750 for the PRM150. Only you can decide if the extra £800 is worth it……if you intend to keep the boat for a long time or do lots of hours per year it probably is. 

Thanks everyone super useful.

Am gonna have to borrow either way  credit card etc. 

The 120 been slipping fora while have replaced cone and mechanic as adjusted things a few times for temp improvment saying 'teeth are going' might have rembered the phrase wrong. Now it's seems the 'teeth' have gone. 

Would a 150 still add to value of boat when it's  on a 20 yearold  engine ?

Cheers 

Hamish 

1 minute ago, ditchcrawler said:

But the 150s are 'not available'.

Calcut have got recon available at ~£1200

Buy Canal Boat Gearboxes from Calcutt Boats, Warwickshire

1 hour ago, system 4-50 said:

Does yoy really need a gearbox?

If that is adressed to me - then - yes I find them a particularly useful piece of equipment, so much in fact that I have two of them.

Just now, ditchcrawler said:

I went down that road once, I wouldn't do it again for the difference in cost

I guess its just the difference in who has got one.

(I have a totally unused rebuilt 150 in my shed, lying next to a Lister LPWS4 - cannot see me needing either unless I come back to the ditches).

There are various gearboxes on E Bay, some PRM mechanical, some hydraulic plus some others, Hurth etc, in your position I would go for whatever can be dropped in with the least changes to mounts, plumbing etc.

Beware of recons, especially from Key Diesels

There is very little difference in the installation sizes, the 150 is 15.6mm shorter, drop 1.7mm more than the 125. Splines are the same. It should go straight in and just need the engine mounts adjusting to align it properly.

The difference in length should be no problem, the shaft may move enough or at worst case its only a 15mm spacer.

19 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I went down that road once, I wouldn't do it again for the difference in cost

I've looked closely at recon PRM 90s and PRM 150s for myself, and I agree....there's not enough difference in cost to be worth it. 

1 hour ago, hamish33 said:

Would a 150 still add to value of boat when it's  on a 20 yearold  engine ?

No. The main thing is that the gearbox be functioning, whether it's a PRM 120 or a PRM 150. 

Alan de enfield-  its been slipping for ages gor a new cone 2020 had it looked at twice when just not responding at all. mechanic has been able to adjust but says teeth are going he didn't say that but that's me hashing his language in my memory 

It looks like they've gone for good now.

Tho breaking news the lever just came off from were it attaches to the box so that loose connection may have been a big factor?

. Tho is slow to shift even if doing by hand missing out the lever.

Will re fix lever and try again before forking out either way. 

Feels like key take aways are

150 is better gear box but big extra spend so do I  feel worth the money.....

125 will do the job ?

Re cons not worth the risk.

Surely a boat with working 150 is worth more than one with a working 125? 

5 minutes ago, hamish33 said:

Alan de enfield-  its been slipping for ages gor a new cone 2020 had it looked at twice when just not responding at all. mechanic has been able to adjust but says teeth are going he didn't say that but that's me hashing his language in my memory 

It looks like they've gone for good now.

Tho breaking news the lever just came off from were it attaches to the box so that loose connection may have been a big factor?

. Tho is slow to shift even if doing by hand missing out the lever.

Will re fix lever and try again before forking out either way. 

Feels like key take aways are

150 is better gear box but big extra spend so do I  feel worth the money.....

125 will do the job ?

Re cons not worth the risk.

Surely a boat with working 150 is worth more than one with a working 125? 

Only to those who know about such things. It is, I feel, more likely to swing a sale to the one with a 150 rather than increase the price.