Any idea what this is?

Xebec

Featured Posts

Morning all,

So we finally got the keys and have taken ownership of zebec, we have found a great amount of items left over the years and found this.

Any idea what this could be?

Thanks for looking 🙂

20220731_083230.jpg

4 minutes ago, howardang said:

It's a brass garden syringe, used for watering plants and spraying insecticide etc.

Search for vintage garden syringe on YouTube and there is an image of an identical one.

Howard

Yes , a garden syringe. my father had one

• Greenie 1

25 minutes ago, howardang said:

It's a brass garden syringe, used for watering plants and spraying insecticide etc.

Search for vintage garden syringe on YouTube and there is an image of an identical one.

Howard

And much fun was had on a hot summers day :)

46 minutes ago, Xebec said:

Morning all,

So we finally got the keys and have taken ownership of zebec, we have found a great amount of items left over the years and found this.

Thanks for looking 🙂

20220731_083230.jpg

Probably worth about a fiver in scrap value if it doesn't work!

Terrible shame to throw it away though... should clearing stuff out be your intention. Flog it on ebay I'd suggest.

24 minutes ago, MtB said:

Terrible shame to throw it away though... should clearing stuff out be your intention. Flog it on ebay I'd suggest.

I have a notion that it has a leather washer which could be replaced if it's not working, not much else to go wrong.

• Greenie 1

27 minutes ago, MtB said:

polish it up and put it on the wall as a 'feature' !

Just now, Xebec said:

Hi, no it is all staying on the boat, will find a place for it, i can now let friends guess what it is 🙂

Good call. It's got character and easily repairable. When you get a few flowerpots on the boat, you can go all Monty Don spraying them.

2 hours ago, Xebec said:

Morning all,

Thanks for looking 🙂

20220731_083230.jpg

It's a table?

1 hour ago, LadyG said:

I have a notion that it has a leather washer which could be replaced if it's not working, not much else to go wrong.

A wide variety of sizes available from these people :- https://www.base-camp.co.uk/Cups .htm

They also stock possibly the best selection of Oil lamp and Paraffin Stove spares and parts in the UK.

Edited by David Schweizer

12 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

A wide variety of sizes available from these people :- https://www.base-camp.co.uk/Cups .htm

They also stock possibly the best selection of Oil lamp and Paraffin Stove spares and parts in the UK.

I rebuilt a primus stove using their parts, excellent, came in handy when the calor gas ran out last week!

49 minutes ago, MtB said:

Easily replaced but not so easily obtained in the first place,I suspect. 

Funnily enough I have replaced similar fairly easily but I do know a lot of horsey type peeps who know sadle makers, so scraps of leather is easy.

Dad used his old slaughterman apron to replace the washer but old leathers belts will also work

39 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

Funnily enough I have replaced similar fairly easily but I do know a lot of horsey type peeps who know sadle makers, so scraps of leather is easy.

Dad used his old slaughterman apron to replace the washer but old leathers belts will also work

Dammit I've just thrown out my last one of those.....

2 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

One of these, I suspect :-

image.png.cd269ee352a2ce3495fb00272cc98539.png

Sort of, it was no way as pretty as that one but it served the same purpose, dad's had a curved hook and the head was not solid but sort of made out of a strip of metal curved from the top of the shaft, odd thing and difficult to describe