Specifying a new (1st) Narrowboat and need help choosing the right engine

x20rmw

Featured Posts

41 minutes ago, Loddon said:

Have to agree with @OldGoat . ( OG says !Yea!)

I have been running HE cooled engines for twenty years now and can't remember mine blocking although I do clean the filter every day whether it needs it or not.

Both of us have 50hp Beta and to get a skin tank large enough to cool the engine (13sqft) would encroach on the living space. 

On Parglena it would have needed to be 30sqft God knows where I could have put a tank or two to make that size.

I'd forgotten about the challenge of skin tank size. My boat fabricator did fit one (the other side had the intake / mud filter) but that was for  a possible genset).

35 minutes ago, PaulJ said:

Have to say there is also something quite relaxing about the whooshing sound from the wet exhaust..

Secretly that's what I hoped from mine - but the water block thingy smoothed out the flow so I get a constant stream instead!

1 hour ago, OldGoat said:

I'd forgotten about the challenge of skin tank size. My boat fabricator did fit one (the other side had the intake / mud filter) but that was for  a possible genset).

Loddon has one fitted, I believe when it was built the gearbox oil cooler ran via a wet exhaust and the engine was on the skin tank, didn't last long. 

TTT_engine.jpg

engine_installation.jpeg

2 hours ago, PaulJ said:

Have to say there is also something quite relaxing about the whooshing sound from the wet exhaust..

Yes, agreed. 

But noticing when it stops (as mine did a LOT) is actually quite difficult. Until reminded by all the steam in the engine room. 

5 minutes ago, MtB said:

Yes, agreed. 

But noticing when it stops (as mine did a LOT) is actually quite difficult. Until reminded by all the steam in the engine room. 

This is true.

For the first couple days I spent on the boat the whooshing sound was the loudest thing I could hear. Was a BMC too.

Then the gear cable went and with no replacement to hand I spent the next days with the engine cover up so I could utilise my new method of gear change-a broom handle.

Spent alot of time glancing over my shoulder at that point.

Went into, through and out of Brum with no blockages though 😀

20 minutes ago, MtB said:

Yes, agreed. 

Mine goes from a quiet burble to an unsilenced roar if the water is not on.