Anti Social?

Kendorr

Featured Posts

I'm moored just to the West of Alrewas, nice peaceful spot. Sometime during the night  I woke and could hear booming 'music' in the distance. I must have dozed back off, but them woke with a start as the boat banged against the side and heard chatting as a boat went passed heading west, this was 3-00 am. About 5 minutes later, the booming 'music' started again and it was about 35 minutes before it subsided into the distance!

42 minutes ago, Kendorr said:

I'm moored just to the West of Alrewas, nice peaceful spot. Sometime during the night  I woke and could hear booming 'music' in the distance. I must have dozed back off, but them woke with a start as the boat banged against the side and heard chatting as a boat went passed heading west, this was 3-00 am. About 5 minutes later, the booming 'music' started again and it was about 35 minutes before it subsided into the distance!

Did you see the boat because it sounds like something we have encountered before

27 minutes ago, Jerra said:

So you can do anything you like on a Friday night and it won't be anti social?

I would say that's anti-social whatever day and time it was. We had to endure some incredibly loud 70s punk music from some distance away while moored in Fenny Compton Thursday evening. Fortunately it was only for about an hour. I pity anyone on boats moored a bit nearer.

I'm all for a bit of loud music but only when I'm not inflicting it on other people. There are some selfish and inconsiderate gits about.

2 minutes ago, Lily Rose said:

I would say that's anti-social whatever day and time it was. We had to endure some incredibly loud 70s punk music from some distance away while moored in Fenny Compton Thursday evening. Fortunately it was only for about an hour. I pity anyone on boats moored a bit nearer.

I'm all for a bit of loud music but only when I'm not inflicting it on other people. There are some selfish and inconsiderate gits about.

I would totally agree.

4 minutes ago, Paul C said:

Loud music and partying is okay if its not a school night.

Not if it disturbs others.   I know in this case it might not/probably wasn't the case but for some Friday night is a "school night".

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, Paul C said:

Sun-Thu is "school night" because its the night before Mon-Fri, the typical working week in the Western World. "School night" is not a literal meaning, its a colloquialism.

Yes I know what you meant but in effect it's pointless, we live in a 24/7 country, in reality every night is a school night

• Greenie 3

7 minutes ago, Jerra said:

Not if it disturbs others.   I know in this case it might not/probably wasn't the case but for some Friday night is a "school night".

I am working this Saturday too, but if one of my neighbours on a Friday night had a party, I would not be a killjoy and impose my disapproval! I would hope to be invited, drink moderately and probably leave a little earlier than others.

5 minutes ago, Paul C said:

I am working this Saturday too, but if one of my neighbours on a Friday night had a party, I would not be a killjoy and impose my disapproval! I would hope to be invited, drink moderately and probably leave a little earlier than others.

That doesn't mean everybody is able to cope with that.  Also this isn't (as I read it) a neighbour, who you would want to keep good relations with.  It is somebody who doesn't give the proverbial tinkers cuss about how many peoples "school night" they disturb, as they cruise for several hours after most workers would be in bed, if working the next day.

Edited by Jerra
adding an e

1 hour ago, Kendorr said:

Very antisocial and in breach of CRT’s licence terms and conditions. We had something similar at Jericho (Oxford) and it was of course an Oxfordshire Narrowboats hire boat with all young male crew. 1am for us, but no better for it.

When I was still working, it was as a pilot. If my sleep was badly disturbed prior to an early morning flight it meant I wasn’t properly rested and I had a choice of either flying when I was tired - which of course is illegal because people’s lives are put at risk - or calling in sick first thing in the morning and causing flight disruption. So if causing that to happen isn’t antisocial I don’t know what is. The point in part of course is that whilst some people get paid simply for turning up for work and then having a kip in the toilet prior to doing some activities which don’t require any thought, other people need to be firing on all cylinders when at work, and a good night’s sleep is a prerequisite for that, unless you are Margaret Thatcher.

And anyway, it isn’t just boaters who would have been disturbed, no doubt the local residents too. And people wonder why residents put up “no mooring” signs etc.

Edited by nicknorman

47 minutes ago, Paul C said:

Loud music and partying is okay if its not a school night.

Whilst I understand that your post is just a wind up :D Its actualy true to say, that there are some Richard Craniums about, that actualy believe in your remark!!

• Greenie 1

15 minutes ago, nicknorman said:

And anyway, it isn’t just boaters who would have been disturbed, no doubt the local residents too. And people wonder why residents put up “no mooring” signs etc.

Perhaps a "No Blaring" sign would be more appropriate.

2 minutes ago, frangar said:

You really aren’t as clever as you think you might be…please do advise of your boat name if you have one so we can treat you accordingly. 

Everyone else has managed to stay on topic. You alone, "played the person not the ball". If you have something constructive to add to the debate, add it. If you can only make personal attacks, I will interpret this as an inability to debate properly (which might be seen as YOU not being as clever as you think you are). Its up to you, to choose what to post on the internet.

• Greenie 1
  • Unimpressed 1

Yes, very antisocial. I don't care what night of the week it is, everyone has a right to a good nights sleep. I don't think it's unreasonable to expect loud music to be turned off by 11.30pm, that's not being a killjoy.......it's common sense. 

• Greenie 2

2 minutes ago, Paul C said:

Everyone else has managed to stay on topic. You alone, "played the person not the ball". If you have something constructive to add to the debate, add it. If you can only make personal attacks, I will interpret this as an inability to debate properly (which might be seen as YOU not being as clever as you think you are). Its up to you, to choose what to post on the internet.

Ahhh. You are the forum police. You should have said you had joined up. It’s all clear now. 

1 minute ago, Paul C said:

Maybe its a generation gap thing?

This is probably quite true? Behavioural standards have definately declined in my lifetime, they continue in a downward spiral. Not giving a damn about others is now quite the norm. For instance, whilst sat earlier this week in a very busy hospital waiting room with many obviously ill people amongst those waiting we were all subject to a group of four people waffling on  noisily together as though they were in a pub for an evening out, and a 30 something bloke with a child on his lap, playing an awful loud game on his silly fone to keep the child quiet due to his parenting skills being such that he needed a phone!! The list is endless now in daily life where standards have crashed that effect other people.

• Greenie 4

7 minutes ago, Mad Harold said:

Perhaps a pair of earplugs (only a couple of quid off e bay) would help.

So everyone who likes a good night’s sleep should sleep with earplugs. Shame they will never hear the CO or smoke alarms, but never mind, the right to play loud music in public throughout the night is much more important.

• Greenie 2
  • Haha 1