Thames mooring question

paul9298

Featured Posts

I have 12.5 sq of Thames water frontage at Wraysbury near Windsor and Staines. Having recently bought the property Im wondering if Im allowed to

rent it out as a residential mooring or are there restrictions on residential mooring on this part of the Thames?

You can't rent it out as a residential mooring unless you have planning permission. That's the same wherever you are in the country. But you could rent it out as a non-residential mooring subject to whatever mooring infrastructure is already in place. Building new infrastructure may attract the attention of the EA as they have some jurisdiction on what you can put into the river. 

I used to rent a garden end mooring from a house owner in Wraysbury by the way. 

Edited by blackrose

You will have to notifgy the EA and pay a 'registration fee' - but it's not very onerous IIRC and amount for each pole hammered into the river bed and another for 'being there'.

The EA are quite heplful and friendly if approached in a sensible manner (!)

22 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

but it's not very onerous IIRC and amount for each pole hammered into the river bed and another for 'being there'.

The EA are quite heplful and friendly if approached in a sensible manner (!)

I think the accommodation licences for things like poles banged into the river are a bit on the steep side - I know someone who has to pay about twelve hundred quid a year for two, and someone else who has to pay about eight hundred because he built a pontoon which overhangs the river by about eighteen inches tapering to zero

EA are skint. They grab every penny they can, but, yes, they can be very helpful. Just don't let them smell a wallet with any cash in it...

2 hours ago, Bacchus said:

I think the accommodation licences for things like poles banged into the river are a bit on the steep side - I know someone who has to pay about twelve hundred quid a year for two, and someone else who has to pay about eight hundred because he built a pontoon which overhangs the river by about eighteen inches tapering to zero

EA are skint. They grab every penny they can, but, yes, they can be very helpful. Just don't let them smell a wallet with any cash in it...

They're trying to run EA as if it were a  business as directed by the TWA 2010. After all much of the River runs through locations where there's loadsa money - so why not take a slice....