Condensation - could it be?

Featured Posts

21 minutes ago, KellyLyon said:

regarding the PRV this is vented into the cabin bilge (this was confirmed at the time of fitting) the cabin bilge is totally sealed from the engine and all inspection points are dry within the living areas so it’s unlikely to be the prv as we would see water in the inspection point right next to the calorifie

Only a cretin would do that because with no plumbing or window leaks the accommodation bilge should rarely need any attention. With all the ballast there inhibiting drying out the last thing you want is the PRV venting water there. You need to sort that ASAP. Who confirmed it vented into the accommodation bilge?

• Greenie 1

Can I propose a complex and highly technical diagnostic technique? 

If you are able, start with a dry bilge. Line as much of the area as you can with newspaper - Telegraph or Times are best - at least a couple of sheets thick. Leave - no need to sit and watch. If the problem/leak recurs you will end up with an obvious damp patch. That should give you a start on localising your problem. If you suspect a vertical surface, masking tape a sweet into position. If it's a confined space, stuff crumpled paper into position.

Good luck.

17 minutes ago, Tony Brooks said:

Ah well, that may well explain it - Cue Tracy.

OK, I will take the bait.

Its wrong, very wrong. There may be no ballast where it discharges but the cabin bilge should never be used as a dump for water. Perieod, no excuses, and the contracting company, RCR know that.

I will not have them on my boats. And I have had boats a long time, managed without their suspect services and continue to do so.

Get it piped somewhere sensible, the rear bilge where the bilge pump is, overboard through a high skin fitting, into the shower tray even. You have to be able to see and be aware of any discharge.

Edited by Tracy D'arth

1 minute ago, rusty69 said:

Hey, why didn't I get a ^^^ This ^^^? I mentioned the PRV in my very first post.

Not that it appears to be the problem at the moment.

I'll give you one   ^^^This^^^.   There, better?   🌼   😉

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, rusty69 said:

Start with the obvious things like calorifier PRV (where does it exit) etc.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS THIS THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Needs to exit somewhere visible, where the OP would notice it discharging. 

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, KellyLyon said:

the water accumulated over the course of a week and we hoovered out about 10-20ltrs since hoovering that out we hoovered 8 litres but it had rained heavily

It's not as simple as a cruiser stern with inadequate gutters/downpipes spilling rainwater into the engine bay is it? Lots of them do. 

I might have missed the stern type in your description. 

Well it might be rainwater then. It tends to discolour once it's been sitting in the bilges for a while. 

I've got a cruiser stern on my widebeam and rainwater used to get down there because the gutters are crap. I solved it with a giant rubber mat.

IMG_20210802_080202.jpg

Edited by blackrose

3 hours ago, Opener said:

If you suspect a vertical surface, masking tape a sweet into position. If it's a confined space, stuff crumpled paper into position.

Good luck.

Any particular type? Toffee bon bon, wine gum etc... 🤣😂

Seriously, I think you meant to tape a sheet of newspaper to the vertical surface.

1 hour ago, cuthound said:

Any particular type? Toffee bon bon, wine gum etc... 🤣😂

Seriously, I think you meant to tape a sheet of newspaper to the vertical surface.

Strangely, I noticed that error, but couldn't find an 'edit' option this time.

Decided just to leave it to provide pedants such as myself a source of gentle amusement. Worked, didnnitt?

18 minutes ago, Opener said:

Strangely, I noticed that error, but couldn't find an 'edit' option this time.

Decided just to leave it to provide pedants such as myself a source of gentle amusement. Worked, didnnitt?

Yes, irritatingly the edit option is only there for one hour after you post.

I thought it might have been your autocorrect mangling your post, it does on many of mine.