pulling out mooring pins

XLD

Featured Posts

Just now, Alan de Enfield said:

I thought it was just me that happened to.

I get this with spelling and grammar errors too. 

I write a perfect post, then the exact instant I press the "SUBMIT" button a whole host of errors leap into it, seemingly from nowhere....

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, MtB said:

I get this with spelling and grammar errors too. 

I write a perfect post, then the exact instant I press the "SUBMIT" button a whole host of errors leap into it, seemingly from nowhere....

Maybe somebody's hacked your custom dictionary file and filled it with gibberish... 😉

Just leave them behind for someone else to pull out without any problem.

If you can't pull a mooring pin, how do you manage to boat?

Pulling them up by the rope is a sure fire way of smacking one into your teeth or even a delicate body area.

3 hours ago, MtB said:

Another approach is to wait until another boat approaches, then yell and scream at them to 'go faster'. 

Speeding boats always pull out mooring pins, apparently. Should do the job a treat for you.

Hope that helps...

Yer butt Nick cant be every where coming to the rescue.🤣 

• Love 1
  • Haha 1

On 28/07/2022 at 10:13, Higgs said:

Easy, portable pocket handy help, for all your mooring pin pulling upper needs. 

Hoist.jpg.19d1c3a0d82b0a4efdd84a3e29a51efe.jpg

Actually the ram on this device is exactly what I was thinking. Put a Tee bar through the bottom eye, to stop it sinking into the ground, place ram parallel to the pin, attach the top of the pin to the ram rod and pump away.👍

• Happy 1

I put a windlass handle through the pin eye up to the 90 degree bend.  Holding the two bits forming a "V", twist and pull and the pin will easily come out. The twisting of the pin is the key to releasing from the ground.  Works for me every time.

3 minutes ago, Flyboy said:

I put a windlass handle through the pin eye up to the 90 degree bend.  Holding the two bits forming a "V", twist and pull and the pin will easily come out. The twisting of the pin is the key to releasing from the ground.  Works for me every time.

That’s a good call, I like the idea, but it does mean bending low. 
But I guess if they come out easy enough after the twisty motion it ain’t no strain. 

Mind you, I usually bang the pins in till the heads are probably too low to put a windlass through, hence the pulling up with the rope. 

If you've driven your stakes in correctly (i.e at an angle) I'm not sure a vertical pull is that great an idea for either the bank or your stake anyway.

Far simpler to get some hexagonal pins with an eye in (I use ex MOD ground anchor pins) so when you want to remove them just shove another in the eye and twist - the fact they are hex profiled means the enlarge the hole in the ground much more effectively than twisting a round pin.

Example of what I'm on about here: https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/british-army-ground-anchor-plate-pins-165883002

and you're really worried about coming adrift, go the whole hog and buy 8 plus the anchor plate!

4 minutes ago, Rose Narrowboats said:

If you've driven your stakes in correctly (i.e at an angle) I'm not sure a vertical pull is that great an idea for either the bank or your stake anyway.

No, I’d always pull to the same angle I’ve put me stake in. 

Those pins look like the dog’s. 
👍

5 minutes ago, Goliath said:

No, I’d always pull to the same angle I’ve put me stake in. 

Those pins look like the dog’s. 
👍

Apologies Goiath, the angle comment was aimed at the OP as most contraptions (up to and including the engine crane :)) are likely to end up pulling vertically,

The stakes are brilliant - and very tough. I'd owned some for recovery purposes for years before it dawned on me to put some on the boat as well.

• Happy 1

14 minutes ago, Rose Narrowboats said:

Apologies Goiath, the angle comment was aimed at the OP as most contraptions (up to and including the engine crane :)) are likely to end up pulling vertically,

The stakes are brilliant - and very tough. I'd owned some for recovery purposes for years before it dawned on me to put some on the boat as well.

Us army pins is what I use. Can be dropped behind the Armco. No bending down in the grass and dog sh*t.

they were another 12 inches long but were too long to handle.

image.jpg

image.jpg

1 hour ago, Rose Narrowboats said:

I've got 3 of those ones 3ft long. I never use the smaller ones anymore. But when they're hammered right in I wouldn't say they were easy to get out of the ground. 

Edited by blackrose

• 2 weeks later...

I loosen mine a little by banging the mooring pin in various directions with the mallet and then use one of these bale hooks to pull them out. Mine is all steel and more heavy duty than the one in this photo though. With the wide handle you can use both hands and really get some purchase on them.

image.jpeg.6ae289018864444b922ff2ac55cc877f.jpeg

57 minutes ago, Grassman said:

I loosen mine a little by banging the mooring pin in various directions with the mallet and then use one of these bale hooks to pull them out. Mine is all steel and more heavy duty than the one in this photo though. With the wide handle you can use both hands and really get some purchase on them.

image.jpeg.6ae289018864444b922ff2ac55cc877f.jpeg

I occasionally use a nappy pin in the same way.