Stiff steel sliding hatches maintenance

Featured Posts

Hello, 

We've just got a new boat with 3 different roof hatches, all steel, and the runners are steel too. The hatch above the engine room seems to be on 2 little wheels, but the other 2 hatches need to be lifted up and over the curve of the roof and then slid back. It's basically just steel grinding against steel. I find this extremely heavy and difficult to do, in fact I can't shift one of them at all. Only my partner can with a hell of a lot of effort. 

Just wondering what we can do to make life easier? Thinking about greasing the runners but of course this will attract dirt and won't solve the problem in the long run. I found a sort of plastic tape that I wondered about sticking along the runner. 

Has anyone else had this problem? 

Rubbing a candle along the runners can help. Provides some lubrication that won't attract dirt as badly as grease will. Also better for clothes, if you lean on them. I've used bicycle chain dry lube, which is basically candle wax in a fluid carrier.

21 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

It is common to screw/bolt a Nylon strip onto the 'boat side' runners so that the hatch runners slide along a 'slipperly'plastic.

Nylon is good. HDPE is better and cheaper. Almost as low friction as PTFE, but that is much more expensive.

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies
  • Greenie 1

36 minutes ago, Hudds Lad said:

WD40 do an anti-friction dry ptfe spray, squirt on a rag, rub it on and wipe off excess with a clean cloth.

image.png.c78db07abf0b0d8db9b496f700d194c6.png

Thats what i have been using fir some years. Just used the last of the can, so I'll be calling at Halfords for another.

Be careful. My hatch goes from being a bit stiff, to almost frictionless. It can take you by surprise.

• Greenie 1

15 hours ago, Hudds Lad said:

WD40 do an anti-friction dry ptfe spray, squirt on a rag, rub it on and wipe off excess with a clean cloth.

image.png.c78db07abf0b0d8db9b496f700d194c6.png

I used to use candle wax until I discovered PTFE lubricant.it is an order of magnitude better than candle wax.

As @Richard10002 says, once lubricated with PTFE take care opening it.

• Greenie 1