Fitting a 1.5 to a 1.8

Lifeboat Elsie May

Featured Posts

Hi Folks,

I'm selling my fully restored BMC 1500D with its PRM 100 box to a chap who has a kaput BMC 1.8 with the same box. So the question is, do you think the mounts etc will line up. 

Due to the complexities of inheritance tax my father says he would pay for a new engine, and I'm probably going to buy a new Beta 30. I know it will not fit the engine beds, but Beta do make special order fitting plates.

8 hours ago, Lifeboat Elsie May said:

Hi Folks,

I'm selling my fully restored BMC 1500D with its PRM 100 box to a chap who has a kaput BMC 1.8 with the same box. So the question is, do you think the mounts etc will line up. 

Due to the complexities of inheritance tax my father says he would pay for a new engine, and I'm probably going to buy a new Beta 30. I know it will not fit the engine beds, but Beta do make special order fitting plates.

More modern 1.5s used very different rear engine mounts to the old ones and if yours has the old cast iron flywheel housing with the big holes for the mounts to fit through it may not be straight forward. Those mounts seem to now be unobtainable. So many people marinised the 1.5 the front mounting system might also be different but probably less trouble to fit.

My advice is to send him photos and dimensions and tell him to decide for himself.

Look at a new Canaline engine, they are the same layout as the 1.5 and 1.8. Exhaust, hoses etc. are on the same sides.

They drop straight on to 1.8 mounts and fit 1.5 with raising blocks under.

A Beta will involve cutting and shutting the mounting points.

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, MtB said:

This is a coincidence, Liquid Molly's lifeboat was called Elsie May, too! 

I think it is a re-incarnation of the lifeboat bodger Liquid Molly, too ashamed to use his old handle. We shall see how it goes, interesting.

I tried to help him last time but he has some very odd ideas.

4 hours ago, MtB said:

This is a coincidence, Liquid Molly's lifeboat was called Elsie May, too! 

If it is the same engine then we know it has non-standard rear mounts and no Metalastic rear mount inserts so no way will mount straight onto 1.8 beds.

If it is Molly, I wonder why he is selling his perfectly restored (sic) engine?  Perhaps he has been chucked off the pub car park with his orange horror lifeboat.

I wonder if it has the correct oil in it..............................

Didn't his engine have an odd gearbox attached too?

1 minute ago, Tracy D'arth said:

If it is Molly, I wonder why he is selling his perfectly restored (sic) engine?  Perhaps he has been chucked off the pub car park with his orange horror lifeboat.

I wonder if it has the correct oil in it..............................

Didn't his engine have an odd gearbox attached too?

No, just an old PRM hydraulic but the proper rear mounts were not in use and there were extra brackets bolted to the adaptor plate bolts (I think) to sit further back on the beds.

• Happy 1