Colditz would be easier

Midnight

Featured Posts

Escape from Yorkshire is proving harder than escape from Colditz with uncertainties in every direction. All Pennine routes are out despite the recent rain. We set off yesterday in the hope that we may get onto the Trent, but no progress on the railway bridge at Keadby. I tried ringing Network Rail but 4 rings then 5 minutes of piped music before giving up. Coming up to Castleford Junction shortly do we chance Keadby or go up to Skipton (are Forge Locks open yet?) and wait for rain?

Still nice to see so many blue signs around the Calder & Hebble Locks even though many have only one paddle working.
"The scale of our works will increase to unprecedented levels" - Richard Parry November 2021

I think even Pat Reid would be struggling with this one.

16 minutes ago, Midnight said:

Escape from Yorkshire is proving harder than escape from Colditz with uncertainties in every direction. All Pennine routes are out despite the recent rain. We set off yesterday in the hope that we may get onto the Trent, but no progress on the railway bridge at Keadby. I tried ringing Network Rail but 4 rings then 5 minutes of piped music before giving up. Coming up to Castleford Junction shortly do we chance Keadby or go up to Skipton (are Forge Locks open yet?) and wait for rain?

Still nice to see so many blue signs around the Calder & Hebble Locks even though many have only one paddle working.
"The scale of our works will increase to unprecedented levels" - Richard Parry November 2021

Getting back into Colditz might be even harder if it don’t rain soon. Should have fitted wheel when you was in the dry dock.🤭😬

23 minutes ago, Midnight said:

Forge Lock open, I've the opposite dilemma, in that I'm currently pointing east, next stop Lemonroyd! Not sure if you are aware of the Sanitary Situation ahead?

PS  Leeds M&S proved to be my favourite visitor attraction, followed by the Armouries Museum, and others. It's a bit noisy at night, but OK 

Edited by LadyG

28 minutes ago, Midnight said:

You have gone the wrong way 😀, though your decision was understandable. The Rochdale is open though passage over the summit is a bit limited and you might have to wait a day or two.  The recent rain did not do much, I suspect its all just soaked into the ground.  However its school holidays so I would not fancy the run down through Newton Heath so waiting for the railway bridge is probably the best option.

1 hour ago, Midnight said:

Update from CRT yesterday says Keadby is available again for two passages per day, I assume you get the notices so are you not trusting enough of it to turn up and find out?

2 hours ago, Midnight said:

Don't go Lad.You may not get back before Chrismas!

There are still a few places you can go and if you are stopped, most are a short bus ride home.

Brighouse Sur La Mer, Dewsbury Riviera,Aspley Wharf Resort  Castleford by Weir,and Fanly Serry where you can admire new lock gates.

All these places are within easy reach of (some) quite decent pubs, 

• Greenie 1

25 minutes ago, Mad Harold said:

Don't go Lad.You may not get back before Chrismas!

There are still a few places you can go and if you are stopped, most are a short bus ride home.

Brighouse Sur La Mer, Dewsbury Riviera,Aspley Wharf Resort  Castleford by Weir,and Fanly Serry where you can admire new lock gates.

All these places are within easy reach of (some) quite decent pubs, 

Life's better by a little water than none at all. 💦💦👍

7 hours ago, dmr said:

You have gone the wrong way 😀, though your decision was understandable. The Rochdale is open though passage over the summit is a bit limited and you might have to wait a day or two.  The recent rain did not do much, I suspect its all just soaked into the ground.  However its school holidays so I would not fancy the run down through Newton Heath so waiting for the railway bridge is probably the best option.

Had enough of the Rochdale to last me a few years. I did consider it but the boss she say noooo!

7 hours ago, LadyG said:

Forge Lock open, I've the opposite dilemma, in that I'm currently pointing east, next stop Lemonroyd! Not sure if you are aware of the Sanitary Situation ahead?

PS  Leeds M&S proved to be my favourite visitor attraction, followed by the Armouries Museum, and others. It's a bit noisy at night, but OK 

As far as I know its still accessible to visitors, if not Castleford is open.

28 minutes ago, Midnight said:

Had enough of the Rochdale to last me a few years. I did consider it but the boss she say noooo!

It will get better, I am working on a plan, have the design concept done, just need to raise some funding. Essential its two giant inclined planes, one goes from Littleborough down to the top of Slattocks, the other from the bottom of Slattocks down to New Islington. There is an optional tunnel to bypass the Rochdale 9 but thats harder to do. 😀

I have to say, every post I read about Yorkshire makes me less inclined than ever to go boating up there.

I can't be the only one being put off more and more on a daily basis, which is deeply counter-productive given the need I also hear about for more boats

If it turned into a boat every four minutes like down here, maybe CRT would find the money to maintain it better....

1 hour ago, MtB said:

I have to say, every post I read about Yorkshire makes me less inclined than ever to go boating up there.

I can't be the only one being put off more and more on a daily basis, which is deeply counter-productive given the need I also hear about for more boats

If it turned into a boat every four minutes like down here, maybe CRT would find the money to maintain it better....

but hold on,  the T&M is closed, the Oxford is restricted, the Ashby is too low for deeper boats to navigate, the K&A is restriced, and none of these have the excuse of going over a serious hill 😀

The Macc and Peak Forest are also more or less shut though these might be regarded as Northern (but not Yorkshire) Canals (is Harecastle the official North-South divide on the canal system?). Also the Rochdale in Yorkshire is mostly ok, its problems start exactly at the Yorkshire/Lancashire border 😀

1 hour ago, MtB said:

You have to just say f””” it and go. 
There is always a way up there

And you will get there if you’re determined and have all the time to do it. 
You have to have the will power. 

But it does become a tedious task and a bore dealing with endless stoppages and lack of water. 
The rewards for doing it are fantastic. 
But it becomes ffs, why!!!! why does it have to be so bloody hard!!

11 hours ago, Midnight said:

https://canalrivertrust.org.uk/notices/22775-keadby-rail-drawbridge-restricted-passage-times

but not tomorrow.....

13 hours ago, Midnight said:

I, we, whoever, do the tidal Trent every year or few and have just found and joined 'Trentlink - Safe Navigation of the Tidal River Trent' on Facebook. Frequent updates, sometimes several a day, and in the last few, ongoing updates on the Vazon rail bridge across the Stainforth & Keadby Canal, including a boat who was told it was closed and turned up and they opened it!

Worth a look. Everyone else I've mentioned it too, including old Trent hands, have joined up straight away.

• Greenie 3

On 26/07/2022 at 10:12, Midnight said:

Escape from Yorkshire is proving harder than escape from Colditz with uncertainties in every direction.

You're missing the point - it's not to keep folk in, it's to keep t'others out! ;)

20 hours ago, JamesWoolcock said:

I, we, whoever, do the tidal Trent every year or few and have just found and joined 'Trentlink - Safe Navigation of the Tidal River Trent' on Facebook. Frequent updates, sometimes several a day, and in the last few, ongoing updates on the Vazon rail bridge across the Stainforth & Keadby Canal, including a boat who was told it was closed and turned up and they opened it!

Worth a look. Everyone else I've mentioned it too, including old Trent hands, have joined up straight away.

Second that…very useful info…and chap behind it has the ear of CRT and they are listening too…well worth joining the group. 

• Greenie 1