Marine Twin Trumpet Horns - make them quieter?

Featured Posts

You could experiment with a sponge cut into a small circle to fit into the horn.....if that makes them too quiet then cut the circles into 'D' shapes to allow a bit more of the sound out. High end speakers use an arrangement like this, and often come with a circular piece of sponge/foam to insert into the rear subwoofer channel to reduce bass if required. 

Edited to add: You can even buy the speaker foam off ebay with removable centres https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/143872319790?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=B2vVKEkITJK&sssrc=2047675&ssuid=DxlPIgDkRra&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Edited by booke23

I'd keep your horns unmodified. Might be useful to have a 115dB horn to sound under certain circumstances (coming out of a canal arm blind for example).

Wire in a standard diaphragm (motor) horn for day to day use. If you purchase a small automotive 12v relay, the louder horn can be added to the motor horn circuit and actuated by a thin cable running to a small switch at the helm. Gives you a choice of *Beep* I'm here! or ##Thwarppp##📯💥!! GET OUT THE BLOODY WAY !!💥📯

Fit a hospital silencer so you can creep up on people before giving them a good blast. This may be the one instance where I would prefer an electric boat.

So much fun to be had 😀

Seriously though-they are bludy useful things at noisy, blind bridges, bends etc. Hard to claim you didnt hear it.

• Haha 1

The original horn on my boat is stupidly quiet, you can barely hear it from the helm.

I fitted a rechargeable (with the supplied hand pump) horn. The first time I used it to warn others of my presence on the blind approach to a bridge, the dog jumped put of his skin and the boat waiting on the other side said "oh, it's a boat, I thought it would be a bloody express train!.. 🤣😂

Edited by cuthound
To unmangle the effects of autocorrect.
  • Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, cuthound said:

The original horn on my boat is stupidly quiet, you can barely hear it from the helm.

I fitted a rechargeable (with the supplied hand pump) horn. The first time I used it to warn others of my presence on the blind approach to a bridge, the dog jumped put of his skin and the boat waiting on the other side said "oh, it's a boat, I thought it would be a bloody express train!.. 🤣😂

Lol, puts me in mind of my mate deciding to shave off his beard one day. When he came out of the bathroom freshly shaven after years of having a big shaggy beard, the kids screamed and ran away, his wife burst into tears and the dog bit him! 

• Haha 1

That looks identical to the one I bought recently, each horn unscrews, do that and shove some cotton wool pads in, screw it back in and put more cotton wool pads into the end, shoved down with the end of a wooden spoon, I think mine took about 10 each side. Much quieter.  I tried, like you when I first bought it and nearly burst my eardrums!