What’s the history of this building.

Nightwatch

Featured Posts

Just now, Nightwatch said:

Passed this building many a time over the years. But never really known the history of it. Photo is a copy of Peter Scott’s collection from Tonic thread.

Stupid boy!!

This 1880's map shows no road access, which suggests it is a canal building. The low building on the right in the photo (left on the map) looks like stables, presumably for tow horses. I'd suggest the main building is a toll house for the Oxford canal. The short bit of Oxford Canal between Braunston and Napton that boats taking what is now the Grand Union have to use was a big earner for them.

The modern OS 1:25,000 map shows a track from a road giving vehicle access now.

braustonturn.png.db19bbf7eea9e70d37cea82c328cf235.png

Jen

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies

19 minutes ago, Stroudwater1 said:

One of the elevations has 1903 on it 

5B0F9A54-5CA0-4733-A28B-277E719E2CF1.jpeg

Interesting. My first though when I saw the picture was that it had been altered and extended. Possibly more than once, to suit changing circumstances. The difference in window opening sizes between the central core and side wings, for example. Smaller often means older, as glass dropped in price over time.

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies

Yes I think you are right, the picture I took is from the canal and Peters shows the same window configuration at the other wing so the central part is older with 2 wings added in presumably 1903. 

The windows are definitely different in the centre section but difficult to match to the map 

I have always understood it to be the Toll House between the old Grand Junction Canal and the Oxford Canal. similar to the  building at Napton Junction, now known as Wigrams, which was the Toll House between the Oxford Canal and the old Warwick and Napton Canal.

29 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

I have always understood it to be the Toll House between the old Grand Junction Canal and the Oxford Canal.

But all three arms at the junction are on the Oxford Canal. The junction with the Grand Junction was at what is now the entrance to Braunston Marina. The Stop House here may have served as a toll office for the GJC.

2 hours ago, David Mack said:

But all three arms at the junction are on the Oxford Canal. The junction with the Grand Junction was at what is now the entrance to Braunston Marina. The Stop House here may have served as a toll office for the GJC.

Did the stretch between the stop house and the new junction, remain with the Oxford canal, after it was realigned in the 1830's? All the later maps show it as part of the Grand Junction.  The stop house was almost certainly the toll office, before the re alignment, but what other purpose would the new, building on the junction serve? perhaps trade was so heavy that two toll offices were required, There also appear to be stable buildings at the junction which could have accomodated exchange horses.

In the 1881 and 1891 censuses the original toll office by the narrows is listed as the Oxford Canal Company offices and is occupied by Thomas E Cope and family. However Mr Cope is listed as a "Wharfinger on the Oxford Canal" and not as a toll collector.

His son Harold Frances Cope later became a toll collector at Calcutt top lock and interestingly not at Wiggerham's, which by 1939 appears to have been occupied by Alfred Neal a non-canal worker but also Harry Cope's brother-in-law.

Edited by Captain Pegg
  • Greenie 2

The original course of the Oxford Canal as stated went through what is now the termibus boatyard, with the Oxford Canal straightenings of the early 1830;'s leading to the creation of the triangular junction spanned by the iron bridges, It was also my understanding that this was a toll house and more suited to the traffic on the straightened line.

Edited by Heartland

When we lived in Braunston in the 70s Tommy Johnson the lock keeper lived in that house and I always thought it was possibly a lengthmans house as it would have been built after the route was altered. 

9 minutes ago, Dav and Pen said:

When we lived in Braunston in the 70s Tommy Johnson the lock keeper lived in that house and I always thought it was possibly a lengthmans house as it would have been built after the route was altered. 

Possibly, but it is of quite generous proportions for a lengthman's house.

1 hour ago, Captain Pegg said:

In the 1881 and 1891 censuses the original toll office by the narrows is listed as the Oxford Canal Company offices and is occupied by Thomas E Cope and family. However Mr Cope is listed as a "Wharfinger on the Oxford Canal" and not as a toll collector.

His son Harold Frances Cope later became a toll collector at Calcutt top lock and interestingly not at Wiggerham's, which by 1939 appears to have been occupied by Alfred Neal a non-canal worker but also Harry Cope's brother-in-law.

A lot more info on Wiggerham's here:-  https://static1.squarespace.com/static/564a5d6be4b0da3c3b0864c4/t/565f77eee4b052d551489625/1449097198382/Wigrams+History.pdf

Edited by David Schweizer

Interesting that the 1885 map shows the house being there and the gable end in the photo has a 1900 date brick built in. Possibly it was 2 houses at one time. It never had official road access when we were there but I often drove across the field to see Tommy,who was also responsible for the paddles on the puddle bank that controlled the level.

• Greenie 1

50 minutes ago, Heartland said:

The original course of the Oxford Canal as stated went through what is now the termibus boatyard, with the Oxford Canal straightenings of the early 1830;'s leading to the creation of the triangular junction spanned by the iron bridges, It was also my understanding that this was a toll house and more suited to the traffic on the straightened line.

OxfordpreGJ377.jpg

GUOpened376.jpg

41 minutes ago, David Schweizer said:

Possibly, but it is of quite generous proportions for a lengthman's house.

1 minute ago, Dav and Pen said:

Possibly it was 2 houses at one time.

I wondered about the size too. Perhaps more than one dwelling originally. There would be jobs there for working with the stabled horses as well as toll collecting.

3 hours ago, Rose Narrowboats said:

There is a flood paddle and weir just the other side of the turnover bridge

Swerving off at a tangent, I think it's an ordinary bridge rather than a turnover bridge.

But it's an interesting and possibly unique bridge for a different reason. It's a double bridge with a wall down the centre. So boaters and walkers, horses etc can cross from one side of the canal to the other, and at the same time the bridge is an accommodation bridge for the farmer whose livestock can also pass from one side to the other without mixing with towpath traffic or escaping onto the towpath.

I've never noticed a canal bridge like this anywhere else, but maybe there are loads. 

• Greenie 1