Having solar installed.

David J Smith

Featured Posts

Morning all. Can anyone recommend a company that will come to our narrowboat and install a complete solar charging system please?

I know that people will say that its easy to DIY. But I don't have the know how with electrial stuff. Plus i don't see too good nowadays.  I am ok with fitting whatever type of panels and cables on/into the boat.  We will be near Daventry in a few weeks. So, perhaps someone in that area could be good.

Thanks David.

" Run by the sun" are Midlands based so might be worth a try. I found them very helpful and knowledgeable and they sent me everything to install my own. Prices were competitive too. 

Also helped me with my house installation too.

http://www.runbythesun.co.uk/about/

Edited by jonathanA
Add url

Ed Shiers came out to our boat last year to do a repairs on our traveller. He was excellent, and also very reasonable. From his web site I understand he only does rigid solar panels. Now I am sure they are the most efficient option, but from an aesthetic point of view, we opted for a flexible panel installation last winter. 
The Paint Shed, Anderton, installed them. Not local to the OP I know but very neat installation. Our 2x100 watt flexible panels more than meet our needs for our summer cruising. Moored up for three to four days at a time without the need to run the engine for battery charging. However I suspect we are relatively low power users with the fridge being being our main power consumer.

10 minutes ago, Derek Porteous said:

Ed Shiers came out to our boat last year to do a repairs on our traveller. He was excellent, and also very reasonable. From his web site I understand he only does rigid solar panels. Now I am sure they are the most efficient option, but from an aesthetic point of view, we opted for a flexible panel installation last winter. 
The Paint Shed, Anderton, installed them. Not local to the OP I know but very neat installation. Our 2x100 watt flexible panels more than meet our needs for our summer cruising. Moored up for three to four days at a time without the need to run the engine for battery charging. However I suspect we are relatively low power users with the fridge being being our main power consumer.

Hi. Thanks everone for your replies. Would you have a number for Ed Shiers, Or Matty smith please? 

9 hours ago, Quattrodave said:

Do it your self, it's not difficult and you'll know the system inside out so of you need to do any fault finding later it'll be easy...

I'd love to fit them myself. But like I said "I don't see to well". Also being nearly seventy. I don't think I would be flexible enough to go down into the engine room. Thanks anyway. Dave

9 hours ago, jonathanA said:

" Run by the sun" are Midlands based so might be worth a try. I found them very helpful and knowledgeable and they sent me everything to install my own. Prices were competitive too. 

Also helped me with my house installation too.

http://www.runbythesun.co.uk/about/

Thanks very much. I've sent them an email. Cheers Dave

1 hour ago, Richard T said:

Matty Smith at Stowe Hill is good with solar installations

Is that Stowe hill, as in near rugby boats? Thanks Dave

11 hours ago, Rob-M said:

Phone

07922 163072

Email

fourcountiesmarineservices@gmail.com

Ed did some work for me, so I can recommend him but it's best to text him. 

I had my solar panel supplied and installed by Tom Malone again excellent service and recommended.

On 25/07/2022 at 09:43, Idle Days said:

Ed did some work for me, so I can recommend him but it's best to text him. 

I had my solar panel supplied and installed by Tom Malone again excellent service and recommended.

Hi Dave. Thanks for recommending Tom for our Solar instalation. He is all booked in to do the install in September. He was very gratefull that you gave us his name. Cheers Dave and Diane. N/B Tickerty Boo.

boat.jpg

• Greenie 1