Gas generator

Sanddancer

Featured Posts

6 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

As a Calor gas reseller, our buy price is now £99 and we have been told to expect £140 before the end of Summer.

I'm guessing that as we are only a small caravan park large resellers will be getting some good discounts.

Smiths of Axford are probably the largest retailer of Calor gas for miles around here.

Back in about March this year I paid them £68 for a 47kg refill, delivered.

https://www.smithsofaxford.co.uk/calor.htm

24 minutes ago, MtB said:

Have you seen the price of gas refills now?! 

Although having just checked, a 47kg refill of propane is 'only' £88 at Smiths of Axford. I was expecting a whole lot more. 

Cheap as chips at less than £2 per kg.

Campingaz 907 butane  refill £36 for 2.9kg of gas. Which is £12 per kg.

9 minutes ago, MtB said:

Smiths of Axford are probably the largest retailer of Calor gas for miles around here.

Back in about March this year I paid them £68 for a 47kg refill, delivered.

https://www.smithsofaxford.co.uk/calor.htm

I wonder if there is a limit to their delivery distance !!

"We stock and deliver the full range of Calor gas cylinders. All prices include VAT and delivery".

50 minutes ago, Bargebuilder said:

That's 14p per kWh: I might bin my electric stove at home and cook on propane.

We do, the commercial kitchen we had was run on Propane but we have a big tank in the back garden rather than a load of cylinders lined up on the wall. The tank works out cheaper per Kwh than buying cylinders (even the 47kg ones)

When the tank gets down to 20% it automatically calls Calor (other suppliers are available) they deliver it (fill to 80%) and you never even know they have been until you get the invoice the following month.

Living in 'the wilds' there are many properties that have 'gas tanks' in the garden.

20211008-102624.jpg

Edited by Alan de Enfield

22 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Living in 'the wilds' there are many properties that have 'gas tanks' in the garden.

We too live in a rural village with no mains gas. We don't currently use propane, but the house opposite has a propane bulk cylinder buried under the front lawn, so the delivery driver lifts a small plastic hatch cover and fills it from there; very discreet.

10 hours ago, Bargebuilder said:

We too live in a rural village with no mains gas. We don't currently use propane, but the house opposite has a propane bulk cylinder buried under the front lawn, so the delivery driver lifts a small plastic hatch cover and fills it from there; very discreet.

We considered having a 'buried' tank but they have to be maintained, inspected and certified annually (at huge expense, by a licenced tank inspection company) and, if they are not, then you do not get refilled.

We decided it was simpler just to have a concrete pad, and the driver does a walkaround "inspection" each delivery.

Who knows what the future holds for LPG ?

9 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

We considered having a 'buried' tank but they have to be maintained, inspected and certified annually (at huge expense, by a licenced tank inspection company) and, if they are not, then you do not get refilled.

We decided it was simpler just to have a concrete pad, and the driver does a walkaround "inspection" each delivery.

Who knows what the future holds for LPG ?

I wonder how they inspect an underground tank that's partly full of propane. No wonder it's expensive!

58 minutes ago, Bargebuilder said:

I wonder how they inspect an underground tank that's partly full of propane. No wonder it's expensive!

They have miniature inspectors with respirators like the C&RT miniature paddle fixers who work under the yellow bags.

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

We do, the commercial kitchen we had was run on Propane but we have a big tank in the back garden rather than a load of cylinders lined up on the wall. The tank works out cheaper per Kwh than buying cylinders (even the 47kg ones)

When the tank gets down to 20% it automatically calls Calor (other suppliers are available) they deliver it (fill to 80%) and you never even know they have been until you get the invoice the following month.

20211008-102624.jpg

Looks dangerous. 
I’d have thought the tank would have to be further from your dwelling 🤷‍♀️ 

14 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

No its, about 25/30 metres away from our dwelling, the 'man that does' lives in the shed.

You have a man that does?  Excellent. But you make him live in a shed next to a propane bomb?