CRT training vlockies today, wrongly

LadyG

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Goliath said:

I think 3 too. 
3 and a bicycle. 
Single locks anyway. 

Possibly 4 or 5 for wider locks 🤷‍♀️,

For some reason this gave me a vision of an F1 pit crew operating the locks for you... 🤣😂

• Happy 2

3 hours ago, Goliath said:

I think 3 too. 
3 and a bicycle. 
Single locks anyway. 

Possibly 4 or 5 for wider locks 🤷‍♀️,

Only if you insist on opening both gates otherwise it is generally even quicker with 3 in narrow locks

Edited by Mike Todd

On 23/07/2022 at 07:48, nicknorman said:

Worse things happen at sea. (c.MM)  Or on the Thames, where with several boats in the lock, lock keeper opened the paddles and then immediately walked off site and down the road to see a mate for 5 mins, came back to open the gates. Of course all boat crew were on their boats as per EA instructions. Ok it’s pretty unlikely that something would go wrong, but…

Reminds me of an incident coming down Bray Lock when a narrowboat alongside us got hung up on something and was in danger of capsizing. Much shouting and hooting got the keeper out of his cabin who managed to save the situation but leaving a boat full of broken crockery a general mess and a very distressed lady.

On the subject of lock keepers I always found Peter Svendsen at Hambledon Lock professional, welcoming and resplendent in his uniform. 

At the other extreme was the keeper at Bell Weir Lock who was unwelcoming and a bit gung ho with the paddles.  Once coming through when his relief was on I mentioned that it was nice to get a greeting.  Apparently he hated narrowboats 'he must like gin palaces then' but no 'he hates them as well'!  

16 minutes ago, MPR said:

Reminds me of an incident coming down Bray Lock when a narrowboat alongside us got hung up on something and was in danger of capsizing. Much shouting and hooting got the keeper out of his cabin who managed to save the situation but leaving a boat full of broken crockery a general mess and a very distressed lady.

On the subject of lock keepers I always found Peter Svendsen at Hambledon Lock professional, welcoming and resplendent in his uniform. 

At the other extreme was the keeper at Bell Weir Lock who was unwelcoming and a bit gung ho with the paddles.  Once coming through when his relief was on I mentioned that it was nice to get a greeting.  Apparently he hated narrowboats 'he must like gin palaces then' but no 'he hates them as well'!  

We hung up in Keady Lock. The bow rope caught on a chain that was on the bollard. Lockie couldn't see us from his cabin. We were right underneath him.

As I reached into the bow locker for the knife to cut the bow rope, Liam managed to hail the lockie on the VHF to stop the lock. He managed to free the rope and we dropped with quite a splash back into the water.

Unfortunately the 3 narrboats behind us thought the lock was empty, let go of ropes and then panicked when they realised we still had several feet to drop on the lock.

Took a while to get everyone sorted out again.

Had a brilliant run down Hatton today. It was our first time on this flight. Himself went ahead and set each lock. Paired up with another boat of 4 so lots of help with the gates. In and out of every lock together and we cleared the flight in 2hrs 25. I'm sure it could be done quicker but it was an absolute pleasure and I think we all enjoyed every minute of it.

• Greenie 1

Just now, MrsM said:

Had a brilliant run down Hatton today. It was our first time on this flight. Himself went ahead and set each lock. Paired up with another boat of 4 so lots of help with the gates. In and out of every lock together and we cleared the flight in 2hrs 25. I'm sure it could be done quicker but it was an absolute pleasure and I think we all enjoyed every minute of it.

No volockies involvement then! It’s the best way…I’m sure I’m now in a black book there after I had a full discussion about how the paddle gear is designed to self lower….now they hide in the hut which suits me just fine! 

2 minutes ago, frangar said:

No volockies involvement then! It’s the best way…I’m sure I’m now in a black book there after I had a full discussion about how the paddle gear is designed to self lower….now they hide in the hut which suits me just fine! 

Not a vlockie to be seen. We only had one pair and a single boater coming up. A great day.

5 minutes ago, MrsM said:

We are heading that way, probably be going up Hatton late Tuesday or early Wednesday with the aim of avoiding any volockies.

1 hour ago, frangar said:

When we last came down Hatton, there were quite a number of paddles where "self lowering" would result in the paddle crashing shut with an almighty bang. Case for preventative maintenance! 

4 minutes ago, Iain_S said:

When we last came down Hatton, there were quite a number of paddles where "self lowering" would result in the paddle crashing shut with an almighty bang. Case for preventative maintenance! 

No, they're 90 years old. Just wind them down. It's not hard.

ETA - actually you don't really have to wind them down, just restrain them.

Edited by Captain Pegg

10 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

No, they're 90 years old. Just wind them down. It's not hard.

ETA - actually you don't really have to wind them down, just restrain them.

I pointed out that some actual maintenance might result in proper operation but CRT seem more keen on blue signs than a oil can and replacing the rubber buffers…..I have also mentioned this to the higher echelons of CRT

8 minutes ago, frangar said:

I pointed out that some actual maintenance might result in proper operation but CRT seem more keen on blue signs than a oil can and replacing the rubber buffers…..I have also mentioned this to the higher echelons of CRT

If we were all rocking up with a pair loaded with 50 tonnes of steel bar for Sampson Road then I'd be with you, but we're not and different economics call for different intervention limits. They work, so work them.

Edited by Captain Pegg

5 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

If we were all rocking up with a pair loaded with 50 tonnes of steel bar for Sampson Road then I'd be with you, but we're not and different economics call for different intervention limits. They work, so work them.

I think we might have to disagree on this. There is more chance of them running away if lowered with a windlass…I’ve seen it happen…the person didn’t appreciate how they worked…lost grip on the windlass and just missed being hit. 

Following your reason why bother with gate paddles?…why not just have one paddle at each end?? 

I prefer to boat as intended. 

4 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Isn't that CRTs master plan, 4 paddles out on Curdworth and two on Minworth

Of course. Much less wear & tear if boats just look nice for people to jog & cycle past…in fact they can just be 2D cut outs as no need to provide enough water for them to float on….in fact they are trialing this on the T & M at present….

Edited by frangar

I think we might have to disagree on this. There is more chance of them running away if lowered with a windlass…I’ve seen it happen…the person didn’t appreciate how they worked…lost grip on the windlass and just missed being hit. 

Following your reason why bother with gate paddles?…why not just have one paddle at each end?? 

I prefer to boat as intended. 

The paddle will run away 100% of the time if it's just left to drop by releasing the locking thingy as designed so how can there be more change of it running away if a windlass slips off?

I often wind down gate paddles for similar reasons although they can be restrained far more easily than the Ham Baker gear which I wouldn't put my hands anywhere near.

If you really boated as intended you wouldn't be lowering the paddles on exiting at all, and I presume you don't drop all paddles.

7 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

The paddle will run away 100% of the time if it's just left to drop by releasing the locking thingy as designed so how can there be more change of it running away if a windlass slips off?

I often wind down gate paddles for similar reasons although they can be restrained far more easily than the Ham Baker gear which I wouldn't put my hands anywhere near.

If you really boated as intended you wouldn't be lowering the paddles on exiting at all, and I presume you don't drop all paddles.

The Ham Baker paddles don’t all drop heavily if left to self lower…and I have stopped those that have with my hand with no issue. I also often use my hand when lowering conventional gear be that gate or ground….maybe you have delicate skin? 

If the windlass isn’t on the ham baker gear when it’s being lowered then it can’t slip or fly off….as I said if the gear was maintained as intended then there would be no issue…but CRT seem incapable of actually doing so…and won’t bother if people make excuses for them. 

Edited by frangar

The Ham Baker paddles don’t all drop heavily if left to self lower…and I have stopped those that have with my hand with no issue. I also often use my hand when lowering conventional gear be that gate or ground….maybe you have delicate skin? 

If the windlass isn’t on the ham baker gear when it’s being lowered then it can’t slip or fly off….as I said if the gear was maintained as intended then there would be no issue…but CRT seem incapable of actually doing so…and won’t bother if people make excuses for them. 

Good for you but I wouldn't try and catch a running away Ham Baker spindle with my hand, and given I'd have a tool specifically designed for the job in my other hand I'd think it pretty stupid not to have used it in the first place.

I don't see it as an excuse, if the paddle performs it's function I see no problem in urgent need of solving. Paddles that don't function are a different issue.

2 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

Good for you but I wouldn't try and catch a running away Ham Baker spindle with my hand, and given I'd have a tool specifically designed for the job in my other hand I'd think it pretty stupid not to have used it in the first place.

I don't see it as an excuse, if the paddle performs it's function I see no problem in urgent need of solving. Paddles that don't function are a different issue.

But in the case of Ham Baker gear there are some that aren’t performing as intended….if you let that become the norm then another part of industrial history is lost…and so the decline hastens. 

As I said we have to differ on this it seems. 

• Greenie 1

8 hours ago, cuthound said:

For some reason this gave me a vision of an F1 pit crew operating the locks for you... 🤣😂

Well if you’ve got the right crew, and if you’re steering and do a bit too, then yea, that's just what it’s like. 

😃

straight on,

full steam ahead

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, frangar said:

But in the case of Ham Baker gear there are some that aren’t performing as intended….if you let that become the norm then another part of industrial history is lost…and so the decline hastens. 

As I said we have to differ on this it seems. 

I don't think they are all in a one way decline, they get repaired eventually. It's about the point of intervention. Dropping those that don't function as designed will hasten it, which may be OK depending on your point of view but realistically it means something else equally critical but less avoidable gets delayed. Canals never will - and probably never have had - the means to keep all of their infrastructure in it's designed state.

On 23/07/2022 at 00:41, LadyG said:

Under NO circumstances should an operator stand with their back to the lock and wind down the paddle.

Under no circumstances should the operator not communicate with the boater before operating the lock.

The boater is in charge of the operation NOT some guy who has decided to volunteer, however well meaning, they should be trained to understand this from day 1 lock 1.

I agree with the first two but surely the lock keeper should be in charge.

Regardless of whether the lock keeper is paid or a volunteer the level of competency should be the same. 

If no competent lock keeper is available it would be best to leave the lock operation to the boater.