Restricted opening times for Thames Locks

Dave123

Featured Posts

Restrictions soon to start on Thames locks from Pinkhill to Abingdon if there isn't more rain (which there isn't going to be...)

Screenshot_20220722-124358_Adobe Acrobat.jpg

Assume they meant to include Osney. And doesn't yet make it clear if they will be manned the whole time from 9am to 6 or if it will be haphazard midweek depending on lock keepers other duties...needs to be done though.

It's not that many years ago (I've been boating for too long....)  that water restrictions on The River were a regular occurrence and those that enjoyed 'working the system' as it was akin to what you have to do on the canals anyway.

Provided 'they' don't lock the headgear and gates, thos that enjoy working the system - as you do on the canals - its pleasant to just work along at your own pace.

The 'proper' locks with the  beatifully balanced beams and wheeled sluices are a delight - especially if the lock is just 'you' and perhaps another boat who know what they are doing.

That was 5-10 years ago mebe - and was taken as normal.

Now its a panic and we'll all die of dehydration.....

49 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

It's not that many years ago (I've been boating for too long....)  that water restrictions on The River were a regular occurrence and those that enjoyed 'working the system' as it was akin to what you have to do on the canals anyway.

Provided 'they' don't lock the headgear and gates, thos that enjoy working the system - as you do on the canals - its pleasant to just work along at your own pace.

The 'proper' locks with the  beatifully balanced beams and wheeled sluices are a delight - especially if the lock is just 'you' and perhaps another boat who know what they are doing.

That was 5-10 years ago mebe - and was taken as normal.

Now its a panic and we'll all die of dehydration.....

Locking the head gear and gates is exactly what the EA are going to do on the Thames, to prevent people working along at their own pace and instead make them wait and share with as many boats as possible. I don't recall this happening in the last 12 years since I've been boating, and the lock keepers couldn't either...they didn't even know exactly how it would all work. It is absurd that a single canoe can pen through something as huge as Sandford lock!

4 minutes ago, Dave123 said:

Locking the head gear and gates is exactly what the EA are going to do on the Thames, to prevent people working along at their own pace and instead make them wait and share with as many boats as possible. I don't recall this happening in the last 12 years since I've been boating, and the lock keepers couldn't either...they didn't even know exactly how it would all work. It is absurd that a single canoe can pen through something as huge as Sandford lock!

But the canoe has to have paid his licence to use the lock. In the old days when uncovered craft did not need a licence to use the Thames they could not use the locks

44 minutes ago, Tonka said:

But the canoe has to have paid his licence to use the lock. In the old days when uncovered craft did not need a licence to use the Thames they could not use the locks

Dont they get the Thames with the Canoe Union membership 

11 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Dont they get the Thames with the Canoe Union membership 

Yes they do get it with their British Canoe Union, Welsh Canoe Association & Scottish Canoe Association memberships 

11 hours ago, Dave123 said:

I meant it was absurd because of the volume of water used given we are in a drought; whether they have paid or not wasn't my point. 

But a small cruiser uses the same amount.

Back in the old days we had a cruiser. When we got a dinghy if you towed it through a lock then it had to be licensed and have "tender to (name of boat)" on it. But if you had the dinghy out of the water I.e on davits or on the roof then you didn't need a licence or the name. Somewhere the rules changed and every un powered craft needs a licence

Edited by Tonka

The Thames 'licence' is not a licence - it's a registration fee that just gives you permission to be there. You cab pass through unlicencensed and the EA can't stop you.

BUT the EA can sue you for not being registered, though its an expensive process for them to recover the debt.

Daft - but there you go.

3 minutes ago, OldGoat said:

The Thames 'licence' is not a licence - it's a registration fee that just gives you permission to be there. You cab pass through unlicencensed and the EA can't stop you.

BUT the EA can sue you for not being registered, though its an expensive process for them to recover the debt.

Daft - but there you go.

Sorry but I think you are incorrect. If it is a registration then every craft would need its own unique number or name. The dinghies that are used by people living on Garrick Ait at Hampton (as an example) all have dinghies but no name or number displayed but they have a licence plate.

Even landing stages now have licence plates attached to them

13 minutes ago, Tonka said:

Sorry but I think you are incorrect. If it is a registration then every craft would need its own unique number or name. The dinghies that are used by people living on Garrick Ait at Hampton (as an example) all have dinghies but no name or number displayed but they have a licence plate.

Yes, everything fixed, floating, swiming in or in the River needs a licence. Something to do with a muddy field within sight of the M25 and a group of revolting Barons....

39 minutes ago, Tonka said:

Every boat on the Thames does have a unique name and it is a registration not a licence. That's why you can see things ike 

Nauti Cal, Nauty Cal  and Naughty Cal three boats with different names.

10 minutes ago, Loddon said:

Every boat on the Thames does have a unique name and it is a registration not a licence. That's why you can see things ike 

Nauti Cal, Nauty Cal  and Naughty Cal three boats with different names.

Can you prove those names please

2 hours ago, Tonka said:

Can you prove those names please

They were examples of what has to happen not actual boats.

Some others maybe suitable for you

Idiot 2

Idiot Too

Idiot Two

Three different boats 🤔

it is still a registration for powered craft not a licence.

from the link below, note the lack of the word licence 🤭

This page sets out the requirements for obtaining a boat registration. The Environment Agency takes enforcement action if it finds any boat moored or in use if it is not displaying a current, valid registration plate.

All boats kept or used on the river must be registered.

If you have a boat and you keep it afloat and/or use it on the River Thames, you need to register it, even if you do not use it. This requirement extends to every part of the non-tidal River Thames between Cricklade Bridge and Teddington Lock, and the short section of the tidal River Thames between Teddington Lock and the Port of London Authority’s boundary, including backwaters and marinas.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/river-thames-boat-registration-requirements/river-thames-boat-regsitration-requirements-october-2016

Edited by Loddon

16 minutes ago, Loddon said:

They were examples of what has to happen not actual boats.

Some others maybe suitable for you

Idiot 2

Idiot Too

Idiot Two

Three different boats 🤔

it is still a registration for powered craft not a licence.

from the link below, note the lack of the word licence 🤭

This page sets out the requirements for obtaining a boat registration. The Environment Agency takes enforcement action if it finds any boat moored or in use if it is not displaying a current, valid registration plate.

All boats kept or used on the river must be registered.

If you have a boat and you keep it afloat and/or use it on the River Thames, you need to register it, even if you do not use it. This requirement extends to every part of the non-tidal River Thames between Cricklade Bridge and Teddington Lock, and the short section of the tidal River Thames between Teddington Lock and the Port of London Authority’s boundary, including backwaters and marinas.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/river-thames-boat-registration-requirements/river-thames-boat-regsitration-requirements-october-2016

That info is not current as canoe union licences are no longer stickers but cards that you carry.

Those idiotic names would not be allowed as they sound too similar. 

Get the proper facts before implying I am an idiot again

Surprised it's changed since December 2021 when that page was updated.

Is it a licence for powered craft now or still a registration?

The canoe club might refer to it as a licence but it's not it's a registration.

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/environment-agency-waterways-application-for-an-annual-or-short-term-registration-of-an-unpowered-open-boat

Help me I'm starting to sound like TD🤭

Edited by Loddon

Membership of the national canoe organisation (who now seem to be called British Canoeing) gives access to all navigable CRT, EA waters and a lot of smaller navigation authorities as well.

They call it a licence, probably because it is easier and more concise, quite possibly the small print of the membership document may refer to it as a registration in reference to the Thames and rivers.

1 minute ago, Dave123 said:

Canoes can and should be made to portage at the moment, or the river will be shut completely before Autumn

Some locks have canoe weirs but you cannot use them during low water. Some still have rollers. But how do expect a Canadian canoe full of camping gear to get around. I know they do trollies, we have one for ours. And if a canoe came along with boats can it not share the lock

1 hour ago, Tonka said:

Some locks have canoe weirs but you cannot use them during low water. Some still have rollers. But how do expect a Canadian canoe full of camping gear to get around. I know they do trollies, we have one for ours. And if a canoe came along with boats can it not share the lock

I canoed a significant length of the Thames about 12 years ago in a canadian canoe with camping gear, where there were rollers i used them, I shared locks with motorboats, and on at least one occasion I went through a lock with just canoes at least one of those was also loaded with camping gear.

I do remember approaching a lock on my own and the lockies seemed more than willing to let me through on my own, I chose to use the rollers.

20 hours ago, Tonka said:

Obviously if the boat really cannot be portaged then it can't be portaged. Anything that can be clearly should be! Sadly the general public are largely oblivious of things such as saving water and what the weather has even been for the last year. Mentioned the dry weather and low flows to several boaters whilst sharing locks recently and most hadn't a clue