Looking for gas engineer Banbury.

Featured Posts

Since that very hot two days Mon/Tue our gas regulator appears to have thrown a wobbler and I can smell gas in the locker. There’s hardly any gas getting through to the hob so we’ve switched everything off. One full tank and one in use..We intend arriving Banbury today so some recommendations please.

5 minutes ago, jeanb said:

Since that very hot two days Mon/Tue our gas regulator appears to have thrown a wobbler and I can smell gas in the locker. There’s hardly any gas getting through to the hob so we’ve switched everything off. One full tank and one in use..We intend arriving Banbury today so some recommendations please.

You don't need a 'gas engineer' to change a regulator.

Just buy a replacement reg (ensure it is the same 'size - kgs) and fit it DIY

Another possibility is a flexible hose going porous. They have a manufacturing date printed on them and should be replaced after five years. Again, a DIY job and the hose will likely be available from anywhere selling LPG.

If you really want a gas fitter doing this and no one here comes up with a recommendation, then the gas safe register can be searched for location and appliance.

Search Banbury, Domestic and filter results for LPG and select "Pipework Boats LPG (Core)" as the appliance, which should restrict it to people who are qualified for boat LPG work. .Double check their qualifications on their card. It must list both LPG and boats.

Jen

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies

45 minutes ago, jeanb said:

Had same thing recently, easy job to swap out the regulator. I took the opportunity to swap out an automatic switch over regulator to a manual switch over which I find to be better for me.

Last regulator and hose lasted 16 years which I hadn't realised until I read the new install instructions was way over the official date for replacement.

Symptoms were exactly the same as your experiencing.

Edit to add that full kit including hoses and fittings was circa £90 from Midland Chandlers. Similar kits available on Amazon for £84 +

Edit again to add

Just remembered that you will need some

Gas Thread Sealing PTFE Tape

which is the yellow stuff. Just a few pence

Edited by reg

15 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Another possibility is a flexible hose going porous. They have a manufacturing date printed on them and should be replaced after five years. Again, a DIY job and the hose will likely be available from anywhere selling LPG.

If you really want a gas fitter doing this and no one here comes up with a recommendation, then the gas safe register can be searched for location and appliance.

Search Banbury, Domestic and filter results for LPG and select "Pipework Boats LPG (Core)" as the appliance, which should restrict it to people who are qualified for boat LPG work. .Double check their qualifications on their card. It must list both LPG and boats.

Jen

All correct but for one peripheral point.

Unless the OP is a liveaboard, there is no obligation for them to use a Gas Safe Registered engineer. Any ol' Tom Dick or Harry can do it legally provided they are competent.

• Greenie 2