Dutch barge style narrowboats

Featured Posts

thankyou. yes always dreamt of a dutch barge, someone once told me that by the time you get your third boat you will know what works for you, and this will be the third one I will live on, cannot wait to be sat in the wheel house looking out over the fields by my mooring in rugby or cruising chatting to folk on the towpath again. whilst reaching the point of saying bucket and chuck it when asked for the umpteenth time in one day about toilets by gongozzlers

• Greenie 1

44 minutes ago, Owls Den said:

I’m a fan of the Dutch style.

In the process of renovating a Dutch style narrow boat.

Good luck with it. Hopefully you can post some pics of the design/ build!

thank you, I will defo be sharing pics on the build, may even a video or tik tok too, updates will be on disabledboaters facebook group. At present start date is 29th of this month, but we all know what canal time is like

6 minutes ago, designbywhacky said:

thank you, I will defo be sharing pics on the build, may even a video or tik tok too, updates will be on disabledboaters facebook group. At present start date is 29th of this month, but we all know what canal time is like

Just be warned that any build which is the slightest bit unconventional is likely to attract far more negative comments on CWDF than positive ones, mainly from people who think it's basically a sin to do anything different to the the way it used to be done -- especially if any modern technology is involved... 😉

• Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, designbywhacky said:

Thanks for warning, hopefully I can counter some of the negativity and perhaps turn that around once the build starts at Reeves who are  longstanding and well respected boat builders

Good luck with that -- but going by experience, I'm afraid you'll find that using a well respected hull/boat builder offers little protection from dinosaur attack, especially if you have a bow thruster fitted... 😉

Edited by IanD

Bowthruster?

Hells teeth you can't be serious.

I suppose you're going to say they are looking at 'really good' sticky downy solar panels as well.

This is going to get ripped to pieces by people who sadly, for them, have opinions.

• Greenie 1

10 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Bowthruster?

Hells teeth you can't be serious.

I suppose you're going to say they are looking at 'really good' sticky downy solar panels as well.

This is going to get ripped to pieces by people who sadly, for them, have opinions.

*And* a reverse layout with an extended bow cabin, that's always popular. At least the wheelchair lift should be OK, assuming it's steam powered... 😉

2 hours ago, Tony Brooks said:

I get a bit fed up with the "traditionalists" who come out with things like a particular design does not look right. What matters is what it looks like in your eyes, even if you are bothered, and how it works for you. Best of luck with the build, and I hope it all works out as you think it will.

Are they the same traditionalists who think that a tall cratch and plasticky cratch cover look right? I suppose at least it's not as bad as a mahoosive pram hood... 😉

Edited by IanD

Aesthetics are just a matter of opinion.

Everyone has a different view and all views are tolerated even if anyone who thinks a pram hood is a Good Idea is basically wrong.

It's alright to be wrong. Nobody died from being wrong. You just have to accept that a pram hood on a canal boat is a basic wrong thing and move on.

29 minutes ago, IanD said:

Just be warned that any build which is the slightest bit unconventional is likely to attract far more negative comments on CWDF than positive ones, mainly from people who think it's basically a sin to do anything different to the the way it used to be done -- especially if any modern technology is involved... 😉

Might get away without criticism of wide walkways, as there is a historic precedent.

image.png.34cb8ad09efa18a8653602116be03f28.png

9 minutes ago, alias said:

Might get away without criticism of wide walkways, as there is a historic precedent.

image.png.34cb8ad09efa18a8653602116be03f28.png

Wide walkways on a Dutch-style boat look good, so long as you don't mind the interior on a narrowboat being even narrower than normal... 😉

Or you could get more width by having no gunwales at all and vertical sides, like this... 😉

timeoflife.jpg

Edited by IanD

That's Jim Macdonald's old boat. I've been in that boat it was actually quite pleasant. Very classy interior helps with these sorts of things.

interesting approach because it actually has an almost full width cabin in the sitting down part then a full height cabin in the walking around part.

Effectively a mollycroft roof which is a very useful way to deal with the space restrictions presented by a narrow beam canal boat.

A "Dutch barge style" narrow boat will never be able to achieve this outcome because the gunnels are at or slightly above the normal height for a narrow boat. Elizabeth is a different animal altogether.

• Greenie 2

1 hour ago, designbywhacky said:

Chuck a few pics on here too please! I would be interested to see as I’m not on social media anymore.

And as mentioned ignore the haters. There is a steady stream of them but the knowledge found/given on here usually outshines the little trolls!

31 minutes ago, IanD said:

Wide walkways on a Dutch-style boat look good, so long as you don't mind the interior on a narrowboat being even narrower than normal... 😉

Or you could get more width by having no gunwales at all and vertical sides, like this... 😉

timeoflife.jpg

Not sure if this one is narrow but if it is there will be problems at bridges on narrow canals.

There are things that can be done within the design envelope and things which will make the boat unusable.

13 minutes ago, magnetman said:

Not sure if this one is narrow but if it is there will be problems at bridges on narrow canals.

There are things that can be done within the design envelope and things which will make the boat unusable.

Hence the smiley... 😉

9 minutes ago, designbywhacky said:

lol steam powered, I hear trevor the steam boat is up for sale. But next year other half may well be building a steam boat. so battening down the hatches to go tinker with bow thruster whilst await enslaught.

Love steam boats but they don't half get through a shedload of fuel, as I'm sure @DHutch will testify... 😉

9 minutes ago, IanD said:

Love steam boats but they don't half get through a shedload of fuel, as I'm sure @DHutch will testify... 😉

He has been building steam trains of the rid on variety for 5inch and 7 1/4 inch all his live so this is right up his alley so to say, thought getting suitable coal now is a pain, and gonna get worse due to welsh assembly not extending local mines licence so coal imported.

20 minutes ago, designbywhacky said:

He has been building steam trains of the rid on variety for 5inch and 7 1/4 inch all his live so this is right up his alley so to say, thought getting suitable coal now is a pain, and gonna get worse due to welsh assembly not extending local mines licence so coal imported.

It's not just getting hold of it that's the problem, it's the sheer amount that steam engines consume -- especially including firing up at the start of the day and running the fire down at the end...

2 hours ago, IanD said:

It's not just getting hold of it that's the problem, it's the sheer amount that steam engines consume -- especially including firing up at the start of the day and running the fire down at the end...

The steam yacht Gondola on Coniston changed from coal to compressed sawdust logs some years ago.

I noticed SL Alaska which is to be seen on the Thames around Marlow was burning wood briquettes last year. 

I was idly gliding around in my electric canoe and became quite disconcerted that there wasn't a trail of wonderful smelling smoke behind the boat. 

I suppose some people dislike the smell of coal smoke but I love it ! 

6 hours ago, designbywhacky said:

Thanks for warning, hopefully I can counter some of the negativity and perhaps turn that around once the build starts at Reeves who are  longstanding and well respected boat builders

I hope it goes well. We chose Reeves in 2006 to build a Dutch barge style widebeam to our own design. It wasn’t something they had done before and there were a few frustrations along the way for both sides… but they did a brilliant job and we are still delighted with the result. I’m not sure which of the brothers are still involved in the company now. 

9 minutes ago, Thames Bhaji said:

I hope it goes well. We chose Reeves in 2006 to build a Dutch barge style widebeam to our own design. It wasn’t something they had done before and there were a few frustrations along the way for both sides… but they did a brilliant job and we are still delighted with the result. I’m not sure which of the brothers are still involved in the company now. 

Both still involved and the dad will also be involved due to experience we know of tickety boo  a narrow beam dutch barge that they built, is yours the one in  your profile pic