Continuous cruiser male seeks female boating companion

LJM

Featured Posts

Hello. 

Male narrowboat owner living onboard full-time seeks female boating companion for excursions of up to four weeks travel at a time. 

Excursion times of year and routes to be discussed. 

No experience necessary, although you must be someone who is content with living a simplistic lifestyle, away from all mod cons and social media.

Please message with any questions, and when you can start.

Lincoln 

9 hours ago, Lincoln Mansfield said:

Hello. 

Male narrowboat owner living onboard full-time seeks female boating companion for excursions of up to four weeks travel at a time. 

No experience necessary, although you must be someone who is content with living a simplistic lifestyle, away from all mod cons and social media.

Lincoln 

Best of luck with that.I have always boated alone, and although cruising during the day was fine, the evenings were rather lonely.

Once met a lady on the towpath who was on a walking holiday and showed great interest in boating and the canald.Gave her a lift on the boat and once shown how to operate locks, she was most helpful and although only small, she was as strong as a horse.

It was enjoyable for me to have someone to talk to, and to have help with the locks.

If you find a suitable companion, ask her if she has a friend for me.😃

• Greenie 2
  • Happy 1
  • Haha 1

One of my first boating encounters was with a guy who had, sadly, lost his wife, she used to do the locks etc , driving the car so he could do his boating, seemed a bit of a compromise to me, but he was looking for a replacement!

Edited by LadyG

16 minutes ago, LadyG said:

One of my first boating encounters was with a guy who had, sadly, lost his wife, she used to do the locks etc , driving the car so he could do his boating, seemed a bit of a compromise to me, but he was looking for a replacement!

That does seem a bit of a compromise. I guess it is relevant to each individuals/couples circumstances.... I've sold my vehicle and bricks & mortar, so pretty free!

Edited by Lincoln Mansfield
Forgot to include 'quote' to my reply.
  • Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Mad Harold said:

Best of luck with that.I have always boated alone, and although cruising during the day was fine, the evenings were rather lonely.

Once met a lady on the towpath who was on a walking holiday and showed great interest in boating and the canald.Gave her a lift on the boat and once shown how to operate locks, she was most helpful and although only small, she was as strong as a horse.

It was enjoyable for me to have someone to talk to, and to have help with the locks.

If you find a suitable companion, ask her if she has a friend for me.😃

Thank you for your good luck wishes.... I follow your point re daytime cruising being fine. Totally agree..... there is so much to see and take in, and the occasional walker and fellow boaters to have a brief chat to while boating. 

The evening allows for plenty of time to relax and reflect upon the day. Again agreed, it would also be lovely to chat with a companion too.

Perhaps I'll meet a female boater who would like to travel together, onboard our own boats, who'd also enjoy some companionship.... or a female who'd like to join me on my narrowboat for holiday excursions. 

I have met several female boaters in passing..... so thought to ask the question. 

8 minutes ago, Lincoln Mansfield said:

I have met several female boaters in passing..... so thought to ask the question. 

There are quite a few about. Most that I know say they get a continuous stream of offers from the large numbers of 50-something recently divorced/separated solo bloke boaters on the cut, and fending them all off is a bigger problem than loneliness in the evenings!

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, MtB said:

There are quite a few about. Most that I know say they get a continuous stream of offers from the large numbers of 50-something recently divorced/separated solo bloke boaters on the cut, and fending them all off is a bigger problem than loneliness in the evenings!

That all sounds quite unpleasant. Each individuals situation is unique, but in my mind one needs to be happy with oneself, and not in need of anyone to fill a void from a recent divorce/separation. It just puts too much pressure on you and the other person. Get yourself to a happy content place prior to exploring possibilities. 

Not sure if seeking periodical companionship amounts to the same thing as loneliness. Individuals who have many friends/family in their lives can still be lonely, unfortunately!

I'm sure there are plenty of women and men that would be really up for this but I doubt that CWDF is the best place to find them. It's almost worth a separate site - matching people with a taste for adventure/experiences with those with a spare bunk and a willingness to share their space with a stranger. A bit like Spare Room but for boats/campervans etc.

If anyone does this I would of course expect royalties 😄

Edited by MrsM

38 minutes ago, MrsM said:

I'm sure there are plenty of women and men that would be really up for this but I doubt that CWDF is the best place to find them. It's almost worth a separate site - matching people with a taste for adventure/experiences with those with a spare bunk and a willingness to share their space with a stranger. A bit like Spare Room but for boats/campervans etc.

If anyone does this I would of course expect royalties 😄

MrsM, that's a brilliant idea 💡 👏

It would be cool to have a website/app of this nature....

• Happy 1

14 hours ago, Lincoln Mansfield said:

Hello. 

Lincoln 

Genuine question:  why does it have to be a female? 

3 hours ago, MtB said:

Weep, not had a continuous stream of eligible partners, so far. 

I'm not willing to test your theory, that might be the problem, in my (limited) experience, I'm better off, financially and emotionally than that rare female, a single , tolerant, single boater.

Evenings are foreshortened these days, having forsaken the single malt, 

I find I can spend three hours doing things that I once spent thirty minutes, so twenty four productive hours is equivalent to one productive hour, and twenty three pottering.

Edited by LadyG

16 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

Thank you for your questions:

During my adult life I worked 15 years in a predominantly male environment (building site & warehouse), followed by 20 years working in a predominantly female environment (house-husband [wife/4x school children] & care assistant). 

It became evident that I get along and have better friendships with females. This might be purely down to the work, my age etc..... but I enjoy female company far more than male company. 

58 minutes ago, Lincoln Mansfield said:

Thank you for your questions:

During my adult life I worked 15 years in a predominantly male environment (building site & warehouse), followed by 20 years working in a predominantly female environment (house-husband [wife/4x school children] & care assistant). 

It became evident that I get along and have better friendships with females. This might be purely down to the work, my age etc..... but I enjoy female company far more than male company. 

I have to agree.I too get along better with females having spent most of my working life as a musician and teacher.

Blokes can be a real pain. They fart, snore, have smelly feet,are aggresive, don't change their underwear very often, and go to the loo when it's their round.

Being a bloke, I know this to be true.😰

• Haha 1
  • Horror 1

2 hours ago, Mad Harold said:

I have to agree.I too get along better with females having spent most of my working life as a musician and teacher.

Blokes can be a real pain. They fart, snore, have smelly feet,are aggresive, don't change their underwear very often, and go to the loo when it's their round.

Being a bloke, I know this to be true.😰

I've met quite a few wimmins that match that description.

I likes a challenge.😁

• Unimpressed 1

29 minutes ago, Goliath said:

There was a boater who advertised on a blackboard next to the boat for a female companion. 

I gather it did work. 
It’s going back nearly 10 year. 

That may be the way for the OP. 

I think I'd go for a more subtle approach, sit out on a camping chair, wearing smartest shorts and shirt, ie not the normal scruffy boater style, no knotted hanky on head or string vest, obviously.

A few flowers on the roof or in the well deck could prove a good investment.

• Greenie 1

When I am king this sort of thing will be illegal.  Only partnerships formed after due consideration of the qualities of each of the couple concerned by their respective dogs, and approval given, will be allowed.  

While I am here, can I also advertise for a female partner?  Must have a boat as I've sold mine.  Please send picture of the boat.

• Happy 1
  • Haha 1

36 minutes ago, Goliath said:

There was a boater who advertised on a blackboard next to the boat for a female companion. 

I gather it did work. 

I think an updated version of this would fit in with @MrsMand her idea of a platform for matchmaking on the cut. A simple phone app. Granted those somewhat tech compromised oldies would need to search elsewhere. Welcome to Boaters' Blackboard, swiping left or right with the board eraser maybe. Or one way a smooth swish and puff of chalk dust, another way fingernails raking down the board?

Will you easel me into dating again, it's years since I faffed with any of this...

• Happy 2

26 minutes ago, system 4-50 said:

When I am king this sort of thing will be illegal.  Only partnerships formed after due consideration of the qualities of each of the couple concerned by their respective dogs, and approval given, will be allowed.  

While I am here, can I also advertise for a female partner?  Must have a boat as I've sold mine.  Please send picture of the boat.

Good point - the OP never mentioned age, or any kind of physical or activity preferences etc. For example, does she need to have O-levels? A-levels???

15 minutes ago, Paul C said:

Good point - the OP never mentioned age, or any kind of physical or activity preferences etc. For example, does she need to have O-levels? A-levels???

Nor whether the relevant gender is that of birth or that of self-determination. 

• Haha 3

12 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

For the same reason that the gay guy who posted recently wanted a male cruising companion perhaps? There's nothing wrong with specifying the desired gender of ones companions as long as it's the same for everyone. 

Edited by blackrose

11 hours ago, LadyG said:

I think I'd go for a more subtle approach, sit out on a camping chair, wearing smartest shorts and shirt, ie not the normal scruffy boater style, no knotted hanky on head or string vest, obviously.

Or a big pile of £50 notes would quickly attract a certain kind of person…….

• Horror 1

10 minutes ago, Chewbacka said:

A few flowers on the roof

🌻💐🌷✔️😉😃

11 hours ago, LadyG said:

🌻💐🌷😉😃

13 hours ago, Goliath said:

I gather it did work. 

That would work if the boat was a good boat. But if the boat is tatty