Thunder and lightning

GUMPY

Featured Posts

5 hours ago, Hudds Lad said:

Hope the bloke on the North Oxford with the mahoosive radio mast knows, it was like Holme Moss transmitter strapped to a boat :D 

Could have been worse, could have been like Emley Moor 😉

9 hours ago, IanD said:

Could have been worse, could have been like Emley Moor 😉

Which one? To be fair i didn’t really look as we drove past it on way to the M1 at the weekend, so not 100% sure the temp mast is still up. Probably is though at the speed any repair gets done these days.

2 hours ago, Hudds Lad said:

Which one? To be fair i didn’t really look as we drove past it on way to the M1 at the weekend, so not 100% sure the temp mast is still up. Probably is though at the speed any repair gets done these days.

The thousand foot tall tapered reinforced concrete one... 😉

Edited by IanD

Is the steel mast beside Emley Moor temporary?

I passed within visible distance (on a train over Wakefield viaduct) at lunchtime and recalling this thread wondered initially if Holme Moss and Emley Moor were adjacent to one another.

26 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

Is the steel mast beside Emley Moor temporary?

I passed within visible distance (on a train over Wakefield viaduct) at lunchtime and recalling this thread wondered initially if Holme Moss and Emley Moor were adjacent to one another.

Its supposed to be a temp one whilst they repair and update the original mast, but it seems to have been up for years now. I guess good ‘ol covid may have delayed things further, plus sometimes jobs become bigger once you start them and uncover things that were unknown (the joys of old houses :D)

Just done a quick Google, it was started in 2018 and expected to take five years to complete the work, it’s on schedule and is soon to be completed. The new work however has caused it to now be 8m shorter, and so below the Eiffel Tower in the tallness rankings :( but still the tallest in the UK

• Greenie 1

7 minutes ago, DShK said:

Even without a mast I feel quite vulnerable in a storm! Certainly makes me take my washing line in...

My grandmother use to put all the knives and forks in the draw so they didn't attract the lightning 

• Haha 1

Reading the Beezer comic in the 1950's. The back cover page had unusual happenings on it. One was an instance of a lady that opened her back and front doors during thunder storms, to let any lightening escape she thought. Well a lightening ball entered her back door following the draught to the front door, setting the house on fire on the way, flew out into the street, hit a fire alarm standard, smashed the glass and alerted the fire brigade, all by itself. That was clever of it.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

My grandmother use to put all the knives and forks in the draw so they didn't attract the lightning 

My grandmother went around covering all the mirrors in the house.

1 hour ago, bizzard said:

Reading the Beezer comic in the 1950's. The back cover page had unusual happenings on it. One was an instance of a lady that opened her back and front doors during thunder storms, to let any lightening escape she thought. Well a lightening ball entered her back door following the draught to the front door, setting the house on fire on the way, flew out into the street, hit a fire alarm standard, smashed the glass and alerted the fire brigade, all by itself. That was clever of it.

Ah now THAT is one of my minor life ambitions, to see a fireball, or ball lightning. 

I am totally unconvinced it exists except in the imagination of us human beans. Has anyone here seen it for real? 

5 minutes ago, MtB said:

Ah now THAT is one of my minor life ambitions, to see a fireball, or ball lightning. 

I am totally unconvinced it exists except in the imagination of us human beans. Has anyone here seen it for real? 

I have heard the story first hand and seen the irrefutable evidence of so called ball lightening entering a house. 

12 minutes ago, MtB said:

I do believe in fireball, having met a lady who lived in a croft house opposite a wooded hillside.

When she was young a fireball started at the top of the hill opposite, their father got them all under the table, it went down the hill and over the top of the cottage. Considerably reduced as it had to cross a fiord. Fifty years later one could see the path which had taken out half a mile length and more than fifty foot wide. The trees were all natural, not a plantation. 

Edited by LadyG

15 minutes ago, MtB said:

I've seen two. From my bedroom window and from my classroom window at school.' they whirl about and burst with a huge bang. I also used to sail a Fireball dinghy.

29 minutes ago, MtB said:

I am not convinced we are talking about the same but as a child I had an experience with my mother.   We were watching the storm from an upstairs bedroom window, a ball of light entered the room between us, across the room, across the landing and out through the other bedroom window.  There was no feeling of heat and the windows were shut.

1 hour ago, MtB said:

I've seen it - quite why they made us play football in weather like that I do not know. It was fascinating.

• Greenie 1

I didn't google it like IanD probably did.  I've been up to the top viewing platform of the Telecom tower twice. Incredible view. The lifts are a bit frightening especially coming down, feels like it just drops with wind rushing past and you go all lightweight almost of your feet. It's closed to the pubic now.