Place to float boat between Garstang and Nottingham

Spudwynk

Featured Posts

We put an offer in 9n our first boat today and it was accepted. They want a quick sale so need to move quickly. We have done a few hires but still feel fair,y novice znd will probably take ownership before we get chance to do the Rya helmsman course. The boat is currently on the Lancaster canal and we're not confident enough do the ribble link. We're therefore going to move the boat by lorry. We understand the cost to transport is oartly based on distance travelled and our final destination is Nottingham. Can anyone recommend a good place and the ability,to refloat iit? We're happy to spend a week sailing it to Nottingham and canal planner currently says 12 days at 7hrs a day from where it is now.

7 hours ago, Spudwynk said:

We put an offer in 9n our first boat today and it was accepted. They want a quick sale so need to move quickly. We have done a few hires but still feel fair,y novice znd will probably take ownership before we get chance to do the Rya helmsman course. The boat is currently on the Lancaster canal and we're not confident enough do the ribble link. We're therefore going to move the boat by lorry. We understand the cost to transport is oartly based on distance travelled and our final destination is Nottingham. Can anyone recommend a good place and the ability,to refloat iit? We're happy to spend a week sailing it to Nottingham and canal planner currently says 12 days at 7hrs a day from where it is now.

I am looking to buy another boat, and unfortunately three that interest me are on the Lancaster, in Boston Lincs, and Worksop.

All three would involve transit of tidal waters (of which I have no experience) so if I was to buy one, it would need to be transported by road,and also the water situation at the moment is "iffy" 

I have previously used Shiply to move a boat. Shiply is a sort of clearing house for boat movers,and if you put details of the boat and from/to you will get several quotes.

10 minutes ago, Mad Harold said:

I am looking to buy another boat, and unfortunately three that interest me are on the Lancaster, in Boston Lincs, and Worksop.

All three would involve transit of tidal waters (of which I have no experience) so if I was to buy one, it would need to be transported by road,and also the water situation at the moment is "iffy" 

I have previously used Shiply to move a boat. Shiply is a sort of clearing house for boat movers,and if you put details of the boat and from/to you will get several quotes.

Having recently done the Ribble Link for the first time in both directions, if you have a boat that doesn't over heat then there is no problem, you will be at high RPM for approx 2 hours, choose a crossing at the higher Tide levels, you'll be fine.

Bod

• Greenie 1

19 minutes ago, Mad Harold said:

Tidal rivers are nothing to worry about, they also want to sail it home themselves. 
  Why don’t you use one of the Shipley boat movers to move your new boat? I’m sure you could find one cheaper then a couple of crane lifts and transport?

28 minutes ago, Mad Harold said:

If you have, as you do, previous boating experience, a decent reliable engine and do your homework and planning, have anchor, lifejacket etc, crossing the Ribble shouldn't be beyond your skillset. Are you looking for another GRP or going back to steel NB? My experience of it is only in GRP cruiser and small sailboat but saw plenty of steel tubes doing it.

As a caveat, Shiply has all kinds of couriers bidding for business and various types of loads. When I asked for bids to shift a small yacht from Devon up north, they returned with wildly differing quotes. Some of the real lowball ones had obviously never moved a boat before, man with transit and towbar. Others were mainly car/caravan movers and a couple of professional boat movers at the top end price wise but with the right rig and knowledge to do the job properly. Didn't make the purchase in the end but was enlightening to see the range of people who thought that they were qualified and equipped to shift a boat.

31 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

Wakefield, then you could do some of the quiet canals before going out at Keadby to Cromwell, Newark Nottingham.  The Trent is nothing to worry about.

An exellent idea. An easy and varied route. Pick the right weather and tide for the Trent and its fabulous. Also plenty of decent water going that route and avoiding the muddy ditch system all the way.

26 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

Tidal rivers are nothing to worry about, they also want to sail it home themselves. 
  Why don’t you use one of the Shipley boat movers to move your new boat? I’m sure you could find one cheaper then a couple of crane lifts and transport?

When the OP said the Lancaster canal I immediately thought GRP cruiser and not a 57ft battleship.

So a cheaper way would be to get someone through Shiply to sail your boat across the Ribble Link and you to take it from there.

3 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

Most on here think battleships not canoes 😊

But not all of us 🙂

The OP's question is pretty much open. If it's a GRP cruiser that can be slipped on/off a trailer, then easy enough to get it moved and find a cheap slip close to final destination.

Big steel boat requiring cranes, going to be more expensive and probably fewer lift/launch places for such heavy equipment. 

22 minutes ago, BilgePump said:

If you have, as you do, previous boating experience, a decent reliable engine and do your homework and planning, have anchor, lifejacket etc, crossing the Ribble shouldn't be beyond your skillset. Are you looking for another GRP or going back to steel NB? My experience of it is only in GRP cruiser and small sailboat but saw plenty of steel tubes doing it.

As a caveat, Shiply has all kinds of couriers bidding for business and various types of loads. When I asked for bids to shift a small yacht from Devon up north, they returned with wildly differing quotes. Some of the real lowball ones had obviously never moved a boat before, man with transit and towbar. Others were mainly car/caravan movers and a couple of professional boat movers at the top end price wise but with the right rig and knowledge to do the job properly. Didn't make the purchase in the end but was enlightening to see the range of people who thought that they were qualified and equipped to shift a boat.

58ft narrowboat 

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Bod said:

Having recently done the Ribble Link for the first time in both directions, if you have a boat that doesn't over heat then there is no problem, you will be at high RPM for approx 2 hours, choose a crossing at the higher Tide levels, you'll be fine.

Bod

There's the rub. I doubt the OP will know if the boat is adequately cooled or overheats until he/she is in a position to rev the engine hard in open water. 

Edited by blackrose

Oops, sorry for missing the 58' NB bit. If you're not going to have the chance to get to know the boat before moving it, and find its faults and quirks, and are keen to have it moved by road, then I'd suggest trying to find a launch site close to your planned mooring, and ironing out any problems from there. It's not cheap, and the cranes are the big expense if you have to hire them for just your own boat

14 minutes ago, BilgePump said:

But not all of us 🙂

The OP's question is pretty much open. If it's a GRP cruiser that can be slipped on/off a trailer, then easy enough to get it moved and find a cheap slip close to final destination.

Big steel boat requiring cranes, going to be more expensive and probably fewer lift/launch places for such heavy equipment. 

Not really that open, If you read the OP’s previous they have always discussed buying a Narrowboat and have not once mentioned GRP’s🙂

• Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, blackrose said:

There's the rub. I doubt the OP will know if the boat is adequately cooled or overheats until he/she is in a position to rev the engine hard in open water. 

Yes new boat to us. Will have only sailed from garstang to start of ribble link. Engine has been flushed and fully serviced but not had any serious use since vendor did it 2 weeks ago before putting on sale (engine had issues before the repair work)

1 minute ago, PD1964 said:

Not really that open, If you read the OP’s previous they have always discussed buying a Narrowboat and have not once mentioned GRP’s🙂

I know, missed the post clarifying it as a 58'er, and like Harold when Lancaster is mentioned I can easily think of a 27' GRP cruiser

6 minutes ago, BilgePump said:

It's not cheap, and the cranes are the big expense if you have to hire them for just your own boat

That’s why I mentioned Wakefield as they have a crane on site, other option maybe Debdale Wharf Marina and travel in through Leicester and the Sour. This would be the best option IMO.