Narrowboat on River Severn below Portishead

JohnEW2912

Featured Posts

So, my wife is staying with our nephew in Portishead. They have a view right over the Severn estuary to Wales. This morning around high tide she saw what appears to be a narrowboat going up stream below the marina. Anyone what it could have been and where it could have come from?

0F3A8BB8-BAE1-42A0-844A-262720CA9B38.jpeg.d95e88228e06837e67756f26729b62e7.jpeg

On 18/07/2022 at 07:34, Bargebuilder said:

This picture is from 2016 and I think it's Ilfracombe. The boat seems to be better suited to lumpy water than most.Screenshot_2022-07-18-07-30-41-87_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg.9346e4e4d1fffbbe4a202517591170a7.jpg

Here is a commendably honest article about this trip. The RNLI were quite busy that day .....

http://judgefamily.synology.me/scholargypsy/articles/Ilfracombe.pdf

12 minutes ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

Here is a commendably honest article about this trip. The RNLI were quite busy that day .....

http://judgefamily.synology.me/scholargypsy/articles/Ilfracombe.pdf

The lesson "Do not put to sea in a narrowboat"

But whoevem much you explain to folks not to do something, they will,  just ask IanD

• Greenie 1

• 2 months later...
On 19/07/2022 at 21:58, Alan de Enfield said:

The lesson "Do not put to sea in a narrowboat"

But whoevem much you explain to folks not to do something, they will,  just ask IanD

You just can't resist any opportunity for a dig, can you?

Haven't you got anything better to do, like horrifying a newbie about to go out on a river in safe conditions by posting a photo of an (extremely rare) sunken boat?

To be clear, your advice was absolutely fine, but the photo was pure Daily-Wail-style scaremongering -- would you really have been happy if she'd cancelled that part of her trip and turned back as a result?

I know you believe in taking every possible safety precaution -- justified or not -- but that was taking it too far... 😞

Edited by IanD
  • Greenie 1