Mooring in birmingham

AJB1

Featured Posts

8 hours ago, Tim Lewis said:

The Hydrogen boat was still there last September!

hydro 2.jpg

It was on the move assisted by a generator on 23 September 2021 so it must have been just after you passed it. Here it is on the towpath DSCF5667.JPG

5 hours ago, Philip said:

That's an awful reply to a genuine and polite question. 

Agreed, it's not always easy to use the search facility for specific enquiries. Any forumite should be treated with respect, particularly newbies.

Plus this enquiry provided some periferral information, as it often does.

Edited by LadyG

I've not moored there overnight but the Vale to me looks okay, and I was a student in then Lake Hall some twenty ish years ago and don't remember us going rampaging along the canals. Failing that I'd got Alvechurch, handy with the train and well out in the country, easily doable in 4 or 5 hours from the centre. There may be some 7 day restrictions there, so maybe you need to go at the ends. 

• Greenie 1

The Vale is a recognised mooring site but otherwise it’s not easy to moor on the towpath along the stretch past University as there’s a ridge of sandstone protruding just below the water line.

The boats that were moored on the offside at the University itself (The Vale is opposite halls of residence rather than the University proper) were moved for the construction of the new University station building and the associated bridge over the canal which now occupies the site.

I don’t know what happened to the hydrogen boat. Haven’t seen it moored elsewhere.

1 hour ago, Captain Pegg said:

The Vale is a recognised mooring site but otherwise it’s not easy to moor on the towpath along the stretch past University as there’s a ridge of sandstone protruding just below the water line.

The boats that were moored on the offside at the University itself (The Vale is opposite halls of residence rather than the University proper) were moved for the construction of the new University station building and the associated bridge over the canal which now occupies the site.

I don’t know what happened to the hydrogen boat. Haven’t seen it moored elsewhere.

The ridge of sandstone is between bridges 83 and 84.  Between the aqueduct and bridge 83 is a bit shallow but generally ok for mooring unless you have a deep drafted boat.  There is some noise from trains though which is why just north of the aqueduct works well because there's an embankment which blocks the noise.  I rarely see anyone mooring there though.

I've done a bit of checking and it looks like the hull was scrapped but the hydrogen cell and other stuff has gone back to the university.

42 minutes ago, doratheexplorer said:

The ridge of sandstone is between bridges 83 and 84.  Between the aqueduct and bridge 83 is a bit shallow but generally ok for mooring unless you have a deep drafted boat.  There is some noise from trains though which is why just north of the aqueduct works well because there's an embankment which blocks the noise.  I rarely see anyone mooring there though.

I've done a bit of checking and it looks like the hull was scrapped but the hydrogen cell and other stuff has gone back to the university.

I think I that ridge may relate to the changes to the canal from the time when the railway was constructed that Heartland referenced in another thread.

It only seems to exist where the canal and railway are in immediate proximity.

34 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

I think I that ridge may relate to the changes to the canal from the time when the railway was constructed that Heartland referenced in another thread.

It only seems to exist where the canal and railway are in immediate proximity.

You might be right.  The place where the ridge sticks out is where the towpath goes right against the railway line.  The place I've moored before, near the hydrogen boat, there is a thin strip of vegetation between the canal and the railway.

image.png.7878a0ce42847a34e5d73b33eceffcb7.png

6 hours ago, Captain Pegg said:

It probably moved to London, got the interior painted white and is now sporting a notice saying "Cannot move, awaiting hydrogen delivery from  fuel boat. CRT aware". 😂🤣

7 hours ago, IanM said:

There were new bollards and signs just south of Bridge 80 back in June.  Can't remember whether it was 48 hours or 14 days.

South, or north? I think there’s long been bollards near the winding hole but I think there are new bollards at the recent development to the north of the bridge where the new wharf that will form part of the junction with the Lapal/Dudley Canal will be.

5 hours ago, doratheexplorer said:

You might be right.  The place where the ridge sticks out is where the towpath goes right against the railway line.  The place I've moored before, near the hydrogen boat, there is a thin strip of vegetation between the canal and the railway.

image.png.7878a0ce42847a34e5d73b33eceffcb7.png

When passing a few years back I tried to get in to the towpath near the hydrogen boat in order to clear the prop and just couldn’t get close.