Mooring in birmingham

AJB1

Featured Posts

Can anyone recommend somewhere on the Birmingham and Worcester canal coming out of Birmingham that is good for a 14day mooring please? We are not sure about leaving it in a city. Also the commonwealth games are on!

thanks.

1 hour ago, AJB1 said:

Can anyone recommend somewhere on the Birmingham and Worcester canal coming out of Birmingham that is good for a 14day mooring please? We are not sure about leaving it in a city. Also the commonwealth games are on!

thanks.

This enquiry has been done to death, don't be lazy, use the "search" button.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, AJB1 said:

thanks.

Right hand side by the University 

2 hours ago, AJB1 said:

thanks.

Normally I would say the city centre 14 day moorings (eg Cambrian Basin) are “safer” than eg the Vale (opposite the Uni). However as you say, with the Games being on the moorings will likely all be taken and I think CRT have introduced a booking system.

1 hour ago, Rob-M said:

All the Birmingham moorings have been made 4 days I think during the games. There was a stoppage notice last week.

It is only as far as St Vincent Street bridge that revert to 4 days, the other side of the bridge stays as 14 day, although I don't think leaving a boat unattended there for 2 weeks is a great idea.  Sherbourne Wharf would be an option, but you would think they would be booked up if this is over the games period.  You could look at one of the boatyards at Alvechurch or Tardibigge.

1 hour ago, Goliath said:

Does Sherborne Wharf still offer moorings?
You could pay your pound instead of dumping a boat and denying a visitor space for the games. 

🤷‍♀️just an idea. 

Yes, we had a visitor mooring a few weeks ago.

• Happy 1

1 hour ago, Mike55 said:

Not quite where the OP wants, but we used Lyons boatyard on the North Stratford a few years ago. They were very helpful.

I’m presuming the OP wants to leave their boat unattended for 14days in Brum for free. 

Edited by Goliath

20 hours ago, nicknorman said:

Normally I would say the city centre 14 day moorings (eg Cambrian Basin) are “safer” than eg the Vale (opposite the Uni). However as you say, with the Games being on the moorings will likely all be taken and I think CRT have introduced a booking system.

The Vale isn't opposite the uni as such, it's opposite the student accomodation.  It's a good place to moor.  Further down opposite the actual uni is also good but a little shallow against the towpath (moor near the hydrogen boat or further along before the aqueduct.  It's especially handy if you want to leave you boat and head away by train.

• Happy 1

2 minutes ago, Goliath said:

Didnt that hydrogen boat have its own private mooring ?

If so, is the mooring still there? and can we now use it?

That mooring is no longer there.

2 hours ago, Rob-M said:

Now moored in one of the pounds on The Crow.

I expected to see him poked up the end of the Bradley Arm when we passed

2 hours ago, Goliath said:

That’s a shame. 
What was story behind the boat? Any idea why it’s gone. It must have been successful for awhile?
Or was it simply an experiment or project that proved unviable?

Just an experiment by the university. I never saw it move until the day it left for good and then it didn't get very fare even using a Honda genny

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, Stroudwater1 said:

Its not bad by the Bournville station area theres often hire boats that overnight there too 

Its 2 days this time of the year and a couple of long term moorers on the offside just back from the gated moorings