Wolverhampton Flight

Featured Posts

20220715_120401.jpg.d153882572b0353c066ab07393d729e8.jpgBy our standards we had an epic day yesterday travelling from Brewood  to the black Country museum. The Wolverhampton flight was a pleasure -  everything worked and the locks were virtually all empty as we arrived.

Between Wolverhampton and the museum was another matter altogether. The water level was down about 6 inches or more and the weed was really cloggy. Since owning this boat for the last 4 years I've only needed to go down the weed hatch twice, and both of them were yesterday afternoon.

Edited by davidb
To add picture

1 hour ago, davidb said:

20220715_120401.jpg.d153882572b0353c066ab07393d729e8.jpgBy our standards we had an epic day yesterday travelling from Brewood  to the black Country museum. The Wolverhampton flight was a pleasure -  everything worked and the locks were virtually all empty as we arrived.

Between Wolverhampton and the museum was another matter altogether. The water level was down about 6 inches or more and the weed was really cloggy. Since owning this boat for the last 4 years I've only needed to go down the weed hatch twice, and both of them were yesterday afternoon.

Is this the first time you have taken the boat out in 4 years?

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, davidb said:

Lurve the spaceman graffito! 

2 hours ago, davidb said:

Last time I came through there a couple of months ago that stretch above Wolverhampton was terrible, the worst bit was the wheelie bins floating just submerged with their lids flapping, you only saw them just before you hit them as they float upright. Fortunately too big to wrap around the prop!

It is certainly the first time we have been through the BCN. Normally with careful use of Astern the prop clears itself very well, but I pulled over far too far to one side in one of the lock pounds and I think that's where the trouble started with a hoodie and a long length of thin wire. 

For the length of the wolverhampton level we didn't see one other boat moving until we met the the tunnel trip boat right on the blind Dudley canal junction.typical!

Edited by davidb
Spelling

The old main line is lovely with such clear water and now the Wolverhampton flight has that too. 

We were on this at the end of June and the BCLM pound level was fine. Isn’t it fed from Titford pools? 

However the water lilies now on the main line to Wolverhampton as well as the Old line from the end of the M5 onto the main line at Factory locks are really terrible and even with the level 6 inches higher it’s getting shallow in parts. It really needs dealing with as it’s a cycle of weeds deterring use so the lilies spread further out.

Thankfully it was just after the BCN challenge (Thanks all 😉) and we have a large prop so didn’t need to go down the weedhatch this time 

We passed through Birmingham and Wolverhampton earlier in the month from the Birmingham and Fazely. Moored in Oozels Street Loop then to the Black Country Living Museum via the Old Main line then down the Wolverhampton flight. This was our first trip on these canals, we met no boats on the Old Main line and enjoyed seeing all the fish in the clear water. We passed a couple of boats from the BCLM to Wolverhampton and 3 or 4 on the flight. The only weedhatch trip was to remove some genuine weed including bramble stems when I pulled over to drop the rubbish off at Wolverhampton services.

Came up yesterday, can confirm the water is still that clear.

Cleared the weedhatch at the top, and again at John the Lock mooring in Tipton.  But had to "blast of reverse" to clear the prop many times.  Going slow, 1/2 speed seamed not to attract the weed quite so much.

Tipton water is clear enough for the fish to get a sun tan!  Weeds clearly visible.

Bod.

• Happy 1

Oh, what I really meant to point out is the services are out of order and the steel door to the yard is locked. 

But you’ll be glad to hear there’s a lovely blue sign pointing you in to the services that are out of order. 
With plenty of weed to greet you too. 

Looks like the club has expanded out into the car park with a bar and seating area. 

No CRT working boats there either. 

Are ‘they’ still going to develop this yard?

2 minutes ago, Victor Vectis said:

Yeahbut......

How was the Great Western?

:cheers:

Don’t wanna leave. 

I’m on something called Bathams?

Ever heard of it?

😂😂

I’ll have one more!

Edited by Goliath
To add: they’re charging top price at £3.95!
  • Greenie 1

Dunno.

But Holdens beers ain't bad either.

I'm convinced their 'Golden Glow' is brewed to the same receipe as Bathams bitter.

Have one for me. My pic was taken at the Bull & Bladder quite a while back.

I don't think any Bathams has ever made it to the Isle of Wight.

19 minutes ago, Victor Vectis said:

Dunno.

But Holdens beers ain't bad either.

I'm convinced their 'Golden Glow' is brewed to the same receipe as Bathams bitter.

Have one for me. My pic was taken at the Bull & Bladder quite a while back.

I don't think any Bathams has ever made it to the Isle of Wight.

Right on!

I guess I can’t ignore the Fountain tomorrow on the way to Brum. 

Another lost weekend. 😃

to add : you’re right, the Holdens beer is lovely. 

I drank Bank’s the other day having thought I’d never be doing that again but it was lovely. Even tried the Mild!

Edited by Goliath

On 22/07/2022 at 11:54, Corixa said:

We did the flight up and down 2 weeks ago. What a haven for Coots it is, I have never seen so many family groups abutting each other most of the way from Wolverhampton to the BCLM.

Coots like altitude. Apparently.

Moorhens and ducks are pretty much universal on canals but coots seem to appear only in selected places; and the Wolverhampton level is most definitely one of them.

The worst thing about the BCN - which is otherwise marvellous - is the prevalence of Canada geese.

1 hour ago, Goliath said:

D082C24C-1676-4657-8256-7959FE5F242C.jpeg.a3923f35fcc0fb5a701d7b684a56dab7.jpeg

Why oh why do the photos take on whatever rotation they please?

I hope you’ve obeyed that instruction behind the pint.

It’s a sackable offence not to.

Edited by Captain Pegg
  • Happy 1