Practical advice for dealing with the heat onboard

DShK

Featured Posts

6 minutes ago, Tony1 said:

Apologies if this has been mentioned already, I haven't read all the posts- I use portable/rechargeable fans.

They're small enough to fold down fairly small and pack away for the rest of the year, but they have I think 7 inch diameter blades, and they give off a half-decent breeze on maximum setting for about 3 hours. 

On heatwave days I have a fan within 3 feet of me at all times, set to maximum. 

There are always two spare fans recharging, so I'm never without a breeze.

They're great on the very warm nights to set on a low speed and keep the air moving in the bedroom whilst you sleep. 

And at the risk of getting the ladies over-excited, I must confess that I don't wear a shirt indoors on heatwave days. 

Just a string vest

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Tony1 said:

So you're going for the more traditional steptoe and son vibe, circa 1975? 

Be still my beating heart 😀

Steptoe, Tomorrow Minister, Citizen Smith. The young seem to like our era for music but not so keen on our TV programs. 

26 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Not a problem, the stove can go anywhere and the gas canister in the gas locker

I never considered that I should keep those cannisters in the gas locker too. Makes sense really, will start doing that!

I still maintain that the 70s was the richest musical decade, for the sheer range and innovation. 

The problem is that there were a few TV shows that portrayed the cultural values of the time regarding race, and things have changed a lot since then. 

There were phrases used in some TV shows that would not be considered acceptable today, and some comedians (like Jim Davidson) portrayed stereotypes of different races in a way that people would not be comfortable with today. 

Societies have tended to develop and often to improve over time, and in my personal view we are a more open-minded, understanding and progressive society than we were 50 years ago - and we are all the better for it. And in turn the 1970s were better than the 1920s- which were better than the 1870s- and so on. 

I think older people sometimes struggle to fully realise that some of the attitudes that were fine in their youth are no longer acceptable. 

They resent being told that language/attitudes which were totally fine 50 years ago are no longer acceptable, and in fairness there have been a few cherished values and ways of life that have been lost since the 1970s- but maybe that's always the way progress just has to be? 

Whether the ongoing progression of society is ultimately going to be a good thing for humanity on the whole is where the debate lies. 

Personally, I'm all for progress.

• Greenie 2

55 minutes ago, Tony1 said:

Societies have tended to develop and often to improve over time, and in my personal view we are a more open-minded, understanding and progressive society than we were 50 years ago - and we are all the better for it.

But recent events in the US would suggest that some of those changes are now heading in the opposite direction.

• Greenie 1

2 minutes ago, David Mack said:

But recent events in the US would suggest that some of those changes are now heading in the opposite direction.

Indeed. In many states women are trying to come to terms with the fact that abortion has been made effectively illegal, and it appears the court's next target is gay marriage. 

I think that humanity tends to stumble forwards in a generally progressive and positive direction, and our progress is certainly not linear or smooth.

One can only hope that the US emerges from this dark time with its democratic systems renewed and strengthened, but at the moment the malignant elderly white politicians, and the billionaires who pay them, seem to have the initiative. 

• Greenie 2

2 hours ago, Peugeot 106 said:

Steptoe, Tomorrow Minister, Citizen Smith. The young seem to like our era for music but not so keen on our TV programs. 

The music was good (well, plenty wasn't but we manage to forget that). The TV was dreadful and broadcasters seem to think we want to remember just how bad.

Funnily enough, at lunchtime today we got round to talking about TV programmes that wouldn't be made today, like "Billy Bunter" , featuring a rather over-weight public schoolboy  (with a minor character pupil from a wealthy Indian family whose catchphrase was "The xxxxx is terrific", where xxxxx was whatever they were talking about), and "Whacko", featuring Jimmy Edwards as a bewhiskered, cane-wielding public school headmaster, instructing miscreants to "Bend over!", although I think something always interrupted the execution of the punishment. 

Edited by Ronaldo47
typos

6 minutes ago, Ronaldo47 said:

Funnily enough, at lunchtime today we got round to talking about TV programmes that wouldn't be made today, like "Billy Bunter" , featuring a rather over-weight public schoolboy  (with a minor character pupil from a wealthy Indian family whose catchphrase was "The xxxxx is terrific", where xxxxx was whatever they were talking about), and "Whacko", featuring Jimmy Edwards as a bewhiskered, cane-wielding public school headmaster. 

Yaroo!!!!

On 15/07/2022 at 10:58, buccaneer66 said:

Old advice from Landrover, the safari version has another roof to create an air gap to help cooling, anything that can go on the roof with a gap between it and the steel will help.

P1060617.jpg

OK, so why not install a second roof on a narrowboat?  Won't help this summer, but maybe next?

Would rust be a problem?

On 15/07/2022 at 09:18, Alan de Enfield said:

Do not give the dog water with ice cubes in it. A Hot dog (no not that sort !) can be killed by giving it chilled water.

Found this, not sure it helps.  YMMV

https://www.petguide.com/health/dog/is-ice-water-really-dangerous-for-dogs/

• Greenie 1

If you have an engine in the traditional engine room try not to run the engine too late in the day as you will have to wait for the engine to cool down before you can sleep. As it will be adding latent heat to the cabin.

11 hours ago, Jimbo435 said:

OK, so why not install a second roof on a narrowboat?  Won't help this summer, but maybe next?

Would rust be a problem?

Many narrowboats have one already. Rigid solar panels, spaced off the roof, are converting up to 20% of the sunlight in to lovely electricity. Downside is they are nearly black, so absorbing a lot of the rest and heating up, but the spacing gives an insulating air gap to the real roof. Another advantage they have over stick on flexible panels, which are also nearly black, but conducting that heat straight in to the boat roof.

39 minutes ago, Tonka said:

If you have an engine in the traditional engine room try not to run the engine too late in the day as you will have to wait for the engine to cool down before you can sleep. As it will be adding latent heat to the cabin.

There shouldn't be a phase change in your engine coolant, unless you have raw water cooling and the inlet gets blocked!

1 minute ago, David Mack said:

There shouldn't be a phase change in your engine coolant, unless you have raw water cooling and the inlet gets blocked!

Maybe latent is the wrong word. But you know what I mean I hope

15 hours ago, Ronaldo47 said:

Funnily enough, at lunchtime today we got round to talking about TV programmes that wouldn't be made today, like "Billy Bunter" , featuring a rather over-weight public schoolboy  (with a minor character pupil from a wealthy Indian family whose catchphrase was "The xxxxx is terrific", where xxxxx was whatever they were talking about)

“Hurree Jamset Ram Singh” was the character’s name, and he would say “ the xxxxxfulness is terrific”.

hth

Thanks for that, I didn't recall the name or the exact phraseology! 

At that time, most programmes went out live, and repeating a programme involved re-assembling the cast and doing it live all over again. Even if they had been recorded,  I understand that a BBC archivist, at her own initiative, dumped lots of old programmes recorded on back & white 16mm film to make space, thinking that, with all new  programmes being made in colour, the old black & white stuff was of no interest.