Practical advice for dealing with the heat onboard

DShK

Featured Posts

Just now, BEngo said:

The solution to excessive heat is simple.  Moor up in any one of the broad tunnels.  Available on the GU, GU Leicester line,  Worcs and Birmingham and possibly the Leeds and Liverpool, if there is any water.  Mudweight fore and aft will sort it.

If you have a really bright, preferably cold white LED light  at both ends passing boats will not be able to tell which way you are going and will simply assume that you have stopped to let them pass.

N

Or use the same principle as people do, which is that being submerged in cool water is an excellent way to deal with the heat. Sink your boat, job done... :-)

Moored up in a nicely shaded area, chucked a bunch of stuff on my roof and suspended a bunch of damp white towels/sheets on top. Tin foil covers all portholes/prisms. Seems fairly cool so far, we'll see how I fair monday/tuesday!

wCFEyInpsA.jpg

4 hours ago, Tracy D'arth said:

Could someone please move a glacier into the Leeds Liverpool canal and  into the Ashby canal?

And another one to the South Oxford, around Banbury, to offset the problems caused by the recent (according to CRT) "vandalism".

One of the opening roof hatches on the van has a 12v fan in it. It does a really good job of getting the air moving around the van and keeping it feeling cooler.

Would have loved one on the boat.

It really is very effective.

Get a solar powered pond pump and connect it to a plant drip feed hose spread over the roof and running down the sunny side of their cabin, cooling by evaporation will get you a big drop in temp inside. We had this set up years ago and it was like a fridge inside, it's not a theory it really works. 

Down sides are using a lot of solar power and you need to clean pump filter and the silt off the boat on a regular basis. 

• Happy 1

36 degrees C shown by the Met office on the BBC website in my area, but only 32C inside my boat in the shade with all doors, windows and hatches open according to my Oregon Scientific digital thermometer. Maybe my thermometer is wrong but I just checked it with a second cheap digital meter weeks it's about right? My thermometer says 32C outside too. 

image.png.73547c711fc037fbe5be1bd94aadebcb.png

16 hours ago, waterworks said:

Get a solar powered pond pump and connect it to a plant drip feed hose spread over the roof and running down the sunny side of their cabin, cooling by evaporation will get you a big drop in temp inside. We had this set up years ago and it was like a fridge inside, it's not a theory it really works. 

Down sides are using a lot of solar power and you need to clean pump filter and the silt off the boat on a regular basis. 

See my previous post. There are mixed reports on whether it works significantly or not.

Edited by blackrose

1 hour ago, blackrose said:

This is how some people in Northamptonshire have been dealing with the heat.

I went in myself yesterday and had a good swim. 

IMG-20220718-WA0000.jpg

At least 10 people have died since the beginning of this heatwave as a result of trying to cool off in rivers, canals and lakes!

2 minutes ago, David Mack said:

At least 10 people have died since the beginning of this heatwave as a result of trying to cool off in rivers, canals and lakes!

And how many have died on the roads ? 

17 minutes ago, Tonka said:

And how many have died on the roads ? 

I'm sure it's a great consolation to the families of those who drowned to know that even more people are equally distraught because of road accidents... 😞

13 minutes ago, IanD said:

I'm sure it's a great consolation to the families of those who drowned to know that even more people are equally distraught because of road accidents... 😞

so are you suggesting we drain or fence off all the canals and rivers.

12 minutes ago, Tonka said:

so are you suggesting we drain or fence off all the canals and rivers.

No, I'm suggesting that your comment about "how many have died on the roads" in response to the fact that 10 people have died by drowning was utterly contemptible.

Presumably you subscribe to Alan's premise that it's their fault anyway and it's Darwinism in action? Why don't you go and tell that to their families?

Edited by IanD

10 minutes ago, DShK said:

Seems like a poor idea to swim in the canal either way. So polluted and full of disease. Most waterways are now.

Waterways in the UK are getting cleaner year on year. 

Would I swim in the canal where there are moorings...noooo. 

Edited by waterworks

11 minutes ago, DShK said:

Seems like a poor idea to swim in the canal either way. So polluted and full of disease. Most waterways are now.

Not so sure how true this is. It’s worth reading the wild swimmers guidance. Weil’s disease for one is according to them grossly overhyped. I think a lot of canals are probably reasonably safe as long as you cover cuts, keep your gob shut and have a shower. Loads of kids in them seem to survive. You would also have to be careful of under water obstructions especially fishing live which worries me

Obviously there are serious risks if you don’t take care but i’m In with Mtb and Mack

1 hour ago, Ianws said:

I'm pretty sure @tree monkey would agree.

1 hour ago, Peugeot 106 said:

Not so sure how true this is. It’s worth reading the wild swimmers guidance. Weil’s disease for one is according to them grossly overhyped. I think a lot of canals are probably reasonably safe as long as you cover cuts, keep your gob shut and have a shower. Loads of kids in them seem to survive. You would also have to be careful of under water obstructions especially fishing live which worries me

Obviously there are serious risks if you don’t take care but i’m In with Mtb and Mack

I took precautions and caught weils, as far as i was aware I had no cuts and I have no memory of being splashed in the eyes or mouth, I also had a shower immediately afterwards.

I have also been to hospital today for a scan to, I think, check my liver as a result of the infection, they found some markers of potential liver damage apparently 

Despite this I know how rare it is and how bloody unlucky I was, would I tell someone of the possible risk, yes, would I wish all people were either stopped from having a dip in the canal or banned in some way, no.

A late addition, would I swim in a canal again, not on your bloody life 

Edited by tree monkey
  • Greenie 3

3 hours ago, David Mack said:

There is surely a massive difference between having a quiet sensible dip and having a fest with gangs of mates, alcohol, birds to show off to, tombstoning, drugs etc etc?

1 minute ago, tree monkey said:

I took precautions and caught weils, as far as i was aware I had no cuts and I have no memory of being splashed in the eyes or mouth, I also had a shower immediately afterwards.

Despite this I know how rare it is and how bloody unlucky I was, would I tell someone of the possible risk, yes, would I wish all people were either stopped from having a dip in the canal or banned in some way, no.

Good on you.

On 17/07/2022 at 17:26, Peugeot 106 said:

Preston Brook is ideal. Just take 30 minutes each way. Spend 24 hours day in it.  Quite legal and safe?and you only need pop out at each end to turn around

Wast Hills was very nice and CRT say if you do 2 MPH you are in there for an hour. I think they buy their calculators in the same shop as their rulers 

DSCF6893 (2).JPG